PDA

View Full Version : Trying to walk

Kcarriedo
03-05-2003, 12:52 AM
I have designed a monster, but when it comes to making it walk in layout it look bad.

I used weight maps and IK, but the timming is off.

Is there a easy way of making him walk>

oxygen_77
03-05-2003, 10:20 AM
There was a post at CgTalk by Proton that showed you how to set up a walk cycle for a biped... if you go there you should be able to search for his post. Now that I think of it though, it's probably also listed in the tutorials on this site... Good luck!

Samba
03-05-2003, 10:25 AM
No, I don't think there is an easy way to make a character walk; especially to obtain a right timing. Try this , it may help...http://www.anzovin.com/reviews/column9.html

Kcarriedo
03-05-2003, 01:22 PM
thanks any thing at this point will help =)

greyna
03-07-2003, 02:48 AM
You might want to consider buying Preston Blair's book, "Cartoon Animation", which has been used by pencil & paper animators for decades. There are examples of all kinds of walks, runs, skips etc in there, and from a number of angles as well. Also includes four-legged walks & runs (dogs & horses).

Recently, Richard Williams has released a book which is a revised version of another gold mine for animators.

Although there are many differences between 2D and 3D, there are many things that are the same as well. A walk has always been one of the most difficult, and also rewarding things to animate. Realistic human characters can all-too-easily come out stiff and stilted so film makers have sometimes chosen to use "rotoscope" which is more or less a tracing of a human's walk from film. In my opinion this technique loses all the character of an animated walk because it is too "perfect". But OTOH, it worked for "Sleeping Beauty", "Snow White" and characters like that --but that was probably because those characters were surrounded by some of the most interesting and charming "cartoon" characters in the fairy godmothers and the seven dwarves.

Greg