PDA

View Full Version : What if SoftImage had been a cloud only Program? (Consequences for Users, 3rd Party)

robertoortiz
03-07-2014, 05:15 AM
Hi guys,
What if SoftImage had been a cloud only Program?
And by cloud, I mean a TRUE "Cloud" Solution.
This would mean that the program itself, and maybe the data, would be housed in a remote Autodesk server.
Maybe in a Malaysian flood plain.

I do wonder what this EOL move by Autodesk would have meant?
What do you think guys would have been the Consequences for Users?
How about 3rd Party developers?
Or studios with a Sotimage pipeline?

(I am posting this to make a point about the "magic Cloud" , because I don't want to derail the main thread.)

I am looking forward to your comments

-R

geo_n
03-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Softimage on cloud! Thats a win win. Love the cloud. The internet is a cloud if you think about it. If you fear the cloud then fear the internet and work with your workstation with the network disconnected. But don't take the choice away from users who love the cloud by campaigning againts the cloud all the time.

GandB
03-07-2014, 09:03 AM
I think the point Robert is trying to make, is that in that scenario, if the Cloud went down....so does your productivity. That doesn't occur in that manner, on a disconnected (or non-cloud) workstation. The Cloud is only good, till it bites you for the first time. I, for one, don't like to plan my work around whether the Cloud will be online...or if my internet provider is feeling "frisky" that particular day. You can feel free to do so, as that's your choice. I'm perfectly happy for there to be a cloud option...so long as that's not the only option.

roboman
03-07-2014, 09:17 AM
It's a gamble and trade off. You get to use as many licensees of costly program as you want for a low (ish) monthly fee and the upgrades just happen with out you having to do a thing. The down side, the upgrades happen and things may start to work and look different in the middle of a project, connectivity problems can stop a project, the company can drop the product or hold your work and assets hostage. I think something in the middle is a great idea, where you have a copy of each program on your system or at least on a cd/dvd and you can rent several more copies, if you need them for a project. A couple years ago I hadn't upgraded since ver 7, hadn't really even used lightwave for a few years and got ask to redo a video I did in ver 5. I loaded up 5, made the edits, life was good. I played around with 7 again and did a small project, decided to upgrade to 10 that was just getting ready to come out. Trying to step back and do that with rented software would have been hard to imposable. As would have been pulling up the cad drawing 2 weeks ago that was done in the 90's using a cad program from a company that has been out of business for more then 10 years.....

Owning a copy and renting any additional copies does sound like a great way to go. Having the ability to rent software to try it out or learn it also seems like a good idea. Having another company totally control the software you are counting on to make a living and finish a project, just sounds like an extra risk I don't want to deal with. On the other hand I do know a number of companies who rent every thing and some of them do very well....

Tranimatronic
03-07-2014, 12:04 PM
we had our TV, phone and internet through the same provider. I got fed up with paying $60 per month for TV and switched to apple TV and netflix, dumping the TV 'bundle'
This is very probably a coincidence, BUT the next month, our internet started dropping out making Netflix pause once or twice every night.
Im going to dump the internet provider, but where I live there are only a choice of 2, and I heard the other one is just as bad.

I'm VERY pleased my work has nothing to do with that internet connection.
With non-cloud software the only thing that needs to work for me to work is my computer.
For cloud software you are opening up a host of single point of failures that can cause you to be completely non-productive.

If my computer dies, then that is my responsibility, and I am fine with that down time.
For cloud, I am relying on my compuer, my router, my ISP, miles of cable, the hosts ISP, the hosts server, and forced any 'updates' not bollocking up my work.

No thanks