PDA

View Full Version : seriously this time.... a question

kiwisheep
11-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Have you guys used Okino Polytrans? www.okino.com

I would like to work with two other people but the problem is that they used a different 3D package. One guy is using Maya, another guy is using Max 6 and me - LW. Now we'd like to work on our demo reel together by creating a short animated project. We decided to use LW renderer over Maya's Mental Ray or Max's Final Render. I think LW renderer is the sweetest still out there.

Now before I buy polytrans and I'd like to get some input from people who have actually used it. Any production issues with the product? Any comments or recommendation is appreciated. Thanks...

KillMe
11-19-2003, 05:04 PM
not tried the fbx plugins? might not work but on the other hand it might and they are free

cresshead
11-19-2003, 05:40 PM
also if you need to go from lw to max there's a plugin that will import lwo files..go:

www.maxplugins.de

and for maya there's a maya to lightwave script out for maya which you'll probably use..and it's free..can't remember where is it as yet though!

and yes you also should try the fbx files...

meshmaster
11-20-2003, 07:46 AM
http://www.nextlimit.com/productslw2max.htm
direct link - don't know if you can buy it, but the demo seems to work, and it seems to be the only lw to max thing out there that catches deforms in the trasit from one app to the other.

JohnL
11-20-2003, 04:42 PM
We use Polytrans every day, converting 3D CAD models for rendering in LW and C4D. We haven't used it for converting between Maya or Max.

BUT, I can recommend the product as a tool for serious work. Support is world-class. The creator/owner of Okino is a man named Robert Landsdale and he is 100% dedicated to helping users out with any problem they might encounter.

SplineGod
11-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Another way would be to have everyone just render elements and comp them together in a compositing program. You could do your color correcting etc etc that way.

jin choung
11-20-2003, 10:46 PM
deep exploration is much cheaper... that's what i use.

but for deep exploration as well as polytrans, in order to translate to/from max/maya, you have to have max and maya installed!

but this is if you're considering exchanging full animation scenes.

if you just need to exchange models, simply export as .obj and .3ds.

that's what i always do and you can send models with uvs and textures no problemo.

again, this is without bones, weightmaps, etc... just basic polys with textures.

jin