PDA

View Full Version : Fiber behaviour following splines.

2create
03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm finding I'm having to use thousands of spline guides when creating fur in FiberFX which gives slow and buggy result when running through bullet dynamic.

What I expected to happen was that fiber roots that cluster around the spline remain attached to the polygon and interpolate from one spline to the other allowing for a limited number of spline to style the hair and more of a smooth result when running dynamics.

Am I missing something obvious, feels like I might be :)

Here's little diagram of how it seems to be working at the moment (A) and how it would be nice to work (B)

http://i.imgur.com/jdtYQqj.jpg

Thanks for any insight!

Dodgy
03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Are the spline guides attached to the mesh at all?

Greenlaw
03-06-2014, 06:53 PM
The fibers should be perpendicular to the surface normal unless you're using a property like Splay or have gravity enabled. I've had good results using FiberFX on producitons in the past but it's been a while since I last used it. I'll check it out tonight. (I need to start using FiberFX on an upcoming project anyway.)

BTW, you may already know this but if you're using external dynamics like Bullet or ClothFX, you need to disable Dynamic Gravity and set Gravity to 0%. That's probably not causing the problem you're seeing but you might want to check that.

G.

jwiede
03-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Also, clump and other params impact the interpolation of fibers between guides, and could explain some of what you're seeing. What settings are you using for the various fiber parameters like clump, tangle, etc?

inakito
06-17-2014, 03:58 AM
2create is right. When u using clusters, and high cluster radius, ur "new" fibers belonging to the new created cluster doesnt rest on the polygons....

Greenlaw
06-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Weird as it may seem, that's actually correct--it's possible to expand the radius beyond the edge of the surface that the guide is resting on. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can prevent this by using a mask in Density. It's been a while but I think that's what I did to 'fade off' side burns and other short hair near the edges of 'wig' objects for that DmC we did in the box a few years ago.

I could be wrong though...I really need to revisit FiberFX soon 'cause it's been so long I think I'm forgetting how to use it. :p

G.