PDA

View Full Version : Chromatic aberration in glass

Taro Yoshimoto
03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi, for my second post today I would like to ask if anyone have a recipe to cook some nice CA in a glass material...

here my reference:

thanks

RebelHill
03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Sure...

You can use the dispersion setting in either dielectric or refractions to do this... though the effect can often lack "punch" and you have little control.

For designing a custom effect, the simplest way is to use multiple refraction shaders, each set to a slightly different ior, split out to a colour component from each, and then recombined back into a full spectrum.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks RebelHill for the fast reply! I was not even expecting a solution and here I got a fast and easy one. Very appreciated. I'll try this right now.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-06-2014, 11:32 AM
You absolutly need to add Refraction blur to get that effect? (Adding blur make the renders so long...)

RebelHill
03-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Im not using any blur... Difference refraction indices on each node, not blur vals.

And btw... for an effect following the basics of reality... You use the green ior as teh "standard" ior for your material... red refracts slightly less, blue slightly more.

XswampyX
03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
It looks great! Nice and simple too. :thumbsup:

Taro Yoshimoto
03-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Difference refraction indices on each node, not blur vals.

Excellent!

Is there's a way to blur the refraction without using the standard Blur Refraction that is so long to render?