PDA

View Full Version : Who uses SSD here and what do you use it for?

yoshiii
03-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Hello

Who here uses ssd and what do you use it for?

OlaHaldor
03-05-2014, 10:05 PM
I got my first pair of SSDs March last year. Installed Windows on one and had the Steam games on the other.
Now I've installed Mac OS on the second one instead. I notice a much slower launch of games, which was expected.
Both Windows and Mac OS start in about 20 seconds vs about a minute if not more on a regular HDD.

I'd get another SSD when I can for games again. And an SSD for cache for different apps such as World Machine and TurbulenceFD perhaps.

Waves of light
03-05-2014, 11:25 PM
I have one 120GB SSD as Win Boot Drive and all main apps e.g. Lightwave and Adobe products. All other apps are on a 1TB HDD. I have all the Adobe products direct to a spare HDD, using it as a scratch disk. Windows boots in 20-25 seconds and apps load very quickly.

Danner
03-06-2014, 01:08 AM
I edit HD unconpressed video on mine. It makes a huge difference.

creacon
03-06-2014, 02:16 AM
I think you guys are adding boot/bios time to your startup time.
Windows 7 starts (after BIOS) in about 8 seconds from SSD in my machine.

creacon

I got my first pair of SSDs March last year. Installed Windows on one and had the Steam games on the other.
Now I've installed Mac OS on the second one instead. I notice a much slower launch of games, which was expected.
Both Windows and Mac OS start in about 20 seconds vs about a minute if not more on a regular HDD.

I'd get another SSD when I can for games again. And an SSD for cache for different apps such as World Machine and TurbulenceFD perhaps.

COBRASoft
03-06-2014, 03:01 AM
I have almost everything on SSD now on my desktop (except pure data files which are on a velociraptor). My laptop has 2 SSD's. I have superb results on both machines.

yoshiii
03-06-2014, 06:19 AM

Will you save your game files to SSD?

I have one 120GB SSD as Win Boot Drive and all main apps e.g. Lightwave and Adobe products. All other apps are on a 1TB HDD. I have all the Adobe products direct to a spare HDD, using it as a scratch disk. Windows boots in 20-25 seconds and apps load very quickly.

So you save your Adobe and Lightwave files to the HDD?

I edit HD unconpressed video on mine. It makes a huge difference.

Cool, do you save your files to the SSD?

I have almost everything on SSD now on my desktop (except pure data files which are on a velociraptor). My laptop has 2 SSD's. I have superb results on both machines.

Two HDD's in a laptop? Cool never heard of that before.

Greenlaw
03-06-2014, 06:52 AM
I use my SSD strictly for recording motion capture data. I have to capture RGB and depth data from 3 Kinect sensors and motion data from 3 PS Move controllers simultaneously but my main computer is several years old and hardly the fastest in the world. After I added the SSD for this purpose though, dropped frames became a thing of the past.

FYI, my understanding is that an SSD degrades with frequent usage, so I'm not sure I would depend on one without regular backups. My SSD is a couple of years old though...is this still the case with newer models?

G.

Waves of light
03-06-2014, 06:57 AM
So you save your Adobe and Lightwave files to the HDD?.

Just the program files for Adobe and Lightwave launch from my SSD. Actual files (so .psd. ai. etc.) are on a dedicated 1TB HDD. As SSD degrade over time, I also tell Adobe to use another HDD as my scratch disk (as I don't care about this one as it's from an old PC build).

yoshiii
03-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Just the program files for Adobe and Lightwave launch from my SSD. Actual files (so .psd. ai. etc.) are on a dedicated 1TB HDD. As SSD degrade over time, I also tell Adobe to use another HDD as my scratch disk (as I don't care about this one as it's from an old PC build).

Ok, so you use the SSD to operate the program but save the file on the HDD?

Waves of light
03-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Ok, so you use the SSD to operate the program but save the file on the HDD?

Yep.

Phil
03-06-2014, 08:10 AM
FYI, my understanding is that an SSD degrades with frequent usage, so I'm not sure I would depend on one without regular backups. My SSD is a couple of years old though...is this still the case with newer models?

G.

Yes, it's true. Lifetime actually gets shorter with decreasing cell (gate) size, so cells last less time in newer technology nodes. It's a fundamental physics/materials science issue with the way that the bits are stored in modern flash combined with the damage incurred in the storage medium. There are mitigation strategies (write leveling, redundancy), but at some point you run out of tricks to overcome the noise introduced. It's out-of-scope for this forum to try and explain it in great detail, so I'll refer you to Ars Technica which has a decent write-up (page 3 introduces the reliability topics and page 4 onwards is where it gets more detailed). I live and work in this world - I find it fascinating. :)

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/06/inside-the-ssd-revolution-how-solid-state-disks-really-work/

Greenlaw
03-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Ah thanks for the info! After capture to the SSD, I always copy my data to one of the hard drives before working with it, so I guess I've been on the right track with my workflow. :)

G.

Slartibartfast
03-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I think it's the single most effective way to boost your PC:s performance (will ofc not boost render performance though)! I use it as system disc (windows and programs) which as mentioned speed up boot time A LOT. If time wears it out I "just" need to reinstall win and some programs and settings. Other advantages is
-No moving parts (which probably makes it more durable in a laptop than a spinning hdd, considering unmild handling of the device, such as putting it on a desk just a liiitle to hard)
-Super quiet
-Lightweight

Actually I had to buy a new SSD recently. The old one hadn't gone bad despite several years abuse, but it was not compatible with my new MB. It only showed up occassionally in bios. I think it's worth considering its supposedly shorter lifetime, but my own experience tells me things tend to break when you need them most. No matter what the specs says. Be it USB-memorysticks or SSD or HDD:s they have all stopped working for no apparent reason :)

OlaHaldor
03-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Will you save your game files to SSD?

Previously (before I installed Mac OS) I had set Steam to install on the SSD, thus all downloadable games are installed on the SSD. I did the same with Battlefield 3 and 4. I noticed a BIG hit in load time on HDD vs SSD.. While on SSD Battlefield 4 would load in 60 sec or less. On the HDD which I currently use for games, BF4 loads in minutes.. Plural. I mention BF4 because it's rather big compared to a lot of other games.

As for video editing, I would rather have my video files on a RAID than on an SSD, but that's up for another discussion.

Greenlaw
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
...my own experience tells me things tend to break when you need them most. No matter what the specs says. Be it USB-memorysticks or SSD or HDD:s they have all stopped working for no apparent reason :)

LOL! So true. I've experienced enough data loss from drive failure that I've trained myself to keep not only a backup of everything, but also a backup of the backup. Thank goodness hard drives are 'cheap' these days. (Compared to what they used to cost anyway.) :)

G.

Danner
03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
I have a big HD where I store video bins, but if I'm editing I copy them to the SSD first, then back to the regular HD when I'm done. This way I can keep the SSD clean and still have backups of all the editing jobs (at least the recent ones)