PDA

View Full Version : Tutor In the House?

spardacus
11-19-2003, 03:50 PM
I wonder if anyone would take on showing how to model the basin of this sink. The handles, I imagine might be done with a similar tactic?

http://www.creativeresource.org/lw/sink.html

I am getting "adept" at modeling most linear objects - however, bending, pulling, pinching, or otherwise "molding" curvilinear shapes has me baffled.

I know this is much to ask ... I have looked at many tutes online - many are old versions, for other apps, or no longer exist at the web address.

Just thought I'd ask.

thank you ...
i am spardacus

PS - I can't seem to attach images to my posts ... does this work on MAC's for this forum?

mlinde
11-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Image size may be an issue, also the only formats allowed are GIF and JPEG.

Start with a box or sphere.
I used a sphere, decent amount of points/quads to work with. Using the knife and subpatches (tab), push & pull the points for the nurnies to construct them. This incudes the irregular ouline on the edge. To get the lip of the bowl, create a polygon of the top row of points, and bevel/smooth shift up and over til the rough shape is there, then do the same point push/pull as earlier. I just got a rough version doing this a couple of minutes ago.

Two tricks to making the details raise up:
1) use weightmaps (I've read but never used)
2) move rows of points closer together to create tighter edges, or knife and pull.

mlinde
11-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Here's the rough model. First one is subpatches, second is the polygons. About 10 minutes or so, but it can be cleaned up:

spardacus
11-19-2003, 06:02 PM
thanks mlinde ...
I have tried attaching jpegs ... to no avail

:(

I have updated he following address with my first attempt at "Sub Patching?" I get the general shape going, but when I try to knife the polys to isolate some control for the "radial bulges" found in the sink I get holes in my existing polys.

http://www.creativeresource.org/lw/sink.html

Any suggestions?

spardacus
11-19-2003, 06:06 PM
MAN!

That's awesome!

How did you isolate the areas for the "ridges" inside the sink? Then, how did you pull them up? Magnet, Select and Move ..... ?

Thank you mlinde ...

mlinde
11-19-2003, 06:06 PM
Turn off the subpatch to knife. I also only worked in one quadrant of the image, then did double mirroring to duplicate it to half the bowl, then again for the whole bowl.

Here, look at this:

I'm also big on pulling points. I should probably use the magnet or some other tool, but I'm just lazy.

spardacus
11-20-2003, 06:02 AM
mlinde,
Thanks for the time and the effort.

I wonder ... when I try to expand the attached file it attempts to save as "attachment.php"

PHP files have not worked yet for me. Dreamweaver attempts to open the file, but it is all just code. Is this a PC to MAC thing? I have noticed on TurboSquid when trying to download some of their free models - the .php files don't work.

Am I cursed?

Sorry to be nuisance ...

mlinde
11-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Right click on the link, and download link to disk. Worked for me just now, in Safari 1.0

spardacus
11-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Well, I'm off to study some bones ... I guess

I have made some progress in the sink ... thanks to you mlinde. Your model snapshot showed me I was starting with the wrong shape. I was using a disc, the ball worked much better because of the intrinsic sections it gave me at first.

Yet just when I think this subpatch thing is working I ram into another quandry.

I've seen the "splinegod" knife right through the subpatch version of his model as he creates new partitions to pull and stretch with no problems.

When I knife throught the subpatch I get these weird holes and lost poly connections ... (see the coat images in linked page)

http://www.creativeresource.org/lw/coat.html

mlinde, even when I turn off the subpatch before I knife, when I tab back to subpatches I get the holes again.

I guess my modeling skill is just full of holes! :rolleyes:

I need badly to move to organic modeling for clothes ... guess I'm off to the books again.

I can't find good step by step tutes anywhere on this. Everything just shows image after image without detailed instructions on how to get there.

The splingod's videos are awesome ... but like I said, why do my efforts lead to different outcomes?

I'm out!

mlinde
11-21-2003, 09:25 AM
If you are having trouble with Larry's tutorials, try posting to the general discussion forum. He's usually around there, and is more than willing to answer specific questions.

eblu
11-21-2003, 11:02 AM
spardacus,
organic "sub-d" modeling has a few rules on top of all the other things you are trying to learn.

sub-d models need to be made from 3 or 4 point polygons only (preferably 4 point polys only, the 3 point polys stretch funny). when you knife the object you are inadvertedly making polys with more than 4 points because you are knifing "against the grain" so to speak. This causes the bad geometry that you see as holes.

I generally find that bevel, smooth shift, and bandsaw are the main Sub-d modeling tools I choose.
bevel allows you to build from each selected polygon out from its normal, which is handy when making arms, fingers, tentacles, etc...
Smooth shift at first seems to work just like a screwed up bevel tool, but then some old hat tells you Smooth shift's secret... dont use smooth shift to move polygons, just to generate them. It works like this: you select polys, activate smooth shift, and click in the window without dragging, immediatly change to a transform tool ( move scale rotate, etc...) to work on the newly created geometry. What happens is that smooth shift works like bevel but does not separate the new polys from their shared edges. This is probably the single most useful tool for Organic modelling, and its applications are endless. it allows you to create detail to part of the model without forcing you to add detail to the rest of the model (one of the best reasons to subD Model in the first place).
Bandsaw, allows you to add a new subdivision through the object in one direction, this allows you to add detail (like you might with the knife) without risking the creating of unusable patches (polys with more than 4 points).

good luck,
-eblu