PDA

View Full Version : Program is going ballistic. Not able to accomplish the most basic of functions.

Veloci
03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm trying to create a model of my character in Minecraft (EnderDragonMan) and I'm running into an endless amount of issues trying to build the stupid thing. If I draw out the big cube for the head using the box tool, and then subdivide only one side, like the front, I then get error messages when I try to subdivide the other sides telling me I cannot subdivide polygons with more than 4 sides. I'm trying to subdivide a square, in what universe is that more than 4 sides? I literally have to subdivide all sides of the square that needs smaller sections at the same time to avoid running into an error.

Then after I finally got through that, when I'm trying to color the entire head except the eyes and mouth to black, I'll select all of the polygons I want to target, hit Q, name a new surface, pick a color, and save, then the only black that shows up is a glitched mess inside the mouth with no other polygons being touched.

This program is extremely frustrating for me to use when I can't even use the basic tools the way they were intended. I'm on a laptop, but that shouldn't be making my program go insane.

JoePoe
03-05-2014, 04:20 PM
If you subdivide just one side the connecting sides are no longer four sided.
See pic below. My top poly (and others) now has five defining points and sides.

Surfacing: I'm willing to bet you've got some overlapping duplicate geometry.
See what a merge points and running unify polys does for you.

RH has a good point below regarding finding overlapping geometry through the statistics/surfaces....
If the duplicate stuff is not exactly on top of each other merge etc might miss it (there are other things you can do, but let's keep it simple for now :))

RebelHill
03-05-2014, 04:22 PM
First off... if you subdivide one face of a cube, then other faces that share a border with it no longer have 4 sides (edges)... they have the 3 original edges, and the shared edge which has now been subdivided... You have multiple edges that just happen to be in line with one another, thats not the same thing as one edge.

Second... It looks in the image like youve got doubled up polys sat on top of one another. Use the statistics panel to select polys of a given surface, hide them, and that should reveal where the overlap is.

edit... beaten to it.

Veloci
03-05-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm relatively new to this program, where do I find these tools?

JoePoe
03-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Merge points - "m", (details tab > points)
Unify polys - details tab > polygons > more

(btw, best to use them in that order)

Statistics - "w", found along the bottom of the work space (might have changed in latest build....). Surfaces can be found in statistics panel when polygon is the active selection mode.

Welcome to Lightwave!! It's a wild ride but worth it. Try not to get too frustrated when just getting your bearings..... there's a lot to learn.

shrox
03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Remain calm. Do not open the pod bay doors.

Do you have the manual to review?

GregMalick
03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Remain calm. Do not open the pod bay doors.

Do you have the manual to review?

Gotta admit, this is the kindest version of RTFM I've ever seen.

;)

JoePoe
03-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Greg - is that :jam: "Somewhere over the Rainbow" the Izzy version? :)

shrox
03-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Gotta admit, this is the kindest version of RTFM I've ever seen.

;)

ĦAy, caramba!

Veloci
03-05-2014, 05:15 PM
After using both Merge Points (eliminated 300+) and Unify Polys (eliminated 10) I'm still getting the glitchy stuff that won't let me recolor any surfaces.

I'm really annoyed. I'm just going to manually make a new cube for the snout instead of stretching it from the face, this is ridiculous.

JoePoe
03-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Okay, well, so much for not getting frustrated.... ;)

I am curious though. If you want to post the trouble lwo I'll take it for a spin.

Veloci
03-05-2014, 05:29 PM
I have already overwritten it with a new one that properly works, sorry. And I'm this frustrated because this isn't the first time Lightwave has roadblocked me. Thank you for your help though, at least I know why I kept getting subpatch errors so I can avoid it better in future.

Skonk
03-06-2014, 03:11 AM
I've got to be honest here and say that Lightwave isn't roadblocking you; you are road blocking yourself due to inexperience and this would happen and does happen to all new 3D modellers regardless of what software you are using so please try not to get frustrated with it and just keep at it. If it starts to go badly wrong its sometimes better to just stop, use what you have so far as a guide in a background layer and remake it, tracing over the old one but creating a new one with better geometry.

With experience you will learn that, for example, making a 6 sided box and subdividing 1 side is never the right thing to do. That making a 6 sided box and using the Knife tool (shift + k) to place cuts only where you need them to create geometry suitable to be bevelled (b) or extended (e) out from, is a better option.

A common problem people who are new to lightwave also have is accidentally duplicating stuff (polygons, points) without realising it; getting doubled up polygons and then when they select one of those polygons and extend it they get issues like the surfacing problem you have there.

As I said, it happens to all new 3D modellers and it happens regardless of what software you use; you learn to A) fix these problems and B) not generate them in the first place. It just takes time to learn the software.

Ryan Roye
03-06-2014, 07:32 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again:

Experts only exist because they once sucked at what they did. I was in your exact same shoes when making my very first 3d projects and just know that this is a typical process across all 3d animation packages. The initial learning process is always a bit frustrating because there are concepts across all 3d packages that are a staple of 3d production (IE: poly flow, keyframing, resource management, etc) It doesn't matter which one you use, they will all throw these kinds of problems at you.

My suggestions:

- Get your hands on the Lightwave user manual. Whenever you want to achieve something, or want to look up what something does, do a search on the document and read up on it. It will save you tons of time and likely give you helpful advice in the process. You can get a copy along with demo content (that you can learn from) through your user page.

- Ask here on the forums (which you've done!). These forums are the best place to get yourself unstuck... because let's face it, not all problems are things you can simply search through a manual to remedy. We're here to help you and understand what you're going through because we've been through stuff like this ourselves at one time.

In regards to your issue, my advice would be to use planar textures rather than trying to paint directly on the polygons... to do this without UV mapping, you'll need 3 surfaces (one for the front/back, one for the left/right side, and one for the top/bottom). This way you can just use a 4-polygon cube instead of a dense subdivided one. This is typically how people approach texturing things like buildings or flat surfaced objects because its faster, but of course UV mapping is always optimal... it just takes longer.