11-19-2003, 03:21 PM
ok

i know how to make boxes, spheres and cones

but how to you make an object like a ... pen cap

lets say i wanted to render a pen cap

how would i start

FenrirWolf
11-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Go read the part of the manual (around in the middle) that talks about organic modeling. In particular, learn about subdivision patches.

~DD~Apocalypse
11-19-2003, 03:32 PM
ok i'll try again (yah again)but there are alot of big words in there =)
if that dont work i guess i'll just goof around and waste my $$

=)
no j/k

~DD~Apocalypse
11-19-2003, 03:47 PM
well, i didnt understand most of it... god i feel so stupid...=(

[EDIT] is there any difference between the 7.5 primer and the manual, cas the primer looks like it has more!

~DD~Apocalypse
11-19-2003, 03:48 PM
how can i get those icky lines out and make it, erm... round?

[edit] i remember from 7.0 and watching my friend ACE that you hit the up or down arrows while placing an object
is there any way to select it after you have made it? like a pointer?

CMP 2003
11-19-2003, 04:12 PM
For your first question, how to make it more round, You SUBPATCH it by hitting TAB.

But you may not like the results it gives you, if not, Try subdividing it by hitting SHIFT+D

Melvil
11-19-2003, 04:15 PM
You can also turn on smoothing in the material properties. This will create the illusion of a smooth rounded surface without actually changing the geometry.

-Dave

~DD~Apocalypse
11-20-2003, 02:19 PM
k found out how to smooth it.

now i'm trying to make a shoulder joint for a mech... its basically like this
___
|.....|
|__/

i tried to do it with the pen but when i change my veiw some parts dissapear?

how would i make sumthin like that
(how do i take modeler screenies.)

if that was a veiw from the other side the thing would be there

~DD~Apocalypse
11-20-2003, 03:12 PM
DOH!

CMP 2003
11-20-2003, 03:15 PM
when you use the pen tool, you have to be careful, some of your polys may face the wrong direction, and you can see right through them from a certain view, i would recommend box-moldeling the arm with a couple layers to add detail, but that may be my biased opinion,

And for the screen shots just download a screen capture software from download.com

Any freeware will do

~DD~Apocalypse
11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
ok 1, what is box modeling and layes (man i feel so dumb) and i guess my major question is...
MY gosh i can not even believe to fathom how u got all those shapes that ain't primitives
yeah
thats what i was trying to say

Melvil
11-20-2003, 04:40 PM
I think the most common way to model something is to start with a primitive object and manipulate the ba-jeezus out of it with the plethora of tools LW has.

Viewing something like this may give you a better idea (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/headmodeling/index.html) of how complex shapes are made. I by no means suggest that you should try to model a head or anything of the kind, but perhaps it will give you a better grasp of how you can manipulate a simple object in many ways to acheive a more complex shape.

For you, I would suggest you go through some modelling tutorials that will familiarize you with some of LW's tools. There are some very good ones right here at Newtek's site (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html) that can get you started. I'd suggest scrolling down to the bottom portion of the modelling tutorials list and going through the kitchen utensil type tutorials(I.E. Modeling a Fork).

Those will take you step by step through the process of modelling the objects and may be a very good starting place for you.

Hope this helps!

-Dave

~DD~Apocalypse
11-20-2003, 05:47 PM
OOOoooooOh im gunna be busy for awhile, thx dave!

~DD~Apocalypse
11-20-2003, 05:57 PM
ok i watched that modeling video, erm, yeah, no audio and super super fast.... not good =)

i still dont see how u get all that crap with a box.
(xcuse my language)
how he make all dem lines?

=D
i am even mroe confused after watchiong that i guess i'll just watch the other ones....\
BTW

here is a picture of the arm of the mech im tryin to make

[EDIT]
WOW!
the bevel and lathe and the shift thingy are really usefull, its just when i beveled to try to make the cup, it erm... came in..

\/
like that =)
im still goofin around with the tools and i got confused trying to make the handle for the coffe mug, hey dave those tuts helped alot thx man!

Melvil
11-20-2003, 08:49 PM
No problem, glad to help!

I was hoping the head one wouldn't confuse you more, just thought it might help you understand how modelling works.

Beveling works with two basic values; Shift and Inset. Shift will extend with a new polygon while inset sizes it. So the V shape that you got was a result of too high of an inset value.

-Dave

~DD~Apocalypse
11-21-2003, 01:51 PM
and to fix that i open up the numeric optionss thing?

Melvil
11-21-2003, 03:32 PM
You can open up the numeric panel and type in the values on your own, or you can just be careful when you're dragging the mouse. Move it slowly so that you can tell what it's doing.

-Dave

~DD~Apocalypse
11-21-2003, 05:44 PM
ok, in the layout.. is there any way to mirror something

the missile racks look like this
[]|

but when i clone it to the other side it looks like this
[]|

so they are the same direction, when i want the "|" on the other side

|[] []|

like that

CMP 2003
11-21-2003, 06:11 PM
to mirror something exactly like what you said, you use the mirror tool
Keyboard shortcut SHIFT+V

Happy building

~DD~Apocalypse
11-21-2003, 06:18 PM
thx bro, that really helped!
i couldn't image making another leg, AGH!

im gunna go post what i have in the work in progress

[]Darkslash