PDA

View Full Version : Registration problems w/OSX?

dlavery
11-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Has anyone had any problems getting the license key to properly register and kick Lightwave into "registered mode" instead of "demo mode"? I am helping a friend who has just shelled out his shekels for the product that I have been telling him is wonderful, and he has had nothing but problems with it so far. He is feeling frustrated, and I am feeling like an idiot for not being able to figure this one out. Newtek tech support has yet to return any phone calls, after multiple attempts to get their assistance.

Running on a dual-2GHz G5 under OS X 10.2.8 with a brand new shrink-wrapped version of Lightwave 7. Lightwave comes up just fine in demo mode. The system recognizes that the dongle is installed, and gives the proper registration number. The license key from Newtek has been placed in the proper 1-line text file in the Applications>Lightwave>Programs folder. Everything "looks OK" but Lightwave steadfastly refuses to run in anything but demo mode.

Any ideas?

Beamtracer
11-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Just confirm the file name for the licence is:

Licence.key

It is a text file and in it there is a 16 digit number, separated into 4 groups.

I assume you've got the dongle plugged in.

Did you upgrade from LW7 to LW7.5 or LW7.5B? If so, make sure you move your Licence.key to the new program folder.

Hmmm. I can't think of anything else it might be.

Jezus31st
11-19-2003, 03:18 PM
if you used TextEdit to create the licence.key file, did you make sure to go through the preference settings to append the .txt extension?

*edit*
you have to make sure to close the first document that pops up because the settings only take place on subsequent documents.

eblu
11-19-2003, 03:29 PM
did you save the string into the license.key with textedit? If so, is textedit saving an RTF or a TXT file? Because LW will choke on an RTF file. TextEdit has an option in its preferences to save TXT files.

Also, does your friend have dot extensions hidden? perhaps the filename is license.key.txt or license.key.rtf, and if your friend's system hides extensions, it may Look like it is "license.key" do a "get info" on the file and look at the name and extension tab.

like everything LW, it will work, but the workflow hasn't been designed to be robust or forgiving.

Stewpot
11-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi below is a direct quote from my registration e-mail from NT:

"To use it under MacOS X :
- Into LightWave Programs folder, rename LICENSE.KEY file to LICENSE.KEY.BAK. (Note: if you do not find any LICENSE.KEY file into the Programs folder, jump to the next step.)
- Run TextEdit (located into the Applications folder).
- Enter or paste your permanent license key into TextEdit window.
- Choose Format > Convert to Text format.
- Choose File > Save As.
- Select the Programs folder of LightWave 7 as destination and enter LICENSE.KEY as filename. If the file selector contains an Hide Extension option, uncheck it.
- Save the file. If TextEdit asks you if you want to add a .txt extension to the filename, click on "Do not add".
- Quit TextEdit.
- If the .KEY extension is not displayed in the LightWave Programs folder window, select the LICENSE file, open the info dialog (Command-I), choose Names and extensions in the pop up menu and uncheck the Hide extension check box."

Hope this helps.

drclare
11-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Weird, i was just talking to somone who just bought LW and had the exact same problem, except he also installed it on a PC and it recognized his key with no problem. It's weird, because i didn't have to do anything special when i installed on OS X, i just opened the text file in text edit, replaced the existing number, and saved it, and it was fine.

Boo!
11-20-2003, 03:11 AM
...i had the same problem but managed to get help from a Lightwave reseller and like Drclare replaced my number and whoop! i was up and running...
something weird with gettin it to see your key no doubt.:)