PDA

View Full Version : converting 3ds max to lightwave

vonpietro
03-03-2014, 04:22 PM
http://xoio-air.de/2014/3d-people-model-set/

these guys are giving away some 3d people, however they are in 3ds max format.

anyone know how to convert them to lightwave?

i know there are several third party programs that do this, whats the best?

Snosrap
03-03-2014, 05:23 PM
As far as I know Max is a closed file format. You'll need Max to do any conversions. Even the 3rd party converters (3D Browser etc.) require Max be installed.

lertola2
03-03-2014, 06:58 PM
I believe you can get a free 1 month trial of Max. So if you could download Max and and export objs or fbx to open in Lightwave.

Sebasvideo
03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Right, just get the trial, I got it to test some things, including some files in max format. Beware, the interface will be completely alien to you, but you'll be able to open max files and export them to fbx or obj if they are just simple objects.

Cool characters BTW, thanks for the heads up, I'll be able to convert them before my 3DSMax trial expires.

DAMAKERS
03-03-2014, 08:12 PM
download it, is already an obj file in it, just have to remap the objects, but UVs are there

vonpietro
03-04-2014, 04:52 PM
someone told me 3dcoat reads max, if so 3d coat outputs lightwave with uv's,
i'll check it this week sometime and let you know if 3d coat worked.

(educational version is so worth it!!)

BeeVee
03-05-2014, 07:32 AM
I doubt it does :(. A MAX file is not a set of points and polys, but instructions for Max to be able to rebuild the object.

B

JoePoe
03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Just making sure you saw DAMAKERS post.

There is an .obj collection included in the download.... UVed. Just rename some surfaces and you're all set.

(.... also, objects come in rotated 90 in pitch)

..... Lasse's hands are a bit rough. they must have done some post retouching.
Otherwise, pretty cool. Thanks for the post!

120611 120615

vonpietro
03-08-2014, 03:27 PM
so heres an instance render with all 8 characters i rendered it double hd just for fun. radiosity is in final gather mode.
camera used was real lens type.
ground is just plane with marble on it, nice huh.
the map sizes are huge 4000x4000 images, some are 2048x2048 though. seem kinda blurry in the faces for such high res maps.
i put a dot procedural on the 6th guy as a bump just to see how that would look.

does anyone know how to use the skin material? i plugged it in just to see what it would do on the bald guy, but it lost my texture map when i did that, does that mean materials override all the other settings?
any way to blend the material with the texture map?

so, i confirmed that 3d coat does not load .max files oh well.

I loaded the .obj into lw modeler and cleaned them up by separating each one out and re-assigning the images to each character.

put them all in a scene, but had some problems i ran into
1) seems classic camera does not render instances, although it looked like the shadows of said instances showed up, weird.
2)these models are mostly quads, so they have some quad errors, i trippled them to fix, also some flipped polys too.
3) there is a image named blend map, does anyone know what they would be using that for? i played around with it and tried bump mapping it. looks like beard and hair cutouts to me.
4) there is a vertex normal map function on the surface panel - anyone know what does that do exactly, when i assign the uv using that function, it messed up the render making wierd spec problems and render errors atypical of flipped polys. (turning it off fixed the problem.)

all in all it was a good exercise making .obj files work in lightwave.

XswampyX
03-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the link.

They could end up being the most famous people in the world. You will see them in loads of renders. :D

BeeVee
03-10-2014, 02:09 PM
so, i confirmed that 3d coat does not load .max files oh well.

Nothing loads .MAX files but, well, MAX. 3DS files are 3D Studio files, not to be confused with .MAX files and are very old, limited to 64k triangles, and opened by pretty much anything.

B