PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with choosing a monitor for use with LW

yoshiii
03-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Hello

I am building a new pc and I need to buy a new monitor also. I understand about TN, IPS monitors, the HZ, the lag input, the response time and so on.

When I am choosing a monitor for use for LW, do I choose the same type I would use with Photo Shop, Illustrator, etc? IPS type.

Or should I be looking at the kind of monitors used for gaming like TN with high HZ and good repsonse time?

Shnoze Shmon
03-02-2014, 11:32 AM
I would suggest that more importance be placed on having two monitors instead of one. It makes a huge difference. I cannot emphasize this enough.

And speaking of huge that's the size of monitors you want.
I have a 29" and 22".

My past setups have been
22" and 19"CRT.
23" and 22".

I've been planning a new build myself. My minimum requirement for the monitors is 2 x 29".

Lightwolf
03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
When I am choosing a monitor for use for LW, do I choose the same type I would use with Photo Shop, Illustrator, etc? IPS type.

Yes, hands down. After that it depends on your budget...

Cheers,
Mike

Sebasvideo
03-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Whichever one you choose (my favorite brand is Samsung) I recommend this, choose one as big as possible but with a native resolution of 1920x1080, not 2560 x 1440. I know pros would want to hang me for this, but the problem is that text in most GUIs, Windows itself, Lightwave, Adobe programs, etc, is too small. If you set Windows to a larger dpi like 96, most programs are not prepared for that because they only enlarge the text and not their GUI, so things are a mess. If you get a 2560x1440, unless you get something like a 40" monitor 3 feet away from you, text is going to be horribly small and your eyes will get strained much faster. I have a 29" at 1920x1080 and text is really small, except when viewing websites, because then I can resize the whole page in the browser, and most sites are well prepared for that.

yoshiii
03-02-2014, 08:23 PM
I would suggest that more importance be placed on having two monitors instead of one. It makes a huge difference. I cannot emphasize this enough.

And speaking of huge that's the size of monitors you want.
I have a 29" and 22".

My past setups have been
22" and 19"CRT.
23" and 22".

I've been planning a new build myself. My minimum requirement for the monitors is 2 x 29".

I can only get one monitor now because I am saving to build a new pc. If I get a 23" or 24" would that be ok for now until I can get a larger monitor? If I could get a 27" would that be good?

Whichever one you choose (my favorite brand is Samsung) I recommend this, choose one as big as possible but with a native resolution of 1920x1080, not 2560 x 1440. I know pros would want to hang me for this, but the problem is that text in most GUIs, Windows itself, Lightwave, Adobe programs, etc, is too small. If you set Windows to a larger dpi like 96, most programs are not prepared for that because they only enlarge the text and not their GUI, so things are a mess. If you get a 2560x1440, unless you get something like a 40" monitor 3 feet away from you, text is going to be horribly small and your eyes will get strained much faster. I have a 29" at 1920x1080 and text is really small, except when viewing websites, because then I can resize the whole page in the browser, and most sites are well prepared for that.

Question for everyone,

I am building a new pc now, but I need a new monitor because my old one is dying. My pc is a Dell XPS 420 with a q6600 cpu oc'ed to 2.9 ghz 4 gb of ram and a GTX 660. Would this be ok to use for LW? Than I could buy a little bit better monitor and save more for building the pc. Or should I build the pc first and hope the old monitor lasts and get the new monitor later?

What about these monitors?
ASUS VE248H
Foris FA2333-A
ASUS MX279HR
HP ZR30w
ASUS vh238ah
EIZO EV2336W
ACER H226HQLbmid
LG 23EA63V-P
ASUS VX239H
ASUS VX279H
ACER S275HLbmii
ACER B243PWLbmdr
ASUS VG278HE

Also any big difference between IPS, AH IPS and E IPS?

inkpen3d
03-03-2014, 04:48 AM
My preference is for two colour-matched monitors as I can have, for example, Modeler open on one and Layout open on the other. Also, the added advantage of having two monitors is that if one should ever go faulty I am not totally stuck without a display! You could also start off with just one monitor and then, when you have the money, purchase the second monitor. I have a pair of NEC MultiSync EA232WMi monitors which I purchased about 2-3 years ago. They are 23" and have a native resolution of 1920x1080 and are good build quality, have good contrast, and not too expensive (i.e. their combined price is much less than a single larger monitor). There are newer/cheaper NEC models available, best that you check specifications and reviews.

Regards,
Peter

Danner
03-03-2014, 05:04 AM
I can only recommend what I know so here it is:

I use a 27" 2560 x 1440 res monitor and love it, (HP ZR2740w). Some people do complain that text is too small, it's actually much smaller than using a 24" at 1900x1084.

We have a few Samsungs here and I don't like them, they belong to the lower end of the spectrum are pure garbage.

I also have a 27 inch Asus VG287HE on my gaming rig, it has high refresh rate at 144Hz with only 1900x1084 max rez, it's an expensive monitor, great for gaming, image is very blue, (fixable with settings) but doesn't offer much for a working environment aside from very smooth mouse movements and an acceptable image.

I also have a 6 year old Acer 27" x243w that still works and looks great.