PDA

View Full Version : MDD files

Mr Rid
03-02-2014, 01:08 AM
How do you get MDD files to fully cache in Layout and scrub realtime, the way it works in LW 9.6. What am I missing? I dont see the MD_Reader's 'Frames to Load' explained in docs or elsewhere, but it does not seem to make a difference. MDD Pointer does not help.

ernpchan
03-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Mdd pointer streams the mdd from disk. Try just using mdd reader.

jasonwestmas
03-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Or try the native displacement node that go in the displacement node editor. As mentioned the DP pointer nodes aren't real time.

Mr Rid
03-02-2014, 07:15 PM
The MD Reader, MDD Displacement, and MDD Pointer are not caching the MDD file here. For me, this defeats most of the point in caching a dense, animated mesh. My entire scene update is bogged down when I try to move anything, even a null while in bounding box view. Am I really the only person to notice this?

ClothFX and SoftFX will not load these MDDs, as they are often incompatible.

ernpchan
03-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Actual scrubbing is slow? How dense is this mesh?

Greenlaw
03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
MDD Pointer isn't meant for scrubbing--it's designed to load only a single frame of data at a time to speed up network rendering.

Not sure why MDD Reader isn't caching for you though--my understanding is that Reader loads the entire MDD to RAM for immediately playback. Of course, this assumes the entire file can fit in RAM--could it be possible that the data is so big that it's paging? Just a thought.

G.

Greenlaw
03-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Also wondering, are you using 32 or 64 bit LightWave? That could make a big difference in this situation.

Mr Rid
03-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Also wondering, are you using 32 or 64 bit LightWave? That could make a big difference in this situation.

I see that 64 or 32 does not make a difference, but rather the LW/MDD loader version. The mesh is 140k polys, the MDD is under half a gig, and I have 12 gb of ram.

I can scrub the scene realtime just fine in LW9.6, even in x32 (using MD Plug). But the same mesh and MDD in LW 10 or 11.5 (using MD Reader or MDD Displacement) makes the entire scene update unusably slow and clunky. Even when I am not scrubbing, and I just want to rotate a light, or select a key in the graph editor, there is a long lag(?).

If I temporarily disconnect the drive that the MDD is loaded from, the mesh in LW10+ will lose displacement. But LW 9.6 keeps working, because the MDD is fully cached properly.

Anyone know what the MD Reader 'Frames to Load' option suppose to do, that does not seem to do anything? I dont see it covered in the LW10 or 11.5 docs.

Mr Rid
03-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I have been loading the MDD off a network drive. I just discovered that if I load the MDD into LW11.5 from a local drive, then it caches. But that does not really help me. And LW9.6 still does not care where the MDD is loaded from.

jeric_synergy
03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Mdd pointer streams the mdd from disk. Try just using mdd reader.
This would be a distinction that would be good to underline in the dox. Not exactly intuitive, is it?

Now, if the dox were an online wiki, we could add that Right Now. But,......

dpont
03-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Speaking of DPKit,
there are two nodes,
while MDD Pointer is indeed just loading the current frame
and is obviously slower for realtime preview,
the MDD Cache loads the MDD File(s) fully in Ram memory
but globally,
only once for each object using the same MDD file.

Denis.

Mr Rid
03-03-2014, 01:03 AM
...MDD Cache loads the MDD File(s) fully in Ram memory...
Denis.

EDIT: Nevermind, MDD Cache is working right now. Thanks SuperDenis!

Greenlaw
03-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Yay, Denis to the rescue again! :)

That's very strange about the native Reader thought. I guess I haven't scanned anything quite that large lately. Will check it out with a half GB file tomorrow and see what happens.

I meant to ask, are you running 11.5, 11.6.1 or the latest open beta 11.6.2? I'm not sure I still have 11.5 installed at work.

G.

Mr Rid
03-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Yay, Denis to the rescue again! :)

That's very strange about the native Reader thought. I guess I haven't scanned anything quite that large lately. Will check it out with a half GB file tomorrow and see what happens.

I meant to ask, are you running 11.5, 11.6.1 or the latest open beta 11.6.2? I'm not sure I still have 11.5 installed at work.

G.

Using 11.5.

prometheus
03-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Using 11.5.

Not mdd cache related, but if you can..update to 11.6, Ivé found 11.5 being Generally one of the more buggy one in terms of crashes, compared to 11.03 or 11.6

Michael

Mr Rid
03-09-2014, 07:25 PM
EDIT: UGH, I forgot it was for the Node Editor, and not a displacement.