PDA

View Full Version : Watch the Baby! A new Shrock N Roll cartoon!

shrox
03-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Something I have been doing, but keeping secret. It's called "Watch the Baby!" It's in the style of classics like "Feed the Kitty." What do y'all think? I think it could be really fun, but as my condition worsens, I have a more difficult time working on it, I hope I can get 4 or 5 minute cartoon dome in time to enter a few film festivals later this year. All in Lightwave 9.6.1 Here is a video storyboard showing the look of the cartoon, this is about the first 30 seconds or so.

Basically, I might be asking for help at some points, as I just can't physically do some of the work and expect to be timely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyTF6uPKcNc&feature=youtu.be

shrox
03-02-2014, 01:55 PM
So, would anyone be interested in collaborating on this?

LW_Will
03-03-2014, 11:00 AM
So, would anyone be interested in collaborating on this?

Oh! You wanted collaborators.

You are so coy... ;-)

I might be tempted... go on...

shrox
03-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Cool, I was wondering if I was on some blacklist or something.

hazmat777
03-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Cool, I was wondering if I was on some blacklist or something.

Ha! Good one.

I would be happy to put a couple of ideas here and there.

How about the Dad wakes up after the knives hit the wall and pin the robot? Then he could come in half awake and grab something from the fridge and not notice anything is wrong, eat his food/beverage at his chair and fall back asleep?

hazmat777
03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNl0sBz1ol4

Around 1:38

shrox
03-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Ha! Good one.

I would be happy to put a couple of ideas here and there.

How about the Dad wakes up after the knives hit the wall and pin the robot? Then he could come in half awake and grab something from the fridge and not notice anything is wrong, eat his food/beverage at his chair and fall back asleep?

I have a script and all the models done. Dad does turn over once in a while and mumble something. After the robot has spent the whole time saving the baby, Mom comes home, sees the robot all banged up and dirty. Then she says "I told you to keep this dirty dangerous thing away from the baby!" The robot sighs, and falls over backwards.

The problem now is my hands are really starting to hurt and I can only do about 1/4 of what I could. It's very s-l-o-w.

shrox
03-03-2014, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcu8pyOJgr4

I am drawing from several fun ideas from the classics, like Feed the Kitty, one of my favorites. Not "stealing" them, more an homage to the great slap stick Warner Bros stuff. And with a nice Pixar look.

hazmat777
03-03-2014, 12:45 PM
I totally see it as an homage. Classic work. I wish could help, but it sounds like you are pretty far along in the process.

shrox
03-03-2014, 12:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNl0sBz1ol4

Around 1:38

Since this takes place in the future, at one point a Mr. Fusion type appliance goes wild while baby is blissfully unaware of the danger. Kind of like how Bugs ducks under the machine gun spray.

hazmat777
03-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Since this takes place in the future, at one point a Mr. Fusion type appliance goes wild while baby is blissfully unaware of the danger. Kind of like how Bugs ducks under the machine gun spray.

What about having the Wife come home and saying to the robot, "I told you to keep the house clean!". Then the baby could laugh and the robot faints/falls over.

Very similar to what you wrote earlier, but a subtle difference might be fun.

I'm sure you don't want to give to much away of the story this early, so those are just a couple ideas that came to mind. Looking forward to seeing how this comes together. :)

LW_Will
03-03-2014, 11:14 PM
the "classic" way of these cartoons take a few things into consideration,

1) the baby does not look for danger, he is an innocent. The danger is always unseen and unknown to the baby, obvious to the casual observer (or robot)
2) the toon's POV is usually from the POV of the 'hero'. So, if you look up from the lower POV of the robot, this will make the view of the home be large and distorted.
3) Also, isolating the "adults"... not showing them from above the knee, or showing the hand falling into the frame to show him asleep. The baby and the robot at the only full-frame person in the piece.
4) Babies are attracted to bright things, simple colors, and things they want to eat. :-)

the suggestions have been REALLY good. If you want to collaberate (ie get me to do some work) write me (willsilver(at)gmail etc) and we can Skype.

Good luck to you on the project...

LW_Will
03-03-2014, 11:32 PM
re watching Feed the Kitty... you need to make the characters more... Pixar / Disney / WB's like... larger heads, bigger hands (three fingers? Maybe...) and feet. Also, the fact that you know what Marc Anthony is thinking means you need to get some distortion-ability in the face. Take a look at the Anime piece from LWG and look at this on Ustream (http://www.ustream.tv/search?q=lightwave) and go to about 9 mins there is a Lightwave character that uses distortions on his face... esp. when the young boy is licked by the llama. THAT is what I'm looking for!

shrox
03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
the "classic" way of these cartoons take a few things into consideration,

1) the baby does not look for danger, he is an innocent. The danger is always unseen and unknown to the baby, obvious to the casual observer (or robot)
2) the toon's POV is usually from the POV of the 'hero'. So, if you look up from the lower POV of the robot, this will make the view of the home be large and distorted.
3) Also, isolating the "adults"... not showing them from above the knee, or showing the hand falling into the frame to show him asleep. The baby and the robot at the only full-frame person in the piece.
4) Babies are attracted to bright things, simple colors, and things they want to eat. :-)

the suggestions have been REALLY good. If you want to collaberate (ie get me to do some work) write me (willsilver(at)gmail etc) and we can Skype.

Good luck to you on the project...

Thanks. The script is already done, it does incorporate classic cartoon comedy hi-jinx and shots, like the Mom is shot from waist down. It's already planned out, I am roughing out the shots and animation, I'd like help smoothing things out, (making sure things don't self interest, slip through the floor, better lighting, etc. and I imagine the baby's rig will have problems too.)

This baby is "looking for trouble", only baby thinks it's just something fun and interesting, like pulling the dangling cord of something that knocks the knife rack over. Somethings might change, like the knives could just handles that activate like light sabers.

I just mentioned Feed the Kitty because it's a favorite and I couldn't remember the names of other classics I liked. The WB classic Merrie Melodies of the 40's to early 60's is the "canon" I guess.

shrox
03-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I'll start posting in the WIP section, I'll have a few clips to show shortly.

LW_Will
03-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks. The script is already done, it does incorporate classic cartoon comedy hi-jinx and shots, like the Mom is shot from waist down. It's already planned out, I am roughing out the shots and animation, I'd like help smoothing things out, (making sure things don't self interest, slip through the floor, better lighting, etc. and I imagine the baby's rig will have problems too.)

This baby is "looking for trouble", only baby thinks it's just something fun and interesting, like pulling the dangling cord of something that knocks the knife rack over. Somethings might change, like the knives could just handles that activate like light sabers.

I just mentioned Feed the Kitty because it's a favorite and I couldn't remember the names of other classics I liked. The WB classic Merrie Melodies of the 40's to early 60's is the "canon" I guess.

Yes, I too am a great fan of WB and Hanna-Barbara toons (from both their studios and from the MGM cartoons from the 30-50's) The early design on the 60's shows (Yogi Bear, Secret Squirrel, Huckleberry Hound, and of course the Flintstones) is truly brilliant. It was lost in the 70's. That "funny animation" that wasn't duplicated in the cartoon until "Gummy Bears" in the late '80s.

Sorry about the trampling all over your toon, but those are my opinions of the situation. Like, the baby needs motivation for what it does. So, early in the piece, you need that baby to turn to the camera and rubs its hands. Maybe look down and get all devil face, horns, a wide smile... I've seen that in MANY Jones' shows. If you want help, I'm here and ready to go. If you want COLLABORATORS you'd have to at least reboard the piece. ;-)

But it is cool. I would suggest that you try and use IK Booster for the Baby rig (using Ryan's techniques). I think that you would be able to see the simplicity and power of the rig. I'd be happy to help you with that if you'd like.

shrox
03-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Hey Will, check your PMs.

shrox
03-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Posting here now:

LW - Gallery for Work-In-Progress

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140491-Watch-the-Baby!-WIP-stuff-posted-here