PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a mesh into parts question

Airwaves
03-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Ok so I know this is a really dumb question but for some reason I cannot find a quick easy way to do what I need to do. I normally pay people to do the modeling work for me but this seemed so simple that I thought I could do it myself. So here goes....

All I need to do is make a circle which I have done with a disc and I need to cut the disc into 4 parts. I have used the knife tool but it does not split the polygons. For animation I want them to be separate (I am doing an animation to teach fractions). I have tried the other tools. Can anyone tell me which tool I am supposed to use to split them apart?

I also am doing another disc that I am cutting into three parts. Once I figure out how to split them apart I can put them in different layers. Sorry for such a basic question but I have read through Lightwave Essential v9 and still cannot figure it out.
When I was using the knife tool for the thirds the line disappears after I hit enter and start a new one for some reason?
Thanks

prometheus
03-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Ok so I know this is a really dumb question but for some reason I cannot find a quick easy way to do what I need to do. I normally pay people to do the modeling work for me but this seemed so simple that I thought I could do it myself. So here goes....

All I need to do is make a circle which I have done with a disc and I need to cut the disc into 4 parts. I have used the knife tool but it does not split the polygons. For animation I want them to be separate (I am doing an animation to teach fractions). I have tried the other tools. Can anyone tell me which tool I am supposed to use to split them apart?

I also am doing another disc that I am cutting into three parts. Once I figure out how to split them apart I can put them in different layers. Sorry for such a basic question but I have read through Lightwave Essential v9 and still cannot figure it out.
When I was using the knife tool for the thirds the line disappears after I hit enter and start a new one for some reason?
Thanks

I would suggest cutting the circle before you make it with thickness, you can cut with the knife tool, but depends on how you want the cuts to be? which we donīt have an idea of.

cutting with knife tool do not seperate the polyīs..they are always connected until you select the poly parts and use ctrl x to cut them, and ctrl v to paste in another layer.

or you can use drill and slice, but after that you must go to detail and unweld the parts, you could use unweld after using the knife tool too of course.

extrude after unwelding.

a cut tool that just split a mesh with thickness I donīt think exist, maybe lwcad.
Michael

Airwaves
03-01-2014, 05:31 PM
I would suggest cutting the circle before you make it with thickness, you can cut with the knife tool, but depends on how you want the cuts to be? which we donīt have an idea of.

cutting with knife tool do not seperate the polyīs..they are always connected until you select the poly parts and use ctrl x to cut them, and ctrl v to paste in another layer.

or you can use drill and slice, but after that you must go to detail and unweld the parts, you could use unweld after using the knife tool too of course.

extrude after unwelding.

a cut tool that just split a mesh with thickness I donīt think exist, maybe lwcad.
Michael

I did not even think of cutting with the knife and then copying the polygons to a new layer. I will give that a try. Thank you so much.

As for the cuts of the thirds it would look like the picture I am attaching.

prometheus
03-01-2014, 05:44 PM

I did not even think of cutting with the knife and then copying the polygons to a new layer. I will give that a try. Thank you so much.

As for the cuts of the thirds it would look like the picture I am attaching.

the simplest would be to simply drag out a circle..keep it flat.

selet the top point and the bottom point and use connect, that divides the circle in half...then you can use the slice tool and it will autosnap to whatever point you start at, and then use ctrl button and it will snap to the center of the circle...then repeat for the other half, select lower part of the middle edge and use dissolve to remove it.
then just unweld it all and you got all pieces seperated.

you could of course just use slice all together from the beginning and drag a line from the middle point to slice it in half instead of using connect, it might be faster since you do not have o go to point mode
and select and switch tools.
also ,,,instead of using dissolve on the bottom middle line, you can also just select the two polyhalves and use merge polygons.
and just remember they are still connected until you unweld them.

Michael

Airwaves
03-01-2014, 06:01 PM
the simplest would be to simply drag out a circle..keep it flat.

selet the top point and the bottom point and use connect, that divides the circle in half...then you can use the slice tool and it will autosnap to whatever point you start at, and then use ctrl button and it will snap to the center of the circle...then repeat for the other half, select lower part of the middle edge and use dissolve to remove it.
then just unweld it all and you got all pieces seperated.

you could of course just use slice all together from the beginning and drag a line from the middle point to slice it in half instead of using connect, it might be faster since you do not have o go to point mode
and select and switch tools.
also ,,,instead of using dissolve on the bottom middle line, you can also just select the two polyhalves and use merge polygons.
and just remember they are still connected until you unweld them.

Michael

Ok so I followed your advice the best I could but got lost on the welding but I did what you suggested earlier by selecting the polygons and pasting them to a new layer. It looks great! Thanks so much for the assistance. I love 3d animation but more of the directing side of things so I do not know all the tools. Thanks to you there will be a very happy 4th grade teacher once I finish the animations. Thanks

XswampyX
03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
There's more than one way to slice a pie. :hey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ujU8VBZBM

prometheus
03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
heres a simple excercise...draw a box in the top view, but make it flat, and have the numeric panel open, and make a few segments like 5 or so.

drop the tool...then just hit ctr-U thatīs the shortcut for the unweld tool that otherwise is located under the detail tab/points.

if you select one of these small segments and just move them, they are all now unconnected.

Airwaves
03-01-2014, 06:13 PM
heres a simple excercise...draw a box in the top view, but make it flat, and have the numeric panel open, and make a few segments like 5 or so.

drop the tool...then just hit ctr-U thatīs the shortcut for the unweld tool that otherwise is located under the detail tab/points.

if you select one of these small segments and just move them, they are all now unconnected.

That is awesome! I did not even know that. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

There's more than one way to slice a pie. :hey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ujU8VBZBM

That is really cool. There is so many cool features to Lightwave. Thank you so much for the video. What did you use to record your screen?

prometheus
03-01-2014, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=XswampyX;1370424]There's more than one way to slice a pie. :hey:

yes Xswampy...but you actually just recorded what I described, so itīs not that many more ways to slice the pie:) ...good someone did that though, since I havenīt installed my screen recorder yet:)
so that process is what I described with selecting points and use connect, except you just used connect to divide it in the middle, (you can also just use divide)
I told him to use slice and just hold down ctrl to snap it to the middle point so you donīt have to divide it...and if he uses slice instead of connect, he will just have to deal with one tool..the slice tool and he
donīt have to select points since the slice tool autosnaps.

Michael

Airwaves
03-01-2014, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=XswampyX;1370424]There's more than one way to slice a pie. :hey:

yes Xswampy...but you actually just recorded what I described, so itīs not that many more ways to slice the pie:) ...good someone did that though, since I havenīt installed my screen recorder yet:)
so that process is what I described with selecting points and use connect, except you just used connect to divide it in the middle, (you can also just use divide)
I told him to use slice and just hold down ctrl to snap it to the middle point so you donīt have to divide it...and if he uses slice instead of connect, he will just have to deal with one tool..the slice tool and he
donīt have to select points since the slice tool autosnaps.

Michael

Thank you again. Now I have an even easier question. How do I make it perfectly round? Should I have started with more than 36 points?

prometheus
03-01-2014, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=prometheus;1370429]

Thank you again. Now I have an even easier question. How do I make it perfectly round? Should I have started with more than 36 points?

no such things as perfectly round, it all comes down to how close you zoom in on the object,segment points and resolution of final render...but yes, you can give it more segment points if it shows up too faceted in the renders.
also make sure to use smooth surfaces.

Michael

XswampyX
03-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Erm... I only read your 1st post..... Yep it's the same thing. :( :D

Recorded with CamStudio.... It's FREE!

prometheus
03-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Erm... I only read your 1st post..... Yep it's the same thing. :( :D

Recorded with CamStudio.... It's FREE!

Thatīs a good evolution from mistakes, since you missed my description and might not have done the vid otherwise, now you did and that serves us well:)
Michael

JoePoe
03-01-2014, 07:59 PM
....a cut tool that just split a mesh with thickness I donīt think exist, maybe lwcad.
Michael

I don't know LWCAD.... I wouldn't be surprised.
And there is also the new Boolean tool from 3rdPowers.... which looks awesome.

But natively in LW you can always make a copy of the item to be split. Do a boolean subtract on one and a boolean intersect on the other. 120540 120539

But for this particular purpose (especially with the specific pieces of the pie) starting flat was definitely the way to go. :thumbsup:

prometheus
03-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't know LWCAD.... I wouldn't be surprised.
And there is also the new Boolean tool from 3rdPowers.... which looks awesome.

But natively in LW you can always make a copy of the item to be split. Do a boolean subtract on one and a boolean intersect on the other. 120540 120539

But for this particular purpose (especially with the specific pieces of the pie) starting flat was definitely the way to go. :thumbsup:

I donīt think there really is a truly split function either nativly or with plugins, so I donīt think itīs really available in either lw cad or 3dpowers tools, they have nifty boolean tools, but this is a question of actually cutting a object in two halfes in one go, with letīs say a curve or a slice tool.
Someone has to invent it or correct me.

Michael

prometheus
03-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Second thought...lwCad pline in cut mode will let you draw straight lines on a flat poly and cut it that way directly without a need to unweld them, but there is no way to use a curve the same way since it donīt have a cut
mode, secondly you canīt use pline to cut through the object if it has thickness to it.

Michael