PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush -> Maya -> Lightwave workflow - help!

bobakabob
03-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Are there Lightwavers who are also Zbrush and Maya users out there? I'm working on a project modelling in ZB animating in Maya and texturing & rendering in Lightwave. (OK with basic rigging in Maya but have a lot to learn with everything else).

A couple of questions:

1. Can anyone explain how to effectively import ZB polygroups so they appear as separate Materials in Maya? The polygroups show up as parts in LW which are easily selectable - but I can't find them in Maya which is problematic for animating the model accurately. I've created a UV map for the model in ZBrush from polygroup islands and this shows up but I can't for the life of me figure out why no separate Materials appear in Maya. The entire model is just Lambert gray. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Once a model is animated what's the best way of bringing the scene into Lightwave? I've done some tests and couldn't get controllers associated with bones.

Cheers :)

bazsa73
03-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Just wonder why do you need at all materials in maya if you render in LW.
Export the model from ZB, load it into LW, do whatever surfacing you want then
send the model into maya, animate, export the geocache and load the cache into LW.
Thus you only change the point offsets in Maya.

In maya:
-Animation menu -> Geometry Cache
It is supereasy to import the cache into Lightwave.
It worked for me and with much less fuss than bringing the maya rig into LW.

bobakabob
03-02-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks bazsa, I was working with a gray mesh in Maya and needed some materials to orientate the object. I was also concerned the polygroups would be wiped in Maya on export as they weren't visible. I found a couple of workarounds - splitting the mesh in Zbrush based on polygroups and importing into Maya then using Mesh -> Combine. The second was to bake the polygroups onto a UV map and use that for reference.
Interestingly on taking a single obj from ZB -> Maya -> Lightwave all the original polygroups were preserved so Maya didn't wipe them even though they weren't visible.
Like you suggest I'll bring the cache into Lightwave to keep things simple. Surfacing in Lightwave seems much more simple and intuitive.

bazsa73
03-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I fiddled with surface based bump displacement too, this is the only way to add displacement to a deformed object if
it is driven by MDD or Geocache. I almost went crazy till I figured out how is it done. Don't forget to set the displacement mipmap
to softness instead of antialiasing on the image editor panel.