PDA

View Full Version : Nice sunny day on the beach

veljko
11-19-2003, 10:32 AM
Here is a picture my brother and I made together-

Its not so often that i see people modell things like beaches..

Its gonna be a background, so we kept it simple,

hope you like it!

This is our first team effort i belive..:)

Lightwolf
11-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi veljko,
Very nice. The only thing that seems to be missing is a bit of spray on the waves.

Now pass the suntan lotion please... :cool:

Cheers,
Mike

jman66
11-19-2003, 11:58 AM
the trunk on the tree seems a bit thick, ... might look better if it were a tad more spindly lookin.

but that's just my first impression... the proportions may be correct i'm not quite sure.

veljko
11-20-2003, 04:05 AM
hi,
thx for the replies,

Ill look into adding foam on the waves,

and for the trunk, i touhg it might be the cease myself, but decided i liked it as it is- palm trees come in all sizes and shapes :)

thx

Jure
11-20-2003, 04:24 AM
I love the water. It looks perfect. I agree that a bit of foam could make it even better.
The trunk seems a bit thick to me too, but you are also right that they come in all shapes and sizes. I would look more elegant if it would be thinner IMO.
Are the trees in backround photo?

There's been a thread in WIP going on about making some shore landscape. Maybe you could help a guy there with a few tips on making realistic water-shore line. http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13448

P.S. Bravo za jucerasnju pobjedu! Bili ste bolji protivnik. :)

danilo
11-20-2003, 04:29 AM
Hi,
You can se on the shadow of palm-treee that is not finished.Or,this is a scene after the hurricane?
danilo

veljko
11-20-2003, 04:36 AM
Hmm?
Sorry Danilo, it might be my bad english, but i didnt understand what you ment?
Please explain a bit more:)

The trees were also rendered, and my brother is the quilty party for the water so ill pass the link to him:)

p.s.s. na kojoj pobjedi?
mozes me i pm-at ako hoces-

danilo
11-20-2003, 05:17 AM
Hi,
nije tvoj engleski,nego moj.Na sjeni se vidi da palma nije zavrsena(nema vrha).Barem tako izgleda.
danilo

Jok
11-20-2003, 05:45 AM
Looks really nice

na kojoj pobjedi?...nogomet!! ;)

Matt
11-20-2003, 07:07 AM
excellent water - very photorealistic!

are the waves modelled or MD?

veljko
11-21-2003, 01:35 AM
Hi,
thx for the replies

The waves are modelled:)
We also used a displacement map-

The shadow looks funky when i look at it, I will retushe it in photoshop-:)

p.s. I didnt know there were so many croatian/serbian/slovenian members on the forum? Maby we can arrange a LW meeting:)

Jure
11-21-2003, 03:39 AM
Good idea. Count me in! :)

veljko
11-21-2003, 04:21 AM
added foam as you guys suggested, and blured out the shadow:)

you think it improved the image?

starbase1
11-21-2003, 05:46 AM
I'm the guy working on the other beach! I won't repost the link as it's there above in this thread.

I'd be very interested to know your approach to the water - some aspects look very good, though to my eye the water looks a bit coloured on the actual waves. Do the waves move? or is it a fixed thing?

One thing I did you may find handy, is to take the beach polygons, and do a lot of (not smoothed) subdividing. If you then kill polygons and apply hypervoxels to the remaining points it gives you a nice splattering of small stones along the shore. (If they look too regular then merging points will help, as will killing off some manually.

I'm very happy to swap surfaces m or indeed entire objects if you wish!

Cheers,
Nick

miso popovic
11-24-2003, 12:01 PM
hi
the wave is static, i made the geometry and then turn it into splines.I added some displacement maps to create some finer waves over the sea.I used alpha channels on the displacement map to make waves a little more active on the shore line then in the distance which is almost wave free. The most difficult thing for me was to figure out the transition from sea to shore.What i did is pick the points in the shore where i want the sea to touch it and from those point's i started to build the sea itselfe.The sea has no texture, just some spec., gloss. and transperency set to 70%, the discoloration you see in the sea comes from the seabed, the sand under the sea has colour texutres applied to it. I would realy recomend a great tutorial for making sea on the www.simplyLightWave.com called stormy ocean tutorial, it's realy great.

G3D
12-17-2003, 10:30 AM
...that would make the image more realistic:

the sand near the water could use a specular map to make it look wet. The "wetness" should gradually drop off as you look away from the water towards the shore.

The other thing would be a diffuse map to make the wet areas of sand seem darker. Wet sand(or wet anything) looks darker and more reflective than in a when dry.

Otherwise, very good.

veljko
12-19-2003, 01:47 AM
Hi-

We played around with it a bit, but since im well into the project now, and moved on to other things i think we will leave it as it is.

Ill keep it in mind though, next time we do something like this-

thanx-

veljko

adrian
12-19-2003, 01:59 PM
I love the sand texture too.... really nice picture!

Maybe just work on those clouds a little.... they look a little flat.

Adrian.

veljko
12-20-2003, 03:31 AM
Hi
thx for the reply

-i used Skytracer for the colouds,
and was happy with the results:)

We could do a lot more tweeking, but since the image is a part of a game project, I have lots of other stuff to do, and in my expirience the best way NOT to finish a project is to endlesly tweek, so I will keep the image as it is-

thanx anyways for the input!

im glad you like the pic!

HowardM
12-20-2003, 01:36 PM
wow the water looks great like everyone said!
How did you do it?
The line that the waves make looks strange, like theres a corner?

add some Saslite to the treetrunk to give it little hairs and chunks to make it look more random! cool trunk, how did you model it? wireframe?

your clipmap on the leaves is poking through, see those bits on the left side?

maybe add more displacement to the leaves, the shadows look too uniform....and the shadow of the tree on the ground does look fake, like its really short...just clone a bunch more and make it taller for the shadow... :)

very cool though, the color in the sea and the clouds, etc looks almost photographic!
If youre interested click here for a tree I once did. (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1689&highlight=spring+break)

veljko
12-22-2003, 01:00 AM
My brother actually did the water,
I think you can find the tehnique in the first page of this thread-
The vawes were in a large part made by hand in modeller, so youl have to forgive us for the mistakes- Its not easy to modell waves by hand , i can tell you that much:)

The sasquatch is a nice idea!:)

I modelled one "stump", then cloned it a couple of times, bended it into a circle, copyed the circle verticly to form the trunk, jittered it to make the diferent stumps a bit different in shape and used taper1 to make the trunk wider at the bottom and narrower at the top.
When i made the first "stump" i uv maped it.
added the leaves latter on.
Since i knew that the top of the palm tree would not be in the shot i didnt bother much with it, but the shadow gave me off in the end:)
I didnt use clipmap for the leaves, the leaves are modelled aswell

we actually could take it a noch more in the photorealistic feel, but we wanted it to be different then a photo you can find on the net, and make it more suitable for a game background (the image is a background for a puzzle game)- heres a snapshot of the game itselfe

thanx for the ideas!

veljko
12-22-2003, 01:01 AM
the ingame snapshot:

veljko
12-22-2003, 01:08 AM
Ive checked out the link you gave me-
looks great!

cool palm tree, great anim:)

great work

HowardM
12-22-2003, 08:01 AM
That looks sweet as a background for the game!

You modelled the leaves!? are you nuts?!
:)

Thanks for the compliments, looks great!

masterchief
12-22-2003, 03:20 PM
coconut palm does not look like that. the trunk of the tree looks like date palm which is found in dry arid regions....

take closer look at coconut palm, I think this is theone you are trying to do here.

regards,