PDA

View Full Version : Is g2 (worley) worth buying ?

rednova
02-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Dear Lightwave Friends:

I want to study character modeling and texturing, so I need
anything that will help me. I have sasquatch and I am very happy
with it. I just saved my money, and have enough I can pay for g2.
I believe g2 is worth checking, but I am not sure if it can really help me
with texturing the human skin.
So I am asking you:
Is g2 worth buying ? will the skin tools really help me ?
Thank you for your help !!!

ernpchan
02-28-2014, 06:32 PM
I'd say go towards learning the LW nodes before G2.

Phil
02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
No. It's not been updated to work the dongleless LW. It's not been updated since LW 9.6 or so and I don't see any sign of activity to update it, on any platform. You won't find LW3DG fixing issues in LW to address compatibility with abandoned plugins.

Honestly, I can't recommend any Worley plugins these days. The likelihood of issues is simply too great and there's no support there for them.

spherical
02-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Dongleless or not isn't the biggest issue. What I have found is, in the recent versions of LightWave, G2 messes up surfaces. Took a while to figure out why things weren't working properly. Going through earlier models and removing it entirely makes things a magnitude better. Distressing, as I relied upon it for so many things for so long.

Phil
03-01-2014, 10:38 AM
That's what I indicated by stating it hasn't been updated since 9.6 or so; all of the universal sampling changes, camera changes, etc. are not handled by it and LW3DG have made it clear that they aren't going to stall progress by tying themselves to compatibility with existing plugins from 3rd parties.

I'm not actually sure why Worley still has them for sale; I think it's misleading because they're pretty much abandoned at this point in time. That the lightwave3d.com website sends people to Worley via the 3rd party listings doesn't help. I'd much rather see abandoned plugins delisted to avoid LW3DG being caught in the crossfire when incompatible plugins are purchased and users get upset.

Greenlaw
03-01-2014, 11:57 AM
I agree with the above posts. G2 was fantastic in its day but that was long ago. Nowadays, you can do a lot of what it did (with fPrime) and more by using nodes and VPR. I do miss the simplicity of G2 but what we have now natively is more flexible, and nodes/VPR are sure to be kept updated and improved.

For skin, I like using the native Skin Material node--the most recent one, because it works with VPR. I know some users have had mixed results with it but it's consistently worked well for me on several productions. When you use it, check your setting for Exclude From VStack. It needs to set on or off (sorry, I forget which,) for the material to render properly between VPR and F9 renders.

G.

spherical
03-01-2014, 03:51 PM
G2 would give me surfaces that I couldn't find out how to do without it. Had some marble columns that I'd developed over a bazzillion F9s and went to duplicate that on another model. Couldn't get it right. Then remembered that G2 was in the shaders on the original. Bingo.

It also would display an improved surface preview ball/cube when using scene lights. Without it, the preview object would often times be blown out and I'd have to turn "Use Scene Lights" off. Also used it's poly backside settings to do some tricky stuff with transparents. One of the reasons I keep my previous LightWave versions installed, in case I have to re-visit a scene.

fishhead
03-02-2014, 11:12 AM
That's what I indicated by stating it hasn't been updated since 9.6 or so; all of the universal sampling changes, camera changes, etc. are not handled by it and LW3DG have made it clear that they aren't going to stall progress by tying themselves to compatibility with existing plugins from 3rd parties.

I'm not actually sure why Worley still has them for sale; I think it's misleading because they're pretty much abandoned at this point in time. That the lightwave3d.com website sends people to Worley via the 3rd party listings doesn't help. I'd much rather see abandoned plugins delisted to avoid LW3DG being caught in the crossfire when incompatible plugins are purchased and users get upset.

Just as a side note: Worley.com has versions on their download page that indicate the latest revisions of the plugins have a version for 11.5 ( they seem to be compiled in April last year)
Downloaded them but did not try them yet - somewhow my system has a problem recognizing my dongle... :-\

zapper1998
03-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Just as a side note: Worley.com has versions on their download page that indicate the latest revisions of the plugins have a version for 11.5 ( they seem to be compiled in April last year)
Downloaded them but did not try them yet - somewhow my system has a problem recognizing my dongle... :-\

wow just downloaded them...

thanks for the heads up

:)
Mike

Greenlaw
03-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the the tip. I do like to use the Polk and Taft plug-ins, although it's been a little while since I last used them so I don't know if there existed any problems using them with 11.5 - 11.6. I'll download the latest and check.

G.

zapper1998
03-02-2014, 02:51 PM
I have the Taft, Polk, Sasquatch, G2 plugins, this is great news...

:)

Greenlaw
03-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Same here, but I haven't bothered with G2, Sas or FPrime for a few years--to me, they've become too limited for production work. A lot of Polk and Taft can still be useful though, assuming the tools still run in 11.6.2.

Question: Can these run dongle-less now? Not a deal-killer since I often travel with my dongle, but it would be very convenient to not have to worry about it. Thanks in advance for any info.

G.

spherical
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Thank You! I had been checking the user-specific download link periodically and nothing had changed. Didn't think to look at the general downloads page. Seems a bit odd that the versions numbers weren't incremented but, as long as they're back working, I'm happy.

Phil
03-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Those new versions are Windows-only, it seems. Mac folks remain well advised to just ignore the whole set at this point in time.

rednova
03-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Dear Friends:

I am still using lightwave 9.6 and will probably not upgrade 'til version 12.
If I just use lw 9.6 (for now) will g2 work fine on my system ?
Will it work without problems ? without messing anything ?
Mind that all I want g2 for is for skin texturing.The rest does not matter to me.
Thank you !!!

ernpchan
03-07-2014, 05:03 PM
G2 should work...but then you're running the risk of G2 not working with 12+. So is it worth it for you to buy a plugin that might be a dead end after awhile or learn the more current tools and grow with those?

Greenlaw
03-08-2014, 07:16 PM
I think all the Worley stuff was fine for 9.6. The one exception might have been Sasquatch, which had issues if you used Perspective camera so you were required to use the old Classic camera for rendering. (One of several reasons we switched to FiberFX a year or two ago.) It's been several years since I last used G2 but I don't recall any problems using it in 9.6.

Do you have fprime? From what I remember, the G2 workflow was more efficient with fprime--kinda like using nodes and VPR nowadays.

G.

Greenlaw
03-08-2014, 07:22 PM
What ernpchan says is true. However, I think it's going to be a while before we see 12 and even longer before it's released, so you need to weigh just how soon and how badly you need this feature.

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of G2, but if all you want is a subsurface scattering shader, there are other options for 9.6. ChanLum (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/chanlum/) comes to mind.

G.

jasonwestmas
03-19-2014, 12:32 PM
yeah I like chanlum a lot because it's fast; it can be used with the other diffuse and spec shader nodes (with fprime too) without having to use expensive materials; and chanlum gives a nice translucent shading that looks better than G2 imo.

spherical
03-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Just tested in 11.6.2 64 and G2 partially works. It shows a preview but changing/disabling lights does nothing in it, other than refresh the preview. FPrime partially works but doesn't see soft edges on spotlights. Can't remember now if it ever did. Changing/disabling lights in it doesn't change the render. Didn't go farther to check on other stuff.