PDA

View Full Version : Bezier keyframes akwards to edit...

Taro Yoshimoto
02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
hi!

A single keyframe is easy enough but what if you want to edit a batch of keys? In After Efects you can enter numerics for the velocity curve, thus editing a bunch of keys at the same time. Better yet, any new key created after will keep the curve of the previous one. However I see nothing of the sort in LW. If you want 2 keys to have the same velocity, you have to do it by hand and hope it will match. A bit shabby no?

A plugin or a script to edit the velocity curves would be welcome.

thanks!

Taro Yoshimoto
02-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Also, with bezier, if you want a clean move, you need to put exactly the same velocity values in Position X, Y, Z. If one of the axis is faster or slower, the motion look bad. How can you edit the 3 axis at the same time??

I hope I am just missing something and someone will tell me the solution.

Ryan Roye
02-28-2014, 02:27 PM
As far as I can tell, bezier curves are very limited in terms of easy editing and bulk operations; you can't move more than 1 handle at a time, and there's no way to work with bezier curves in a fashion other than mouse clicking (not even in lscript). So, definitely a worthy feature request for animators to have some better implementation of bezier curves. Currently, the only way to "save" a bezier curve is to save a motion and load it later.

Something else I'd like to see is to be able to scale keys and have the bezier properties scale with the edits.

Taro Yoshimoto
02-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Here an exemple... the 3 highlighted curves are Position X Y Z. Pretty steep. No way to do that with the standard TCB Splines, which is a shame. (values should go higher/lower than 1/-1).

It took 2min to do those curves. It should take 15sec.

Taro Yoshimoto
02-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Well, I dont understand why Newtek is working on new features and hollywood oriented stuff when such basic things are missing.

Ztreem
02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
The only thing to do is a feature request to the fogbugz system.

Sebasvideo
02-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Taro, I completely feel your pain because I have the same frustration being used to After Effects and Modo, where you have temporal and spatial bezier curves that are easy to adjust. Here both seem to be merged in a weird way in the Graph Editor and I haven't done a really complicated animation in Lightwave yet to really get deep into it, but a lot of people tried explaining it to me so I'll point you to the thread I had started on this and hopefully it will shine some light for you: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139919-Bezier-spatial-curves-tied-to-temporal-ones&highlight=bezier+cruves

The short answer, as far as I can tell, Lightwave works completely different than After Effects and Modo for this kind of thing, or for pretty much everything. It has a lot of cool features but usability for many of them is not very straightforward and in some cases very poorly designed such as the dope editor.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-01-2014, 04:27 PM
I thought at least someone would have made a script or something...

RebelHill
03-01-2014, 04:46 PM
You can make a script which will set beziers as you want them... but there's no way (thats documented in the sdk at least) to get the current key selection from the graph editor, so its not something you could really make much of an interface for. The only real option is something built into the GE itself.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Hi, I've found a solution:

Using the ByDistance script (2006 but still working) you can make a speed envellope using the percentage from begin to end of your animation.

Here a screenshot: