PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! I've lazy render nodes! What causes this problem?

3DGFXStudios
02-28-2014, 06:43 AM
I've some trouble with some render nodes for a long time now. When 2 of our render nodes need to render big scenes after a while they just stop rendering. The lwsn process on the nodes is not crashing or disappearing it just drops the activity to zero. I've done memtest and even replaced the memory in one of them but no luck. I've replaced the network adapter and cable just to be sure it wasn't a network problem.
We also have identical systems that work great. I tried rendering a failing scene locally on the lazy render node and that works just fine. It happens only on LWSN.
Does anyone have an idea what can cause this behavior?

3DGFXStudios
03-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Is there no one with the same problem?

JonW
03-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Have you tried changing the node numbers. I have found that in the pecking order sometimes a node misbehaves at say 9 but is ok at 3, or vice versa. I have no idea why or what is going on but it may help.

JonW
03-04-2014, 05:54 AM
Are all the computers on the same network name. It's easy to miss one or two and they still connect but are a touch temperamental.

3DGFXStudios
03-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Yup all nodes are in the same network. The strange thing is that it does render sometimes. Possibly when there's not a lot ram used. What do you mean by the node number? Do you mean the computer name? Or the name I give with the network controller in this case BNR?

JonW
03-04-2014, 07:36 AM
In SN my "940" maybe node 7 for example, but changing it to say node 3, & the other computer that was 3, now to 7 has sometimes helped.

3DGFXStudios
03-04-2014, 08:19 AM
I'll try that. But it doesn't make any sense :D

Sebasvideo
03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Are you using Screamernet? If so, try Amleto: http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/

JonW
03-04-2014, 02:32 PM
I'll try that. But it doesn't make any sense :D

I't doesn't make sense!

But SN doesn't make sense!

3DGFXStudios
03-05-2014, 06:06 AM
Are you using Screamernet? If so, try Amleto: http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/

I tried that but it doesn't work. I can't for some reason configure it. I tried selecting my config files but when I do that nothing happens.

Sebasvideo
03-05-2014, 06:18 AM
I tried that but it doesn't work. I can't for some reason configure it. I tried selecting my config files but when I do that nothing happens.

That's strange, it's very easy to configure. Try reading some of the long posts in this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?123604-Amleto-Network-Renderer/page18

The last two pages have a lot of troubleshooting. Also, have you tried the latest version? Because there was a version until recently that didn't work with 11.6.1, but the author fixed it and now it runs perfectly.

3DGFXStudios
03-05-2014, 06:38 AM
I downloaded the latest one I could find on the webpage (3.3). I agree the configuration looks easy but it doesn't work right. Maybe because my "network render lightwave" lives on the network. In BNR this works really well. When I need to update LW I need to just copy my workstation installation to the network and I'm done. I'll check the thread about the Amleto trouble.