PDA

View Full Version : software army

saranine
02-28-2014, 01:54 AM
I am no expert on what software does or doesn't do. Thus I decided to write down all of the 3D/creative software that I have and then ask if there is any area that I am missing out on. It is all commercially licenced and fully paid for unless stated otherwise [ no student or trial software etc] :

Lightwave 11
Form Z 7
Maxwell Render 3
Blender [free lol]
Messiah Studio
zbrush
hitfilm
filter forge
fruity loops
terragen
marmoset toolbag
scirra construct
topogun
Adobe CS6 [a student version that I bought when I was doing a Dip of graphics design]: whole lot collection includes premiere, after effects, photoshop extended, Indesign etc etc.
corel painter 12 [ I don't want to upgrade]

This is not a showing off exercise; I am sure that there are people on these forums who have a lot more software than this. I had saved up a lot of money during my graphics diploma.

Specifically, is there anything that jumps out as being any issue to do? Or is there is anything that this set of software has a strength in doing? Such as being better for hard modelling [aircraft , boats etc] rather than for dragons? It seems to me that if I have any weak point it might be particle effects or maybe, animation [ though messiah should help]. My strategy this year and part of last year was to avoid false economy. There were at times cheaper things that I could have got [eg modo on sale] that my research told me may have not have been good in the long run. So I set out to get it right even if it cost more in the short run.

I realise that I have ignored issues of hardware or input devices [ eg wacoms] for now. I do have those areas covered well enough but they may belong to a different thread.

I am trying to learn a 3D/computer programming/art triumvirate. Where it goes I am not sure. It is all 1 huge adventure. Sometimes I get onto lynda or digital tutors and just learn something. There is no real order to it. If I feel like learning say Zbrush then I will learn zbrush. It is pretty obvious [!] from the expense of the above list that I have got way beyond the hobbyist sphere. I do want to work in some professional capacity with it all [ I am not sure exactly what]. I am good at 3D thinking [ I said this in a thread a few months back] and I absolutely love learning and working with these programs.

Thank you.

djwaterman
02-28-2014, 03:55 AM
You have more than enough, no one can tell you anything really, just get to work.

UnCommonGrafx
02-28-2014, 04:03 AM
Agreed. School is over, don't make this one yet another...

People with ps and Blender make money with them; some of us -now- hobbyist have stuff others could be making money with; some folks ask if they do, with the wait in place until an answer comes along.

Go hither and doeth thou thingeth.

Tranimatronic
02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Go hither and doeth thou thingeth.

Wise words indeed

ernpchan
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
...all of the 3D/creative software that I have and then ask if there is any area that I am missing out on.

Yes, how well do you know any of the programs that you've listed...that's the most important question/answer.

geo_n
02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Lightwave, zbrush, adobe is a good set to learn. The others in your list are just distractions.

pauland
03-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I think that if you need to ask if you're missing out on something, it just means you haven't learned to use what you have.

People make incredible things with far less software than you already have. Anyone can buy software, but it takes time and talent to use it.

Ryan Roye
03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I use the following software packages in my production pipeline:

- Lightwave 11.6 + Nevron + 3rdpowers toolset
- Hitfilm Express (compositing/video editing for animated content)
- REAPER (Audio editing)

That's all it really takes for a full animated content pipeline. Granted, it will always depend on the user's needs too. Hitfilm Express, for instance, I wouldn't recommend for productions that demand the user deal with over a few dozen clips/sequences as its more geared towards post production. Also, the learning curve is quite high to put it all together... there's just so many disciplines that even these 3 software packages encompass it is mind-boggling.