PDA

View Full Version : Which 3D Connexion Device would you recommend?

jboudreau
02-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Hi guys I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 3d Connexion device and would like to know which one to go with.

For Destop Use - Which one of these would you recommend Space pilot pro or the Space Mouse Pro.

For Laptop Use - Which one of these would your recommend Space navigator Standard USB or Space Navigator Wireless

Also those of you that have one of these devices would you say it's faster than using a regular mouse?

Any advice or any other information you could give me would be appreciated :)

I'm looking to be using this device mainly in layout and modeler.

Thanks,
Jason

sami
02-28-2014, 02:07 AM
I've got a SpacePilot Pro for desktop use and it's great. But I dont use it instead of a regular mouse I use it with one. Left hand on the spacepilot and right on the mouse - it's like holding an object in one hand and sculpting with the other.

jboudreau
02-28-2014, 02:16 AM
I've got a SpacePilot Pro for desktop use and it's great. But I dont use it instead of a regular mouse I use it with one. Left hand on the spacepilot and right on the mouse - it's like holding an object in one hand and sculpting with the other.

okay, So is their any real difference between the space pilot pro vs the space mouse pro all I can tell is their are a few more custom keys and theirs a + and - key for increasing and decreasing the speed . Yes sorry I meant is it faster to rotate around your object with a mouse or a 3DConnexion device?

Thanks,
Jason

AbnRanger
02-28-2014, 02:18 AM
The SpacePilot Pro would be the better option because of all the additional shortcuts commands and multiple sets of them. I'm still using the SpacePilot, which was the predecessor to that model, and I'm spoiled by it. BTW, there is no performance difference between the models, but the higher end the model, the less you have to reach over to your keyboard.

jboudreau
02-28-2014, 02:27 AM
The SpacePilot Pro would be the better option because of all the additional shortcuts commands and multiple sets of them. I'm still using the SpacePilot, which was the predecessor to that model, and I'm spoiled by it. BTW, there is no performance difference between the models, but the higher end the model, the less you have to reach over to your keyboard.

Thanks that's good to know. Doesn't the Space Mouse Pro have these shortcut commands or is it just limited to the 15 physical Programmable Buttons? On the Space Pilot Pro how do you use these additional shortcut buttons?

sculptactive
02-28-2014, 05:51 AM
SpacePilot Pro +1

AbnRanger
02-28-2014, 06:08 AM
Thanks that's good to know. Doesn't the Space Mouse Pro have these shortcut commands or is it just limited to the 15 physical Programmable Buttons? On the Space Pilot Pro how do you use these additional shortcut buttons?For one thing, the SpacePilot Pro has an LCD that shows what set of commands your are currently using, and should you forget exactly which button is mapped to what, you can look down at the LCD and see. The SpaceMouse Pro doesn't have the LCD and thus I'm sure you are limited to just a few buttons you can map.

There is a CONFIG button on the SpacePilot/Pro that you can push to cycle to a whole new set of key commands (ie. Modeling 01, 02, Rigging 01, 02, Animation 01, 02, etc).

jboudreau
02-28-2014, 07:03 AM
For one thing, the SpacePilot Pro has an LCD that shows what set of commands your are currently using, and should you forget exactly which button is mapped to what, you can look down at the LCD and see. The SpaceMouse Pro doesn't have the LCD and thus I'm sure you are limited to just a few buttons you can map.

There is a CONFIG button on the SpacePilot/Pro that you can push to cycle to a whole new set of key commands (ie. Modeling 01, 02, Rigging 01, 02, Animation 01, 02, etc).

Oh that's awesome I didn't know you could do all that with the SpacePilot Pro. The only thing I was worried about with the SpacePilot Pro was the configuration and size of the buttons. On the SpaceMouse Pro the buttons are configured differently and they are much bigger. Have you noticed any issues with the configuration of the buttons and size on the SpacePilot Pro.

Thanks,
Jason

AbnRanger
02-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Oh that's awesome I didn't know you could do all that with the SpacePilot Pro. The only thing I was worried about with the SpacePilot Pro was the configuration and size of the buttons. On the SpaceMouse Pro the buttons are configured differently and they are much bigger. Have you noticed any issues with the configuration of the buttons and size on the SpacePilot Pro.

Thanks,
JasonThe buttons for customizable key commands for the SpacePilot Pro are to the side, whereas the ones for the SpaceMouse Pro are in front. You have 5x2 (10) buttons for the SpacePilot compared to 4 for the Space Mouse. Again those 10 can represent 10 additional keys in another stored set. This video explains the differences a bit better than I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CZmMf-7-g

jboudreau
02-28-2014, 01:43 PM
For one thing, the SpacePilot Pro has an LCD that shows what set of commands your are currently using, and should you forget exactly which button is mapped to what, you can look down at the LCD and see. The SpaceMouse Pro doesn't have the LCD and thus I'm sure you are limited to just a few buttons you can map.

Hi Guys

I'm really confused here about this config button. I was just talking to a 3Dconnexion representative and they said the only device that has a config button is the older spacepilot model. From what she told me the Spacepilot Pro and the Space Mouse pro does not have any config buttons where you can cycle through different sets of commands (Modelling 01 02 etc. She told me the only way to have any sets of commands is to go through different profiles and you have to do that through a command window under a tab and change the profile you are using not through the hardware device.

Can anyone here please verify

I was also told that their were new drivers that gave the Spacemouse Pro 4 button commands per physical button. For example if you hold the 1 button down on the top of the machine it will bring up a circular menu on your screen giving you a choice of 4 different commands. So the Spacemouse Pro with the new drivers will give you 4x4= 16 custom commands and with the SpacePilot Pro you will have 10x4=40 custom commands.

Also I read on some websites where they said that the buttons on the Spacepilot pro where difficult to press has anybody ran into this problem.

Thanks,
Jason

AbnRanger
02-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Hi Guys

I'm really confused here about this config button. I was just talking to a 3Dconnexion representative and they said the only device that has a config button is the older spacepilot model. From what she told me the Spacepilot Pro and the Space Mouse pro does not have any config buttons where you can cycle through different sets of commands (Modelling 01 02 etc. She told me the only way to have any sets of commands is to go through different profiles and you have to do that through a command window under a tab and change the profile you are using not through the hardware device.

Can anyone here please verify

I was also told that their were new drivers that gave the Spacemouse Pro 4 button commands per physical button. For example if you hold the 1 button down on the top of the machine it will bring up a circular menu on your screen giving you a choice of 4 different commands. So the Spacemouse Pro with the new drivers will give you 4x4= 16 custom commands and with the SpacePilot Pro you will have 10x4=40 custom commands.

Also I read on some websites where they said that the buttons on the Spacepilot pro where difficult to press has anybody ran into this problem.

Thanks,
JasonI still use a SpacePilot...the predecessor of the SpacePilot Pro, and after getting to tinker with the Pro model at Siggraph once, it seemed to offer all the features of the older SpacePilot, but with more buttons and a color LCD screen. I don't personally see an issue with the button placement. Some of what you have probably hear are people who are very new to the device and it doesn't quite suit them.

The whole concept of the buttons is not so you can press them while navigating, but so your hand doesn't have to move off the device in order to hit the hotkeys you otherwise would use on they keyboard. Sure, it takes a little getting used to, but I like it. You can feel where the buttons are and don't have to look down away from your monitor to see what you are hitting.

You could find them new for less than $250 at retailers like JourneyEd.com or Studica.com, and if you can't get comfortable with the buttons on the SpacePilot Pro, you could send it back (within 30days I believe) and exchange it for the Space Mouse.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/fileadmin/user_upload/manuals_docs/english_intl/3dx_featureguide_spacepilotpro_en_intl.pdf