PDA

View Full Version : Volume Light is causing object behind it to be dark... workaround??

lardbros
02-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi there,

I'm sorry I can't show an example just yet, but I have a GI illuminated scene, and a volume point light causing rays to come out of a box.

This box is in front of the main character, but where the volume of the light's radius is (despite there not being any light from this bit) is causing everything in the background to be dark.

Has anyone come across this before, and are there any workarounds? Aside from rendering as a separate pass?

Thanks,
Tim

prometheus
02-27-2014, 08:46 AM
If you canīt show images, show volumetric light settings at least.

lardbros
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Sorry... After being prompted by you, I checked the settings and it seems that opacity causes things to be dark behind the light. I don't fully understand what the opacity setting does really... but with it on 0% it doesn't do this any longer!

Sorry for wasting your time!

Andy Webb
02-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Have you turned shadows off?

I know it shouldn't matter but you never can tell with LW.

prometheus
02-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Sorry... After being prompted by you, I checked the settings and it seems that opacity causes things to be dark behind the light. I don't fully understand what the opacity setting does really... but with it on 0% it doesn't do this any longer!

Sorry for wasting your time!

good...and you didnīt waste my time, I suspected it was the opacity you had wrong, mostly it should be at 0%, but I didnīt want to give it all to you that easy:)
You just confirmed issues that are good to know later on when working with it, so no waste of my time at all, also....I proabably get some dopamin kick whenever I can help:)

lardbros
02-27-2014, 09:00 AM
I kind of wanted shadows ON... but it turned out to be opacity. I presumed (always doing that) that opacity would make the volume light effect disappear. It doesn't!

Thanks prometheus and Andy! :D