PDA

View Full Version : HDR Light Studio for Lightwave is out.

djwaterman
02-25-2014, 04:58 AM
Go check the details at http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/workflows/plugins/lightwave

I did a demo tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgL-gGVHOa8&feature=youtu.be

The plugin is really fabulous, you'll want this if product shots are important to you, or if you make use of HDR light maps, you can even re-use any HDR map and fix it up to your own needs. Basically HDR lighting is fluid now, an active part of your light solution, not just a passive thing that gets thrown in there to see if it might work.

adrian
02-25-2014, 05:01 AM
Is this any good for outdoor/environmental shots too? I see your microphone is in one of the shots, nice!

50one
02-25-2014, 05:05 AM
Is this any good for outdoor/environmental shots too? I see your microphone is in one of the shots, nice!

Yes, you can edit the existing HDRis and add additional lighting, change lights intensity, block existing lights etc.

akademus
02-25-2014, 05:32 AM
Sooo... I have to buy complete edition in order to get LW plugin?

50one
02-25-2014, 05:38 AM
Sooo... I have to buy complete edition in order to get LW plugin?

You're getting all the plugins to hostapplications once you buy it.

akademus
02-25-2014, 05:49 AM
That's hell of a lot of money. Octane which is complete renderer costs about the same.

Lewis
02-25-2014, 06:40 AM
That's hell of a lot of money. Octane which is complete renderer costs about the same.

Don't mix up this with render engine, this is Lighting plugin (great one i might add)
Also this works together with Octane, it can use octane as render engine and light with this if you wish. also it's very very good integrated in LW.

It can be used for Archviz if someone wants but it's mostly for product shoots, that's the are where it is brilliant, once you try it you wonder how did you render products without it :).

50one
02-25-2014, 06:44 AM
I have to agree about the price, wouldn't buy it for personal use but it can greatly enhance speed up things when you're pipeline is based on HDRI lightning.

akademus
02-25-2014, 06:45 AM
I understand that, I'm just thinking that for a lighting addition plugin it's a bit on a steep side.

Lewis
02-25-2014, 06:53 AM
BTW, here is few of my renders/setups with HDRLS LW plugin.

So all scenes have NO LW lights (beside usually one LW default which can't be deleted ;)), so all is lit by HDRLStudio.

short223
02-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Just out of curiosity, I am aware of the features with this product, but other than more flexibility and control with how it handles HDR images, what are the benefits compared to just using the native functions in Lightwave (Image World, Sibl etc.)?
Thanks!

Lewis
02-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Just out of curiosity, I am aware of the features with this product, but other than more flexibility and control with how it handles HDR images, what are the benefits compared to just using the native functions in Lightwave (Image World, Sibl etc.)?
Thanks!

Watch the video to see it in action, you are CREATING HDRI images (not just using them) actually which then you ca save (render from HDRLS to a file) as EXR or HDR and use as regular imageworld/texture in LW (which is best solution if you want to use renderfarm or send your scene to someone who might not have plugin but he will still be able to render it same way as you intended).

short223
02-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Ok thanks. So it is more for those who need to interactively create / edit HDRI images. Understood!
Chris

Andy Webb
02-25-2014, 07:39 AM
It's a shame there's not an introductory offer on this, why is the Modo version so much cheaper?

adhesiveX
02-25-2014, 07:46 AM
It's a shame there's not an introductory offer on this, why is the Modo version so much cheaper?

Agreed!

devin
02-25-2014, 07:58 AM
The LW version is sold along with the complete package that includes the standalone version and all of the other app modules while the modo version is offered as a standalone plug-in.

digefxgrp
02-25-2014, 08:01 AM
HDR-LS is an awesome plugin and definitely worth EVERY penny.
Totally makes lighting enjoyable...and super fast.
Glad to see a 'Live' module has now popped for LW.

Andy Webb
02-25-2014, 08:35 AM
The LW version is sold along with the complete package that includes the standalone version and all of the other app modules while the modo version is offered as a standalone plug-in.

Well if I only use LW why do I need the other plugins? :-(

ActionBob
02-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Well if I only use LW why do I need the other plugins? :-(

I agree with your sentiment Andy. But again, I also agree that this is definitely a good thing for people making money with it. For us occasional free-lancers / hobbiest, perhaps not the most prudent use of your money. I Watched the demo and thought, "cool." I went to look at the price and thought, "not that cool." And if you think about it, how many different HDRI's are you going to use - really. Are you going to make a new HDRI for every scene you create? I would guess that after the novelty wears off and you settle in on some HDRI's that you really like, you will use them time and again. After all, you can vary your lighting with even a handful of good images by rotating / adjusting them to fit your needs. Granted, not as fast as with this plug-in, but it is doable.

Don't get me wrong, this is a cool plug-in and a time saver, but at that price point, it is best if you are making money with it. I will, instead, put 200 bucks toward my upgrade of Terragen 3 (make my spherical HDRI's in there and use those for lighting - mostly interested in exterior shots anyway). I will keep an eye on this plug-in though and wait for a sale.

Chrusion
02-25-2014, 09:47 AM
The demo video showed only the creation of a single, static POV reflection map. Great for static shots, but move the camera and the entire look of the object changes.

Is there a demo vid of using this for GI? The meteor mic object was 0% diffuse and 100% reflection. I'd like to see how effective this plugin is for diffuse GI shading in which camera position doesn't alter the object's appearance to such a near-infinite degree as primary reflection ray incident angle does by nature.

Lewis
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
The demo video showed only the creation of a single, static POV reflection map. Great for static shots, but move the camera and the entire look of the object changes.

Hmm, Not sure what you are aiming for there ? What would you expect to happen in real world if you pan/roate camera around car or any reflective object in real world? Ofcourse that lighting/reflection is changed when you practcally have 360 spherical world wraped around it. Desn't that happen in real also :)?

Is there a demo vid of using this for GI? The meteor mic object was 0% diffuse and 100% reflection. I'd like to see how effective this plugin is for diffuse GI shading in which camera position doesn't alter the object's appearance to such a near-infinite degree as primary reflection ray incident angle does by nature.

sure, It wroks fine with GI, same as woudl any HDRI map in LW. This one uses GI + camera movement.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sde9pgy3c8rhn5v/Lewis_Impala_HDRLS.mp4

Mr_Q
02-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Normally I'm fine with plugin pricing, but this seems a tad high. It is "neat" but the only thing I see you are really paying for is the ability to use VPR for light placement. Which is super-cool, but not $400+ cool.

For the rest, I've and I'm sure others, have been doing this for years. I have my HDR paint app open and paint a lighting enviro then pop over to LW and click "reload" image. Yes, some more hoops to jump though, but not overly. Plus I have the full tools of a paint app. Lastly, justifying the price by saying it supports all those other programs does me no good. I don't use those others.

Give me a $100 to $150 version that's Lightwave only.

rcallicotte
02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
I agree - a version just for LW at about $100 is interesting. Otherwise, not so much.

zapper1998
02-25-2014, 10:36 AM
So how does this work with Octane Renderer???

Mike

m.d.
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
just like with VPR....just ctrl click to place lights in octane IPR

and disconnect your environments in octane render target

Juan did both plugins...octane and hdrLightStudio....so its pretty well integrated

Lewis
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
For the rest, I've and I'm sure others, have been doing this for years. I have my HDR paint app open and paint a lighting enviro then pop over to LW and click "reload" image. Yes, some more hoops to jump though, but not overly. Plus I have the full tools of a paint app. Lastly, justifying the price by saying it supports all those other programs does me no good. I don't use those others.

HDR Paint app ? Any link for it ? Thanks.

Not really sure it's comparable but it'd like to see it first but so far i've not find anythign remotely similar and easy like HDRLstudio is, at least Lw integration 'coz i didn't try others but from vidoe son their page LW integration sems one of best if not the best.

As for pricing i have no idea why is it more expensive for LW than modo but form what I understand it is standalone app + plugin (with LIVE link to LW unlike for osme other apps whcih ned to export/import to use it) so it's not like they can sell only plugin (similar like Octane system - standalone+plugin pack).

akademus
02-25-2014, 10:57 AM
just like with VPR....just ctrl click to place lights in octane IPR

and disconnect your environments in octane render target

Juan did both plugins...octane and hdrLightStudio....so its pretty well integrated

Yes in IPR, but when I try to render image with Octane it shuts it off!? Do I have to render HDRI and connect it back as an env to get it to work?

Maybe Octane needs to be updated!?

Lewis
02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Yes in IPR, but when I try to render image with Octane it shuts it off!? Do I have to render HDRI and connect it back as an env to get it to work?

Maybe Octane needs to be updated!?

Well i can't test that 'coz i have Demo/beta of octane which is much older than where octane is now :). BUT if oyu found BUG report it to Juan, he did both so he surely can fix/update it easily :).

prometheus
02-25-2014, 11:42 AM

whatīs the differenc in the pricing here?
Another reason to start look into modo, this is frustrating, the lux team is piling up so many features and good third party plugins..so even though this is great news for lightwave users, it might fall flat unless there is
equa pricing towards the platforms.

Michael

Seggy
02-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Hi, I'm Mark from Lightmap Ltd.... developers of HDR Light Studio software. I can answer your questions here. A good place to check out what HDR Light Studio is... is to go through our features here: http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/image_based_lighting.htm

We are not a painting app.... we provide an interactive HDRI canvas where light sources (nodes) are placed and adjusted to created the desired lighting effect. All properties can be edited at any time and the canvas updates instantly. Also the spherical mapping is handled for you too - so a light looks the same wherever its placed on the lat-long map. You render the final HDRI map at any resolution you like. The software includes an extensive library of HDR light sources with captures of real studio light sources... not just the synthetic lights.

When you add the LightPaint feature, so you can click on 3D model to place lights... we become a powerful lighting tool. You can use HDR Light Studio instead of using traditional 3D lights for many types of shot. It is true this lends itself to stills better than animation.. but we have customers doing some great VFX work like this lit with HDRLS... http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/customers/framestore

In terms of the pricing.... you can't please everyone. Our main user base is professional image makers looking to light products, cars etc to a high quality level, but quickly on tight commercial deadlines - do checkout our gallery and see the kind of images people light with HDRLS. When we released version 4 - we decided not to charge separately for each plugin, and to provide total compatibility at a great price. This is similar to Maxwell Render... you get all the plugins and can use it with whatever app you like. We had many customers who had several 3D apps and we didn't think it was fair paying to use our app more than once.

Since then we have produced some special editions that are partner specific, like the MODO version.... Luxology worked with us to get a special deal for their customers and it made sense for us to work with them and provide that special version and pricing.

However with any special version... HDR Light Studio can not be used standalone, and does not include our LiveLight lighting preview window. LiveLight can be very handy for loading huge 3d models and lighting them. Our LiveLight window also supports LightPaint, its a nice place to light a shot and can load Collada and OBJ scenes.

There’s more to HDR Light Studio than initially meets the eye. Please do take a look at our web site, there is a huge amount of information on there and examples of peoples work etc.
www.hdrlightstudio.com

To be honest we had quite a lot of negativity in the MODO community in the start and similar feedback about price etc... but if you see what our users are saying now, you can see HDR Light Studio is a game changer for many peoples lighting workflow: http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/blog/customer-work/modo-users-are-loving-hdr-light-studio/

I'll just finish by saying it's been great to get involved with the Lightwave community so far. Our beta testers have been fantastic (shout outs to Lewis, D J Waterman and Luis Lopez especially) and the response to our tool so far has been great. Also Juanjo did a great job on the development of the plugin, and ensuring it worked with Octane too. Let me know if you have any specific questions guys, I am not a Lightwave expert... but I am a HDR Light Studio expert. Regards Mark

juanjgon
02-25-2014, 01:24 PM
To work with the Light Paint feature in the Octane IPR window you only need to enable HDRLS after enable the Octane plugin. In the Octane IPR window, you need to use CTRL+Left button to paint, and CTRL+Right button to select a light.

-Juanjo

akademus
02-27-2014, 01:56 AM
To work with the Light Paint feature in the Octane IPR window you only need to enable HDRLS after enable the Octane plugin. In the Octane IPR window, you need to use CTRL+Left button to paint, and CTRL+Right button to select a light.

-Juanjo

I'm using demo version of HDRI light studio to try it out and the latest registered Octane. It works fine in the IPR but when I hit F9 to render environment is gone. My question is do I need to render HDRI and apply it as an image environment in order to get it to work with F9 render?

BTW Awesome work man, on this and everything else you did so far. You alone are bringing LW closer to everyone else in the industry than a whole LW Group together.

juanjgon
02-27-2014, 02:02 AM
I'm using demo version of HDRI light studio to try it out and the latest registered Octane. It works fine in the IPR but when I hit F9 to render environment is gone. My question is do I need to render HDRI and apply it as an image environment in order to get it to work with F9 render?

BTW Awesome work man, on this and everything else you did so far. You alone are bringing LW closer to everyone else in the industry than a whole LW Group together.

Yes, to render the scene with the rendered HDRI image you need to add the texture environment node in the render target node editor and use .hdr image as environment. You only need to make this setup once, later if you overwrite the .hdr file with a new one, press F9 is going to reload the new .hdr file.

-Juanjo

akademus
02-27-2014, 02:07 AM
That's cool as well, I was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Ztreem
03-07-2014, 06:35 AM
We just bought two floating licenses of HDR LightStudio here at work, mostly to use with keyshot. We use Cinema 4D and Lightwave as well and I must say that the LW plugin is by far the best integrated plugin of all three. In lightwave it's live in the viewport and a joy to work with. In Cinema it works that you send the model to the standalone application and do the lightpainting and then you have to save out the HDRI and then set it up in Cinema, not as nice as in LightWave. In Keyshot the workflow is so crippled so it's almost useless. I will not use HDR LightStudio in Keyshot as intended but use it in LightWave instead.

I just want to say thanks to Juan for a great plugin that works amazingly good. It's fun to be a LightWave user at work right now!

prometheus
03-07-2014, 06:40 AM
We just bought two floating licenses of HDR LightStudio here at work, mostly to use with keyshot. We use Cinema 4D and Lightwave as well and I must say that the LW plugin is by far the best integrated plugin of all three. In lightwave it's live in the viewport and a joy to work with. In Cinema it works that you send the model to the standalone application and do the lightpainting and then you have to save out the HDRI and then set it up in Cinema, not as nice as in LightWave. In Keyshot the workflow is so crippled so it's almost useless. I will not use HDR LightStudio in Keyshot as intended but use it in LightWave instead.

I just want to say thanks to Juan for a great plugin that works amazingly good. It's fun to be a LightWave user at work right now!

Thanks for the heads up and the info on that, Initially I thought the plugin might be to expensive, and since you can produce great imagery anyway if you know how too, and with the help of hdr,sIBL or octane etc...but it is good to hear about it actually working better than in keyshot or cinema4d...that is truly a surprise.

Michael

Lewis
03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Really I've looked all videos for other apps and LW implementation is best, only modo implementation is close to interaction but little more "clicker" due GUI of modo but other apps are more complicated, and have slower feedback/setup time so really Juan did fabulous job here.

lardbros
03-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Since the floating license release we've been using it for loads of our work.

Animations aren't too much of an issue either, I tend to render the shot twice, and blend between lighting setups... it's pretty seamless if you want continuous camera moves!

Great tool... and the LW implementation is by far the best I've used. Very tight integration indeed, and the use of presets is genius! Thanks Juanjo for that! :D

Seggy
03-08-2014, 01:16 AM
Wow, some great feedback there, thanks all!

Just to let you know we are releasing a live plugin for C4D too on the 18th March. This will have LightPaint in the viewport like the LightWave plug-in and a live connection. This is a free update for our users. So you should like that ZTreem.

For KeyShot then we have no control over the quality of the live connection, this is coded by Luxion. It was initially created in HDRLS version 2 I think, before we had the LightPaint feature and they ended up not adding that feature for their users... which is a shame. KeyShot has no SDK that we can use to make the plug-in, so we have to accept what level of support Luxion want to offer in KeyShot. Sorry ZTreem, we would also like it to support LightPaint, it would truly rock then!!

Back to LightWave, I just made a video showing how awesome Octane Render is working with HDR Light Studio. What is amazing is that the LightPaint feature does work inside the Octane Live view. With a decent graphics card... it's so fast! See what you think.

Here's the video:
https://vimeo.com/88493130

Lewis
03-08-2014, 02:57 AM
Great demo Mark, thanks for creating it.

Ztreem
03-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Just to let you know we are releasing a live plugin for C4D too on the 18th March. This will have LightPaint in the viewport like the LightWave plug-in and a live connection. This is a free update for our users. So you should like that ZTreem.

For KeyShot then we have no control over the quality of the live connection, this is coded by Luxion. It was initially created in HDRLS version 2 I think, before we had the LightPaint feature and they ended up not adding that feature for their users... which is a shame. KeyShot has no SDK that we can use to make the plug-in, so we have to accept what level of support Luxion want to offer in KeyShot. Sorry ZTreem, we would also like it to support LightPaint, it would truly rock then!!

Back to LightWave, I just made a video showing how awesome Octane Render is working with HDR Light Studio. What is amazing is that the LightPaint feature does work inside the Octane Live view. With a decent graphics card... it's so fast! See what you think.

Here's the video:

Thanks for the heads up, sounds great with a livelink plugin for Cinema. We have already complained to Luxion and will continue to do so, I hope they realize soon, that they need a better connection to HDR LightStudio.

Great video showing Octane, It's getting harder and harder not to buy Octane. It looks amazingly nice and really fast.

gordonrobb
03-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Here's the video:

That's really helpful. What I want to use the plugin for is in conjunction with HDR image bacgrounds. Any chance you can do a video showing that workflow, as I cannot get it to work properly.

Seggy
03-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Yes, I'll make a video showing enhancing an existing HDRI map asap :-)

gordonrobb
03-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Cheers, I'll get that scene packaged up for you.

Snosrap
03-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Something different than cars. :) No LW lights used. - Completely lit with HDR Light Studio. HDRLS is super cool!

djwaterman
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
That's a gorgeous render Tim.

juanjgon
03-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Hello,

Arnold for LIghtwave users can begin to work with HDRLS ... currently LWtoA supports the live HDRI images from HDRLS using the Lightwave environment plugin. The only problem is that LightPaint over the Arnold IPR window is not ready yet ... you need to click over the Lightwave OpenGL viewport, not over the Arnold IPR window, but as you can see, all is updated in realtime and all works fine.

I want to add the LightPaint over the Arnold IPR window as soon as possible

https://vimeo.com/89755449

-Juanjo

3djock
10-10-2014, 09:31 AM

Here's the video:
If you had a group buy at a lower price Seggy, than I would be all for it but right now it is not in my budget to buy. Nice plugin thou.

prometheus
10-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Fantastic to see octane,arnold and light studio showing up as alternative rendering solutions for lightwave...this will take some time to follow and research for me.

I am also interested to know about arnoldīs volumetric system and what that can do in conjunction with lightwave...need to know if it uses itīs own volumetric handler and itīs own light types etc?

Michael

Hail
02-15-2019, 04:27 AM
Has anyone checked if this plugin works with 2018/2019?

tony6
02-15-2019, 05:35 AM
If you mean HDR Light Studio, I am using it with LW2019 and no problem so far.

Ma3rk
02-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Haven't tried it yet with 2019, but Studio 5 worked fine with 2018.