PDA

View Full Version : Do you need more than a 1.5gb gpu for use in LW?

yoshiii
02-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Hello

Is a video card with more than 1.5gb ram for light wave necessary?

rednova
02-24-2014, 05:50 PM
dear friend:
I'm still using lightwave 9.6 with only 1 gig ram and is good enough for everything
lightwave. Lightwave runs super, and I never had any problems with it.
I even use sasquatch plugin by worley, and all is good.
I do not know about lightwave 11 though, but lw 9.6 runs super with 1 gig ram.
Hope this helps !!!

spherical
02-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Let's not confuse RAM and VRAM. LightWave eats RAM like crazy. The larger the scene, the larger the render, the more RAM it needs. VRAM quantity depends upon whether you will eventually use a GPU renderer or not. Yes, having more VRAM will allow Modeler to work better and 1.5GB is probably enough, if you don't get extremely high poly counts. Again, just like anything else RAM related, more is better. The thing with RAM is that you can add more, up to the number of slots. With a video card, you're into getting another card.

JonW
02-24-2014, 08:17 PM
LW 11.6 works perfectly with GTX 280 with 30"+24" monitors. (LW is perfectly ok with GTX 260 or 9800 for that matter just a touch slower but not really an issue)

You have to be doing very large poly counts with Modeler to have a problem.

Layout, if you have massive poly counts, turn those objects to "bounding box". This also has an added benefit of getting a busy scene cleared of clutter so you can now work on new things that you have added.

Get a cheap 660 now, & if you add a second monitor use it with this later on & upgrade to a better GC then. & by then GC will be cheaper still.