PDA

View Full Version : New surface types coming in LWCAD 5 including NURBS surfaces

hrgiger
02-24-2014, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmtpd4boCvc

ernpchan
02-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Viktor is a genius.

JohnMarchant
02-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Cant wait

erikals
02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
just saw it,... interesting! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

COBRASoft
02-24-2014, 03:38 PM
The cat is out of the box :). Viktor had some issues with NURBS for LWCad before, but he found a way around those issues.

LWCad 5 will be awesome!

drcola
02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm not a user of LWCAD yet, but I want to be. Should I wait for version 5 to come out?

hrgiger
02-24-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm not a user of LWCAD yet, but I want to be. Should I wait for version 5 to come out?

If you really want the new nurbs feature, there hasn't been a free upgrade announced yet for buying the current version. But he's about to start a sale on LWCAD for 20% off. A full license will be $239. Upgrades from 3.x will be $119 and upgrades from 2.x will be $179. As far as I'm aware, there's no upgrade path from the free version that came with LW9 (which was version 1.5 I believe).

spherical
02-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Any idea on upgrades from 4.5?

EDIT: Ah, just checked his site and I see that you are quoting the current upgrades to 4.5, not upgrades to 5. Nevermind...

Snosrap
02-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Wow! I'm way more excited about this than Mesh Fusion or MetaMesh! Instant upgrade for me. One thing I just noticed on W-Tools web site - it says that LWCad 4.51 was just released-February 24th, 2014 - I've been using 4.51 since Aug 22, 2013. What gives?

allabulle
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm a bit confused as well. Is it really 4.51 brand new or new as in official release new of sorts? I've been using it for months too.

geo_n
02-24-2014, 10:43 PM
there's no upgrade path from the free version that came with LW9 (which was version 1.5 I believe).

That's too bad. There's some lwvers I know still using lw 9 with the old lwcad. Maybe Victor can offer a last chance upgrade like what Vue did a few years back.

Silkrooster
02-24-2014, 10:57 PM
I am looking forward to the nurbs surfaces. Should make things much easier.

ernpchan
02-24-2014, 11:09 PM
I assume you have to freeze the nurbs to render in Layout.

Ztreem
02-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Interesting...I wonder if we will be able to trim surfaces and set curvature between surfaces. Maybe in the future we can use LWCAD to import/export STEP and IGES files in LightWave.
I'll keep my eyes on this one for sure.

Mastoy
02-25-2014, 01:09 AM
I assume you have to freeze the nurbs to render in Layout.

Same question here. I hope not !

hrgiger
02-25-2014, 02:33 AM
That's too bad. There's some lwvers I know still using lw 9 with the old lwcad. Maybe Victor can offer a last chance upgrade like what Vue did a few years back.

Well keep in mind, Viktor just wanted to keep LightWavers in the loop and let everyone know that he is still very much involved in LWCAD development. LWCAD 5 hasn't even entered beta phase yet so I'm sure once he gets closer to that point, there will be an upgrade path to 5. New NURBS required rewriting pretty much most of LWCAD tools so that it would work with new system so he's just been very busy.

Regarding LWCAD 4.51..I don't think this is a new update, I think this is just the date that Viktor has updated the website.

And yes, if LWCAD 5 were released today they would currently not render in Layout but he's hoping he can work with LW3DG on making that happen eventually.

I think what Viktor posted is just tip of iceberg for what could be done with NURBS. Once he implements Booleans for example, you could cut holes in mesh (or join meshes) and adjust fillets of border edges much like you can do with Mesh Fusion.

allabulle
02-25-2014, 02:45 AM
Thank you for the clarifications and insight, hrgiger.

Luc_Feri
02-25-2014, 03:33 AM
LWCAD is the main reason I stopped using MODO as my primary modelling package, it is simply the best, most intuitive and easiest of all the plugins and software I own.

I did jump on the Mesh Fusion introductory offer as the ability to live boolean in SUB-D's was very tempting. It does work well and gets you great results but yes the mesh density is high.

LWCAD 5 looks simply awesome with its possibilities and once Viktor implements booleans it will be so much more cleaner and easier to create those fusion style models, it will be very special indeed. :D

You've got a future sale booked from me, no question!!

Great work Viktor, even fellow MODO'nauts say hard cheese to us, LWCAD is the bomb!!

I noticed Brad Peebler had commented on the video link too.

I think 4.5.1 was just in Beta before and has been available for a while to use. I have just downloaded the latest 4.5.1 so thanks for mentioning this as well.

raw-m
02-25-2014, 06:02 AM
I think that may shine a little light on what is to come in LW12. Can't wait!

arail
02-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Once he implements Booleans for example, you could cut holes in mesh (or join meshes) and adjust fillets of border edges much like you can do with Mesh Fusion.

I'm very curious about this. The video raises some big questions:
According to the video booleans will not be supported in the first release - an estimate of how long after first release they will be supported would be helpful - 6 months? A year?
The video shows nurbs and polygons on one object, sharing edges. Can that object be sub-divided?
Can an edge joining a nurbs surface and a polygon be filleted?

arail
02-25-2014, 09:03 AM
LWCAD is the main reason I stopped using MODO as my primary modelling package, it is simply the best, most intuitive and easiest of all the plugins and software I own.

I keep toying with the idea of selling my modo license and jumping ship to LW because of LWCAD. I downloaded a demo of LW and have to admit that I didn't get along well with the modeling tools - but even if I had, it wouldn't have been a real test because there isn't a demo version of LWCAD and it's the LWCAD plug-in that interests me. This video definitely raises the issue again. Mesh Fusion looks interesting as a way to solve the booleans / sub d problem but it's $500 - an awful lot of money for a plug-in that does one thing. If LWCAD offers nurbs, booleans and a CAD overlay all in one package than the picture tilts strongly in favor of LW over modo.

hrgiger
02-25-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm very curious about this. The video raises some big questions:
According to the video booleans will not be supported in the first release - an estimate of how long after first release they will be supported would be helpful - 6 months? A year?
The video shows nurbs and polygons on one object, sharing edges. Can that object be sub-divided?
Can an edge joining a nurbs surface and a polygon be filleted?

Yeah sorry cant help you with that only Viktor would be able to answer that and he may not even have a good estimate of how soon that could be.

Luc_Feri
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I keep toying with the idea of selling my modo license and jumping ship to LW because of LWCAD. I downloaded a demo of LW and have to admit that I didn't get along well with the modeling tools - but even if I had, it wouldn't have been a real test because there isn't a demo version of LWCAD and it's the LWCAD plug-in that interests me. This video definitely raises the issue again. Mesh Fusion looks interesting as a way to solve the booleans / sub d problem but it's $500 - an awful lot of money for a plug-in that does one thing. If LWCAD offers nurbs, booleans and a CAD overlay all in one package than the picture tilts strongly in favor of LW over modo.

I do really like MODO for modelling and to be honest I didn't use Modeler much at the start but once I saw what LWCAD had to offer I was sold and I have not regretted buying it at all. It really does work as easily as when Viktor demonstrates the tools on his Youtube videos, and I said before to someone else, I laugh at how easy it is to do things with the toolset.

The snapping in LWCAD is first class, I love move snap, it's one of my faves along with Vector Clone, so simple and efficient to use. Ok you can use array in Modo, but the snapping is so precise in LWCAD that I love to Vector Clone and merge the points and weld huge sections of rails or continous peices and sections together very quickly. The Mirror 4.5 tool is another fave too, so simple, yet so powerful. Instance modelling with the ArchViz toolset is very, very handy too. I use Mass Extrude a ton and the amount of control you can have with Mass Round is very precise. I could go on and on, so many useful tools that work just as easily as they are advertised, which is not always the case with some softwares.

Mesh Fusion is very good and easy to get into but the assets are very dense meshes and I would only use this right now for product shots or very tricky to do Sub-D parts.

prometheus
02-25-2014, 01:18 PM
yes...finally, nurbīs is on its way, love the touch nurbs function for reshaping.
I would have liked to see some lofting or blending between curves and surfaces, if it could perform equally nice lofting as Moi does with Itīs live deformation active during lofting, but it may not be in the first version for lw cad.

Michael

Lewis
02-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Fantastic sneak peak from Viktor. Hopefully later on it will be full nurbs toolset. That would be good reason for me to upgrade my home LWCAD 1.5 (or was it 1.6?).

Waves of light
02-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Well, if this is just the tip of the iceberg, I can't wait to see what else Viktor has up his sleeve.

hrgiger
02-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Regarding LWCAD 4.51..I don't think this is a new update, I think this is just the date that Viktor has updated the website.

Actually I may have misspoken here. It does look like 4.51 is a new update with a few fixes and enhancements. If you're on the mailing list, you should have received his newsletter.

Bitboy
02-25-2014, 04:48 PM
This looks very very nice. Sure upgrade for me too :-) Great work Viktor!

geo_n
02-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Fantastic sneak peak from Viktor. Hopefully later on it will be full nurbs toolset. That would be good reason for me to upgrade my home LWCAD 1.5 (or was it 1.6?).

Last version that is upgradable is v2 in the website. So 1.5 is out of the loop as hrgiger mentioned. Too bad I think.

Lewis
02-26-2014, 01:43 AM
Last version that is upgradable is v2 in the website. So 1.5 is out of the loop as hrgiger mentioned. Too bad I think.

Yes i know (which is pitty 'coz it could attract few users more if he allow to upgrade form any version) i didn't say it right, I wanted to say it might be good reason for me to look at LWCAD buy since i use my 1.5(6) occasionally but not so much in my modeling design. Granted all that ONLY if he (or LWG3D) find way to keep it as Nurbs and still renderable (i don't want to freeze anything, then i can use any NURBS package and convert to polys :))

hrgiger
02-26-2014, 02:42 AM
Well concerning 1.5 version, I kind of look at it like SasLite. We got free version of Sas in LightWave 7 to introduce us to Worley's Sasquatch plug-in and there was no discount to upgrade to full version of Sasquatch. And that was stripped down version of Sas. But we got full working version of LWCAD 1.5 in LW9 for free so I can understand why he's not offering upgrade path. Also, upgrade prices are not the same for each version and they're more expensive the further back you go so as from the sale price I mentioned earlier in the thread, going from 3.x to 4.5 is $119, going from 2.x to 4.5 is $179, so on that scale, you really wouldn't save a lot for upgrading from version 1.x even if he offered a discount. In any event, I do feel like LWCAD is a tremendous value for the additions it brings to modeler.

COBRASoft
02-26-2014, 04:07 AM
Viktor is a reasonable guy, you could always mail him and ask if he could make an upgrade possible from 1.5. But you have to understand there are limitations to upgrade paths. Most programs go back 1 version and not more for upgrading.

Kuzey
02-26-2014, 04:14 AM
I got 1.5 as well..never installed though. One of my major concerns was that LWCad looked like it was non quad friendly..creating n-gons and what not.

Still...this is looking mighty fine indeed :)

arail
02-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Mesh Fusion looks interesting as a way to solve the booleans / sub d problem but it's $500 - an awful lot of money for a plug-in that does one thing.

I don't know how or if posts can be edited on this forum but that figure I indicated is wrong. Mesh Fusion is $400, not $500.

sadkkf
02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
LWCAD is definitely worth the money. Sitting on a 2.5 license, I'm waiting for 5 to be released unless there will be some free upgrade path to 5 if I upgrade to 4.51 now. I just can't afford all these upgrades.

Sekhar
02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
LWCAD is definitely worth the money. Sitting on a 2.5 license, I'm waiting for 5 to be released unless there will be some free upgrade path to 5 if I upgrade to 4.51 now. I just can't afford all these upgrades.

Yeah, I'm hesitating too for the same reason. I'm really surprised Viktor talked of 5.0 when promoting 4.x upgrade, especially when it is a long way off (apparently)...will make people pause. I'll email him to see if there's a free upgrade to 5.0 if we pick up the 4.x upgrade now. Anyone else knows the answer to that already?

sadkkf
02-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I'm hesitating too for the same reason. I'm really surprised Viktor talked of 5.0 when promoting 4.x upgrade, especially when it is a long way off (apparently)...will make people pause. I'll email him to see if there's a free upgrade to 5.0 if we pick up the 4.x upgrade now. Anyone else knows the answer to that already?

Good point. Let me know what Victor has to say. I'm tempted to jump now, of course, but would rather wait.

hrgiger
02-26-2014, 12:21 PM

i wouldnt say its a long way off, but he still has some work to do before hes ready to put it in beta. And as i mentioned earlier, Viktor just wanted to let the LightWave community have a glimpse of what he was working on to let people know he was still hard at working at bringing us a new version of LWCAD.

Snosrap
02-26-2014, 01:31 PM
At the full price of $299 ($239 with his current running discount) this is a steal. If you are a power user or a LW dabbler, LWCad is the single best LW plug-in investment you'll ever make.

Waves of light
02-26-2014, 02:06 PM
I completely agree with Tim here. The amount of additional modeling functions you get with LWCAD for $299 is amazing. Look at the newly released HDR plugin as a comparison, nearly $500. You don't have to just do arch viz too, it can be used to assist your modeling techniques for all areas of modeling.

Lewis
02-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Look at the newly released HDR plugin as a comparison, nearly $500.

I wouldn't compare Apples and Oranges. HRDLS has nothgin to do with LWCAD or vice versa. Completelly different story/needs and both have their usages and are crucial in their part of "world" but not comparable by anmy means, not by usage nor by price teg regardless of which one is cheaper you can't replace LWCAD with HDLRS or other way around so we need them both :).

Waves of light
02-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't compare Apples and Oranges. HRDLS has nothgin to do with LWCAD or vice versa. Completelly different story/needs and both have their usages and are crucial in their part of "world" but not comparable by anmy means, not by usage nor by price teg regardless of which one is cheaper you can't replace LWCAD with HDLRS or other way around so we need them both :).

Sorry, but IMO the HRDLS plugin is over priced for the functionality it provides, but that's my opinion. But, the point I was trying to make is that for bang for buck, LWCAD offers so much more and you'll gain so much more... And as Tim said, given the current pricing, it's a steal.

Lewis
02-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Sorry, but IMO the HRDLS plugin is over priced for the functionality it provides, but that's my opinion. But, the point I was trying to make is that for bang for buck, LWCAD offers so much more and you'll gain so much more... And as Tim said, given the current pricing, it's a steal.

Hehe like I said, it is not comparable regardles of optinion(s). Just for a proving the point can you tell me how will LWCAD help anyone in layout doing rendering/lighting/animating.... :)? Same goes for HDRLS to anyone who is primary modeling. Also I think many people don't yet understand power of HDRLS. I find it very valuable for studio/product shoot renders (or even for exteriors 'coz i can tweak already avaialble HDRIs and add my bits to it and mix it all together, otr just enhance sun or reflections...) and many more, it saves so much time and look better than doznes of fiddling with luminous polys/lights (and i've done my shar eof those renders for years and years and finalyl nwo feel like "at home" when all that is now just few clicks away ;)). I'm using LWCAD more at work but not at my home Vehicles design/creation 'coz it's not helping me any in SubDs modeling (that's why i'm still on 1.5(6) at home) so as you see it's different for anyone :). But that might change with NURBS in future so i'd support/buy LWCAD too/again then :).

Yet let's not go off topic in LWCAD topic.

spherical
02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Mass Round and the Pipe Tool alone are enough reason for me to always keep my version up-to-date. They've saved SO much time over the years.

Waves of light
02-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Yet let's not go off topic in LWCAD topic.

Fair enough.

I am, however, shocked to learn you haven't upgraded from 1.5 for private work... And yes, I know you focus a lot on vehicles, but I know your portfolio is packed with arch viz too.

Re. Nurbs... If Viktor can make it so that the process is non destructible (not having to freeze before going to Layout) then that's going to make a few heads turn.

Lewis
02-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Fair enough.

I am, however, shocked to learn you haven't upgraded from 1.5 for private work... And yes, I know you focus a lot on vehicles, but I know your portfolio is packed with arch viz too.

I have dayjob at company (doing Light Desing for Arch-Viz 99% of time) and Freelancing (vehicles 95% of time). Different LW licenses and LWCAD versions so i didn't need home upgrade yet (i have some other plugin(s) for snapping so i would rarely use any of LWCAD toolset for vehices/subDs)), BUT with LWCAD 5 that might change :) ;).

raw-m
02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
If LW12 does NURBS in Layout, how about Viktor moving LWCAD to Layout? Or a few additional controls that could be animateable (thinking out loud).

hrgiger
02-26-2014, 04:41 PM
If LW12 does NURBS in Layout, how about Viktor moving LWCAD to Layout? Or a few additional controls that could be animateable (thinking out loud).

Anything is possible. He was prepared to do CORE version of LWCAD but they never finished polygon handler in CORE. But it would be long time before that was even a possibility. And this is also me thinking out loud and not reflecting anything that Viktor has talked about. I know of no plans to put LWCAD in Layout. Dont' even know what the state of integration is like in LW (sadly).

Concerning HDRLS (and sorry for being off topic but its my thread :) ) but yes $500 is seemingly a lot but if you do product shots it seems like it would be worth it. I imagine a decent job or two and it would pay for itself. Its like any other plug-in. As someone who makes only a small portion of income off of 3D, there are a lot of plug-ins I wish I could buy but I can't always justify it. I just have to convince myself that I don't really need it :).

geo_n
02-27-2014, 12:09 AM
How will lwcad nurbs deal with uvmaps, vmaps in general?
Is it a one way workflow from nurbs to poly?

Silkrooster
02-28-2014, 12:23 AM
How will lwcad nurbs deal with uvmaps, vmaps in general?
Is it a one way workflow from nurbs to poly?

Not according to the video. he was showing that you can switch between nurbs and polys as much as you like. Or that's my take on it. Keeping in mind that could change.

sadkkf
02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Any word on the upgrade path from 4.51 to 5.0? Paid? Free?

hrgiger
02-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Well 5 will definitely be a paid update from 4.5 if that's what you mean. As far as a free upgrade path from buying current version to version 5 I am not sure.

sadkkf
02-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Well 5 will definitely be a paid update from 4.5 if that's what you mean. As far as a free upgrade path from buying current version to version 5 I am not sure.

Thanks. That was my suspicion. I'm guessing 5.0 won't be along for a few months anyway, seeing this current promo runs until the end of March. Wonder how long I can hold out... :)

tburbage
03-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Mass Round and the Pipe Tool alone are enough reason for me to always keep my version up-to-date. They've saved SO much time over the years.

And throwing in Engraver and Profiler, two really advanced extruders...

In terms adding a NURBS surface toolset on top of LW, I'd personally much rather have advanced Subdivision Surfaces tools, which, maybe with some coordination with the LW dev team, could eventually integrate rather than sit on top of the old LW foundation... Most of the LWCad toolset doesn't recognize a shape in SDS mode at all, though it of course works fine on the cages if you exit subpatch/CC mode. To me, that's the direction things are headed in modeling. Just my opinion...

hrgiger
03-02-2014, 12:43 PM
In terms adding a NURBS surface toolset on top of LW, I'd personally much rather have advanced Subdivision Surfaces tools, which, maybe with some coordination with the LW dev team, could eventually integrate rather than sit on top of the old LW foundation... Most of the LWCad toolset doesn't recognize a shape in SDS mode at all, though it of course works fine on the cages if you exit subpatch/CC mode. To me, that's the direction things are headed in modeling. Just my opinion...

I've talked to Viktor before about adding support for subdivision surfaces in LWCAD. Quite a few of my presets that I sell for LWCAD are built with subdivision surfaces but they're stored in the preset library as polygons. Doors and Windows and other things like I just use polygons anyway but thinks like elements and furniture I prefer to use subpatches. But as they are now, you have to enable subpatches once they are taken from Library. So its possible Viktor may eventually support SDS in LWCAD but for right now I think he has his hands full with NURBS.

I for one look very much forward to having a NURBS toolset in LW. NURBS enable you to make forms that could be relatively time consuming or difficult with traditional polygonal or SDS methods.

tburbage
03-02-2014, 01:21 PM
I've talked to Viktor before about adding support for subdivision surfaces in LWCAD. Quite a few of my presets that I sell for LWCAD are built with subdivision surfaces but they're stored in the preset library as polygons. Doors and Windows and other things like I just use polygons anyway but thinks like elements and furniture I prefer to use subpatches. But as they are now, you have to enable subpatches once they are taken from Library. So its possible Viktor may eventually support SDS in LWCAD but for right now I think he has his hands full with NURBS.

I also briefly talked with him via email as I was seeing some useful tool possibilities building on top of LWCad's great curve toolset: a multi-curve Loft tool, a Bridge tool with a curve for reshaping and defining the lofted geometry (i.e. analogous to Profiler, which for non-LWCad users, is a really powerful, interactive, rail extruder). Probably a significant hurdle for external developers at this point in terms of SDS is that LW has 2 different SDS implementations, and I think we're all vaguely hoping there may be some convergence around Pixar SDS (aka OpenSubdiv in some form). Maybe the LW SDS story will be more clear in the next release or two. I guess I'm just saying it might not yet be the right time to invest a lot in this area until it becomes more clear where the LW team plans to go. Any hey, Viktor is free to innovate in whatever way he thinks best, and I'm sure whatever it is, it will be good.

W-Tools
03-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Hi everybody!

LWCAD 5.0 will be paid upgrade of course. Current sale is to make transition easier. After this sale, there will be another special with free upgrade to ver. 5 but for much higher price than usual.
I am trying to avoid big steps in license purchasing so users will not regret license purchase in wrong time.

Regarding new NURBS functionality. I am very keen to show you new tools working with NURBS surfaces. LWCAD will become now very complete in cycle 5.x.
You will get small Rhinoceros inside LightWave. And I want to release this year at least one additional free upgrade for cycle 5.x.
I will release more details soon.

Darth Mole
03-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Yay! A free rhinoceros!

Looking forward to seeing what else is in LWCAD 5.0, Viktor. (BTW, I'm not sure where you are based, but hope you aren't affected by the goings-on in the Ukraine. Unhappy times.)

erikals
03-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Viktor, something like this would be awesome in the future... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkcrdwuUO8

W-Tools
03-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Yay! A free rhinoceros!

Looking forward to seeing what else is in LWCAD 5.0, Viktor. (BTW, I'm not sure where you are based, but hope you aren't affected by the goings-on in the Ukraine. Unhappy times.)

Don't worry. I live in Slovakia. Member of EU and NATO. But I am not happy about this neither.

W-Tools
03-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Viktor, something like this would be awesome in the future... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkcrdwuUO8

I am already working on it :)

erikals
03-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Fantastic! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

btw, was in Bratislava in October, and really liked it..! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

W-Tools
03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Fantastic! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

btw, was in Bratislava in October, and really liked it..! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

I am just moving office to Bratislava in three months. So next time you can stop by :)

erikals
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
might be long, might be short, but i will do Viktor http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

enjoy Bratislava! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Waves of light
03-03-2014, 01:46 PM

That's me putting money aside for version 5! Can't wait to see this Rhino ;)

Ernest
03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi everybody!

LWCAD 5.0 will be paid upgrade of course. Current sale is to make transition easier. After this sale, there will be another special with free upgrade to ver. 5 but for much higher price than usual.

Hi!

So it will be cheaper to upgrade now from 3 to 4 now and then from 4 to 5 when available, than it will be to wait and upgrade from 3 to 4 with a free 5 with the new pricing?

Luc_Feri
03-04-2014, 03:28 AM
Exciting stuff. I can't wait for more sneak peaks. :D

alexs3d
03-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Hi everybody!

I will release more details soon.

hi viktor, amazing what you are putting into v5, i do not own LWCAD but i would like to buy it.

my QUESTION is, should i buy now the full version and then upgrad to 5 or should i wait for the higher priced special with the free upgrade.

thx for your answer and keep up your amazing work ;)

prometheus
03-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Awesome work from victor, and the nurbs will indeed be something I will look in too as a very attractive tool.

However, not related to new surface types...what about improving on dimension tools, from what Ivé seen and tested, those are not so good as compared to working with sketchup dimension tools.
for those wondering, itīs just a matter of downloading sketchup free and test yourself how easy it is to work with those dimension tools and to change and how they update when resizing plans,buildings,windows etc.

Michael

hrgiger
03-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Awesome work from victor, and the nurbs will indeed be something I will look in too as a very attractive tool.

However, not related to new surface types...what about improving on dimension tools, from what Ivé seen and tested, those are not so good as compared to working with sketchup dimension tools.
for those wondering, itīs just a matter of downloading sketchup free and test yourself how easy it is to work with those dimension tools and to change and how they update when resizing plans,buildings,windows etc.

Michael

What problems with dimension tools in LWCAD Michael? Dimension tools update when resizing. But I don't use sketchup so maybe there's other issue I'm unaware of.

prometheus
03-05-2014, 10:23 AM
What problems with dimension tools in LWCAD Michael? Dimension tools update when resizing. But I don't use sketchup so maybe there's other issue I'm unaware of.

Try sketchup and work with the dimensions there and see the difference on how smooth they are to work with, sketchup is free.

Michael

hrgiger
03-05-2014, 12:42 PM
michael, i will take your word for it only because i probably wont have time anytime soon to play around in sketchup but i would email Viktor and make a formal feature request for how you would like them to work. Im sure hes busy with nurbs but he has a good history of improving his tools.

prometheus
03-05-2014, 12:57 PM
michael, i will take your word for it only because i probably wont have time anytime soon to play around in sketchup but i would email Viktor and make a formal feature request for how you would like them to work. Im sure hes busy with nurbs but he has a good history of improving his tools.

Your were absolutly correct about updating of the dimensions when changing scale of items In Lw cad, but with the difference that you need to have the dimensions selected too in lightwave, you canīt just select the object itself and have the dimensions altered with it, or just select edges and resize etc, in sketchup you just pick the surface,line or object and resize and the dimensions alters with it, thatīs a difference, then you can also simply just drag out the dimension tools so they have lines perpendicular to the face or item selected and it makes it easier to seperate and view seperate from the item itself, sketchup also has options to change text and size of the font in the dimensions even though it is already placed.

You also got some different projection options which lw cad donīt, and finally ..direct printing of sketchup dimension on to drawings will be antialiased, that will not work directly in modeler..maybe in layout...but hereīs another issue, as far as I know ..dimension tools donīt work in layout really, and no way you can resize in layout and have dimensions autoupdate..so you will fall flat when producing renders or doing drawings with those dimensions showcased for a client to know about.
I think?....

Michael

prometheus
03-05-2014, 01:06 PM
some sketchup samples I did once..where the dimensions were important, not actually render....the dimensions are so easy to work with and the same
goes with the constructionlines,protractor, the pen tool,erase tool and the push and pull tool, those are some of the simple but great tools that I donīt see
any equal tool for in lwCad, and printing directly from sketchup gives great results directly without hazzle.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=120612&d=1394049799

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=120613&d=1394049821

120612 120613

hrgiger
03-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Ah nevermind. I know what you mean now with dimensions. Yes, dimensions in LWCAD are helper items and are separate from objects.

prometheus
03-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Ah nevermind. I know what you mean now with dimensions. Yes, dimensions in LWCAD are helper items and are separate from objects.

well yes...you scaled all segments in poly mode without actually selecting a connected segment, and when you selected a point that works, but not single segments...
using poly mode without anything selected all items change including the dimensions.
Anyway I would say it would be nice to have dynamic dimensions in layout, and a good way to print them as line art.

Michael

arail
03-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Worth pointing out that dimensions in SketchUp suck compared to almost any other program. Essentially useless. Compare them to dimensions in Rhino or even AutoCAD to see how it should be done.

prometheus
03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Worth pointing out that dimensions in SketchUp suck compared to almost any other program. Essentially useless. Compare them to dimensions in Rhino or even AutoCAD to see how it should be done.

Modo
Maya
Lightwave...?

Common!
I really donīt see them suck at all..they do what they should do in sketchup wich is by the way quite different and easier to work with than autocad....then again the issue is Lw cad dimensions that arenīt as good as the sketchup dimensions
that suck...and that means what? extremly horrible dimension tools in Lw cad?

arail
03-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Modo
Maya
Lightwave...?

Common!
I really donīt see them suck at all..they do what they should do in sketchup wich is by the way quite different and easier to work with than autocad....then again the issue is Lw cad dimensions that arenīt as good as the sketchup dimensions
that suck...and that means what? extremly horrible dimension tools in Lw cad?

Okay, I wasn't clear. modo has no dimensions and I don't know about maya. I was comparing SketchUp to CAD applications. The dimensions in SketchUp remain essentially constant when you zoom in and out (so they become too big when you zoom in and too small when you zoom out) and, in general, you have very little control over them. I think Rhino is a good example of how dimensions should work - you can set a size that will remain constant in model space so dimensions are readable no matter where you are relative to your objects. Further, you can set a size that remains constant in your prints, again, no matter where you are zoomed into or out of. And you have all the standard dimensional options - chained, aligned, etc. I love working in SketchUp and it's companion program Layout addresses a few of the issues I mentioned but if I've got to do a project with a lot of annotations I take the model into Rhino and do the dimensions, tags, labels, etc. there.

Getting back to LWCAD - I'm not a LW user but thinking about it due to LWCAD. Are you saying that there are no dimensions in LWCAD? If you want to print out a perspective view of an object you can't put dimensions on it?

hrgiger
03-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Okay, I wasn't clear. modo has no dimensions and I don't know about maya. I was comparing SketchUp to CAD applications. The dimensions in SketchUp remain essentially constant when you zoom in and out (so they become too big when you zoom in and too small when you zoom out) and, in general, you have very little control over them. I think Rhino is a good example of how dimensions should work - you can set a size that will remain constant in model space so dimensions are readable no matter where you are relative to your objects. Further, you can set a size that remains constant in your prints, again, no matter where you are zoomed into or out of. And you have all the standard dimensional options - chained, aligned, etc. I love working in SketchUp and it's companion program Layout addresses a few of the issues I mentioned but if I've got to do a project with a lot of annotations I take the model into Rhino and do the dimensions, tags, labels, etc. there.

Getting back to LWCAD - I'm not a LW user but thinking about it due to LWCAD. Are you saying that there are no dimensions in LWCAD? If you want to print out a perspective view of an object you can't put dimensions on it?

Yes, there are dimensions in LWCAD but based on what Michael showed from sketchup, I prefer the display in sketchup. But as I said, if you feel they should be different or changed, Viktor is open to suggestions for improvements to LWCAD.

arail
03-06-2014, 01:52 PM
I stand corrected. One of the problems in earlier versions of SU was the dimension size relative to the screen so dimensions weren't used much by the SU community (and part of the reason you used to hear that SU is great but you can't make Construction Documents with it). But, prompted by this thread, I dimensioned several objects and found that the size issue relative to screen is much better than it used to be. So I eat crow (ugh! that awful taste of feathers!).

Could someone post a screen shot of what dimensions look like in LWCAD so I can see what that side of the discussion is referring to? I don't expect full blown annotations like in Rhino but I'd like to be able to throw some simple numbers on a drawing for a client.

Thanks in advance ...

hrgiger
03-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Could someone post a screen shot of what dimensions look like in LWCAD so I can see what that side of the discussion is referring to? I don't expect full blown annotations like in Rhino but I'd like to be able to throw some simple numbers on a drawing for a client.

Thanks in advance ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61LHSFkibU4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUEFxIk_W7jL-maLAWU6tOVA

prometheus
03-06-2014, 04:06 PM
The problem is this as I see it, the dimension tools are in the modeler, as an aiding tool for creating the correct dimensions and keep track of it in there, but it doesnīt seem to be implemented as an aid in creating drawings and presenting line art or drawings to showcase unfortunatly.

I think I tried both native eps export and open in illustrator with no luck in getting the dimension presentation in there, only shows up as lines without arrows or numeric values. native dxf does nothing to import properly into illustrator.
lw cad dxf didnīt seem to export out dimensions either, so what gives...printing out horrible screenshots from modeler, and the dimensions tools donīt carry over to layout either.

so both how to print dimensions and the cad drawings from modeler..with aa line art is missing, and layout presentation is missing, apart from that you canīt offset the dimension tool lines as you do in sketchup...without messing with them after the tool is dropped and trying to edit them with extra dimensions added.

so lightwave to present dimensions isnīt the best way to go....even though thereīs lw cad, what you can do is export to 3ds and scale should be correct when translating to sketchup, and simply add the dimensions there with sketchp and print directly in all glory...I had a thread on that somewhere...but I think we should have to go that route if the dimension tools were improved on....
and perhaps a print tool inside of lw- cad to choose any viewport including perspective viewports etc.

if one has rhino that might work to when exporting from lightwave in to that, if the scale ends up correctly...I will have to check about
zooming in sketchup and those issues you mentioned arail

Michael

prometheus
03-06-2014, 04:34 PM
arail...you are correct about zooming in on the dimensions in sketchup etc...but I havenīt found any big issues with it, but I can see it might be troublesome in some cases.
Keep in mind that sketchup is free..for non commercial work, and as such it actually doesnīt have any angle dimensions, therés a plugin for that thou...and in sketchup pro there is Layout
wich has that angle dimensions too.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/sketchup/fRr2lOSWA18

rubyscript angle dimension tool for sketchup, add it to the google sketchup tools folder, restart sketchup, the tool is located under tools.
http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/plugin_details.php?id=110

I think I have hijacked this thread and unfortunatly distracting it from what might be some great additions from victor and lw-cad...I might do best to shut up for now:)

Michael

Oedo 808
03-06-2014, 05:41 PM
arail...you are correct about zooming in on the dimensions in sketchup etc...but I havenīt found any big issues with it

I would imagine you haven't found any big issues with it, this is exactly the way I want the grid in LightWave to behave, some older level builders for game engines worked this way, each viewport had independent dimensions, and you used hotkeys to *2 or /2 if you needed finer or more broad control.

It's funny how people like things done differently as the better way, the dynamic grid in LightWave annoys the **** outta me, I want it to be what I set it at and stay there, especially the visually representation, I'm unlikely to have zoomed in to be making broad changes with a large grid nor zoomed out to be making minute ones, if the scale doesn't suit, tap + or - and get the snapping to the granularity you want. Unless I've misunderstood what you guys mean by dimensions.

arail
03-06-2014, 06:22 PM
I think I'm probably more to blame for hijacking than you but what the hell - it all comes back to LWCAD sooner or later so I'm sure it's okay. That description of the strengths and weaknesses of LWCAD was real helpful.

It's interesting the way we're always looking for just the right blend of functions and not finding them all in one package. My work travels a route through AutoCAD LT, Rhino, SketchUp, modo and now Inventor LT. I like modo the best as far as an environment to work in but it has no CAD tools at all and the snapping tools are, well, bizarre. In some sense when you do the precision work that I do for a living, snapping is the foundation of your workflow, without it you can't work rapidly or efficiently. I'd hate to give up modo but the most recent LWCAD teaser video displayed a lot of the tools and workflow that I find lacking in modo (there, I drove the thread back to LWCAD!)

Maybe it's just the way it is - Rhino is a full package and there's every kind of dimension or annotation you could possibly wish for but, frustratingly, the print function for perspective views of the model is raster not vector, so I often hop over to SketchUp's Layout program because that offers raster, vector and 'hybrid' (hybrid gives you vector profiles and raster planes). That's a good combination but the transtion from one program to another is always a bit costly in terms of time. And neither of these programs is what you want if you're going to do a realistic, lighted scene of a bottle of wine with caustics and everything else (well, maybe Rhino is but I'm still climbing that learning curve). So, over to modo. Great, but if the client asks for a technical drawing with some dimensions I have to head back over to Rhino. And so on.

So I have great hope for LWCAD. At least it's going in the right direction.

prometheus
03-06-2014, 07:04 PM
I would imagine you haven't found any big issues with it, this is exactly the way I want the grid in LightWave to behave, some older level builders for game engines worked this way, each viewport had independent dimensions, and you used hotkeys to *2 or /2 if you needed finer or more broad control.

It's funny how people like things done differently as the better way, the dynamic grid in LightWave annoys the **** outta me, I want it to be what I set it at and stay there, especially the visually representation, I'm unlikely to have zoomed in to be making broad changes with a large grid nor zoomed out to be making minute ones, if the scale doesn't suit, tap + or - and get the snapping to the granularity you want. Unless I've misunderstood what you guys mean by dimensions.

Well..you might have misunderstood it, not sure..we are talking about dimension measurement markers and their display and printable options etc... rather than the grid behaviour in Lightwave.

Oedo 808
03-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Well..you might have misunderstood it, not sure..we are talking about dimension measurement markers and their display and printable options etc... rather than the grid behaviour in Lightwave.

Yeah I think dimensions and measurement markers are being used interchangeably, no reason why they shouldn't be, I just assumed one was different from the other and made the leap to dynamic dimensions being the scaling of grid increments rather than dynamic markers... if it's something else I'm completely lost. When you use a fixed grid it could be said to be too small or too big if not dynamic, but I personally find an automatically changing grid and related snap can be quite an annoyance when working on buildings, and miss being able to increase and decrease it via hotkeys, that annoyance probably led me to read things that way.

colkai
03-07-2014, 05:57 AM
Viktor, can you tell me, will LWCAD only be for those on LW11 and above? I am stuck on 9.6 and will not be upgrading so was wondering if i will have to stick with LWCAd 4.51

hrgiger
03-07-2014, 08:06 AM
I would probably email Viktor and ask him Colkai. I dont' know how often if at all he's checking in on the forums. He popped in earlier probably because I mentioned the thread to him and suggested he stop by. But he's pretty busy right now so you might not get an answer right away otherwise.

bobakabob
03-07-2014, 12:41 PM
20% off is a great deal, especially considering what Viktor is planning. Am very tempted to invest and see what I've been missing all this time. These precision tools plus Nurbs (combined with 3rdpowers Metamesh Boolean tech) are taking Modeler to another level.

chikega
03-08-2014, 10:56 PM
I've been eyeing LWCAD for a long time too but never really took interest initially because I don't do Archviz. But I finally bit the bullet and purchased a copy just for the general precision modeling tools. Looking forward to getting my license soon and testing it out. :)

CaptainMarlowe
03-08-2014, 11:49 PM
You won't be disappointed, I guess. LWCAD is useful for quite a lot of tasks, not only ARCHVIZ.

jeric_synergy
03-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Viktor, next time you're on the forum, please feel free to add the LWCad url to your signature. :D

chikega
03-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Merci CaptainMarlowe. Je pense que oui aussi. LWCAD has been installed and licensed ... now for the fun part :D

Snosrap
03-10-2014, 09:32 PM
LWCAD is useful for quite a lot of tasks, not only ARCHVIZ.Amen to that!

CaptainMarlowe
03-11-2014, 03:12 AM
I originally bought lwcad for modeling historical architecture. I nos use it everyday fort spaceships models... It is indeed very powerful and versatile.

ernpchan
04-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Hi everybody!

I assume the item in bold red hasn't happened yet? Wanna make sure I don't miss it.

hrgiger
04-16-2014, 09:36 PM
No, there's been nothing new announced since the sale that ended at the end of March.

ernpchan
04-16-2014, 11:33 PM
No, there's been nothing new announced since the sale that ended at the end of March.

Good to know.

spherical
04-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Hi everybody!

I'm still trying to figure out what this means. I started using and supporting LWCAD at v1.5. Is the upgrade from the current 4.51 version going to be higher than it has been previously between versions?

hrgiger
04-17-2014, 06:42 AM
It just means basically that he doesn't want people to feel like they made the wrong choice by upgrading now or then. So anybody who took advantage of the previous sale will have a lower price to upgrade to v5 but for those who are buying a new license or upgrading and didn't take advantage of the before price will pay more. So essentially its take advantage of the first sale for LWCAD 4.5 + the cost of upgrade to 5 OR pay the equivalent later. I don't know how close it will be or the exact specifics but that's the general gist of it.

Did you actually buy 1.5? It was included free with LW9. Nothing below version 2 can be upgraded. If anyone is still on version 1.5 they would have to buy a new license. http://www.wtools3d.com/buy-now.php

spherical
04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Get in early > save more. Got it.

My first LWCAD was in the Get in Early — Buy LW 8 Upgrade that had a free upgrade to LW 9, with LWCAD and Vue 5 bundled. 'Been upgrading LWCAD (and of course LW) ever since.

tayotain2
05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Any cool news? :)

tayotain2
06-27-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm off for few weeks... Hope its ready when i'm back! :D

hrgiger
06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Just talked to Viktor a few days ago. He has a few things he's finishing up and will most likely release a new video soon for LWCAD 5.

Every4thPixel
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
It would be cool if this would mean we could import cad files and render them directly without having to freeze them first in modeler.

Waves of light
06-27-2014, 09:07 AM
This is excellent news!

tayotain2
07-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Gimme! :)

jwiede
07-14-2014, 12:09 PM
It just means basically that he doesn't want people to feel like they made the wrong choice by upgrading now or then. So anybody who took advantage of the previous sale will have a lower price to upgrade to v5 but for those who are buying a new license or upgrading and didn't take advantage of the before price will pay more. So essentially its take advantage of the first sale for LWCAD 4.5 + the cost of upgrade to 5 OR pay the equivalent later. I don't know how close it will be or the exact specifics but that's the general gist of it.

Now I'm confused (sorry, didn't see this before). Are you suggesting that folks who bought into 4.x very early (iow, before the sale in question) will also pay more to upgrade than folks who bought in during the sale? I actually bought well before the sale that ended March 31st, and what you said kind of made it sound like folks who bought in during the sale will receive some kind of extra discount versus those who bought in outside (before or after) the sale. Or is it that anyone who bought in by the end of the sale (or before the March sale altogether) will get the reduced upgrade pricing?

Just trying to understand, thanks!

hrgiger
07-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Hi John. Sorry I don't know what the pricing scheme will be exactly, just trying to convey the way Viktor explained it to me. I think its probably more akin to your latter scenario where everyone who upgraded by the time the sale ended(which includes users like you and myself) will receive a lower price/discount then those who are buying a new license or upgrading from a previous version. I imagine that we will be finding out relatively soon.

spherical
07-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Even though I got an answer earlier, that I think I understood... sort of... but now not so sure, it still sounds like people upgrading to 5, that obviously couldn't take advantage of the recent sale of 4.5 (because they already own it—many having upgraded through multiple versions through the years) would have to pay a higher price. That doesn't sound right, so let's get this into more clear terms.

new license or upgrading from a previous version

= what?

"Previous Versions" = previous to 4.5 or previous to 5? If the latter, it changes everything.

What we would hope is that, if you are/were a licensed user of 4.5, whether you bought a new license or had upgraded prior to the end of the recent sale, you're in a different bracket than if you purchase/upgrade now.

hrgiger
07-14-2014, 05:16 PM
I mean previous to version 4. Upgrading from version 3 to version 4 is cheaper then upgrading from version 2 to 4. There's not one upgrade price, it varies depending on your version. And there are no upgrades from version 1.5 as that was given away free with LW9 so at that point you'd have to buy a whole new license if you wanted to get the lastest version. Until its announced, there is no upgrade to version 5 yet.

And sorry if I've caused any confusion on the issue. Probably best to wait to see what Viktor decides on pricing. All he really said on the matter was that he didn't want to have people worried about taking advantage of the upgrade sale or deciding to wait for later and was going to try and make them fair to either path. Take from that what you will.

Snosrap
07-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Nurbs in LW made by Viktor- come on people, it will be worth any upgrade price. :)

spherical
07-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Definitely worth it. No one's arguing or even suggesting that at all. Having the $$ is another matter entirely.

I mean previous to version 4. Upgrading from version 3 to version 4 is cheaper then upgrading from version 2 to 4. There's not one upgrade price, it varies depending on your version.

That clarifies it, yes! And it makes perfect sense. Thank you.

djwaterman
07-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Is the current price of $299 likely to stay about the same for this next coming version?

Waves of light
07-15-2014, 02:11 AM
Nurbs in LW made by Viktor- come on people, it will be worth any upgrade price. :)

My payment is already and waiting. And with it being Viktor, you know it's going to be a good upgrade.

tayotain2
07-22-2014, 04:34 AM
My payment is already and waiting. And with it being Viktor, you know it's going to be a good upgrade.

Im ready too! Viktor is doing amazing work!

tayotain2
08-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Any news?

hrgiger
08-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Sadly no, Viktor has been remarkably quiet lately. On the plus side, it probaably means he is pretty busy working on the version 5 release.

Waves of light
08-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Sadly no, Viktor has been remarkably quiet lately. On the plus side, it probaably means he is pretty busy working on the version 5 release.

Come on Viktor, throw us a bone!

UnCommonGrafx
08-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Don't rush him, please.

Have you noticed how many devvers for LW have products "in the wings"?
As soon as some metaphoric shoe drops, we can get those products into the light of the Stage. Or so it seems.
11.7 or 12 seems to be the question. And the answer.

Hmm...

goakes
08-23-2014, 08:34 PM
UnCommonGrafx, did notice and agree.

jeric_synergy
08-24-2014, 11:15 PM
As soon as some metaphoric shoe drops, we can get those products into the light of the Stage.
It'll be when Burning Man shuts down.

tayotain2
09-01-2014, 04:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y

Wireframex
05-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Any news about LWcad 5.0 ?

erikals
05-20-2015, 12:26 PM
doubt it... :] been a while, 1 year since i heard about v5 i think...

Wireframex
05-20-2015, 12:51 PM
doubt it... :] been a while, 1 year since i heard about v5 i think...

Is there anyone who contact him about V5 ?

jwiede
05-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Just talked to Viktor a few days ago. He has a few things he's finishing up and will most likely release a new video soon for LWCAD 5.

Any notion when Viktor plans to announce upgrade pricing for existing V4 licenses?

hrgiger
05-20-2015, 01:17 PM
lwcad 5 is a prize in the spring lw contest on Facebook so hopefully soon. If I see him on Skype later I may ask him.

Wade
05-21-2015, 10:27 AM
I think if you upgrade to 4.5 you get 5 as of like 8 months ago. $164.00

http://wtools3d.com/order.php