PDA

View Full Version : F9 render file saving problem

Ma3rk
02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
I'd like to find out if others are having this issue before I submit a report.

The problem is: when I try to save out an F9 rendered frame in LW 11.6.1, unless I specifically add the selected format extension to the file name, either nothing gets written or only the file name w/o extension gets written.

I still have separate installs of 11.5 and 11.6, separate config folders, etc. I don't recall having this issue before with them, but they have the same issue too. Last night when I tested this, just the file name would get written. This morning the original problem of nothing getting written is happening with all of them.

It doesn't matter what file format I choose, the problem persists. F10 renders are fine.

This sounds more system related than Lightwave related, but I've no idea what might be the culprit. System is Win7, 64-bit. I'm the only user with full Admin rights.

Although all three versions of Modeler, Layout, and Hub are listed in the firewall permissions, I tried a test shutting off it and my AV program yet still had the same problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

M.

ernpchan
02-24-2014, 11:44 AM
I've always had to add the file extension.

spherical
02-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I've never had to add the extension. Odd...

Ma3rk
02-24-2014, 05:54 PM
... and therein lies the dilemma I suppose.

Fore the mostpart, I've never had to add the extension but I have had the issue of the file saving w/o it in the past. Different LW version, different machine, etc. Sometimes it would "fix" itself mysteriously or and update would. Too long ago to recall the details; it started to work correctly & stayed fixed so I moved on.

I'll give this trhead a day or two and if there's no "aHa" posting, I'll get in touch with Newtek.

M.

spherical
02-25-2014, 02:57 AM
Did "Hide extensions for known file types" get inadvertently checked?

3DGFXStudios
02-25-2014, 03:35 AM
I don't have the problem here.

Ma3rk
02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Did "Hide extensions for known file types" get inadvertently checked?

Hmmm. Shouldn't have but worth checking on.

bobakabob
02-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Have all your plugins been installed? Maybe delete your configs and reinstall.

Ma3rk
02-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Have all your plugins been installed? Maybe delete your configs and reinstall.

It might get down to that but it was a fresh install into a separate folder. Besides, not sure how would that affect the other versions. There's got to be something in common though.

I did check this A.M. and extensions etc. are not hidden.

M.

Ma3rk
02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
ah HA!!!

Something clicked last night (possibly the 3rd glass of wine) so this morning I checked the install dates of Lightwave 11.6.1 and an update to my Firewall/AV suite, and I'd performed the latter a few days after the LW install. I still don't know exactly what the problem was (note past tense), whether a file got deleted or a Registry item removed, but I do now know the culprit.

I just finished a complete uninstall then reinstall of 11.6.1 and the F9 Render image save function is now working as it should.

The tip off was that ALL currently installed versions of LW were being affected. I just tested 11.5 and it still has the same issue, but so what. That made for a good test and confirmation of my theory.

The "Protection" software, in its zeal to keep the system safe performs a Registry Clean as well as a "Junk" files scan during install. It does have a restore feature, but I didn't know for several days that there was any problem. Needless to say, I'll be keeping a much tighter rein on it from now on.

Just wondering now what other surprises are in store.

M.

Ma3rk
03-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Aaaaargh!

It's doing it again. Haven't installed or updated anything, etc., to my knowledge at least.

Odd thing though, if I switch Layout options to use the VBFileRequestor instead of System, then the F9 render saves fine w/o adding the file extension. Using the System option, once again it's not writing anything rather than writing a file with name only and no extension.

Very strange and annoying.