PDA

View Full Version : Something LW related is supposed to be announced on the 25th Feb.

djwaterman
02-24-2014, 07:20 AM
As far as I know.

rcallicotte
02-24-2014, 07:42 AM
What? What is it? :P

geo_n
02-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Lightwave is now part of the Adobe family? :D

50one
02-24-2014, 08:21 AM
OMG OMG OMG!

......it's the SPACE NAVIGATOR 3.0 support !

:D

hazmat777
02-24-2014, 10:27 AM
They are switching things up and are going back to floppy disks for product installation. I figure the next time I need to do a clean install of 9.6.1 it will arrive in a cardboard box with 108 floppies in it. Too bad I don't have a drive that can read them anymore...:P

50one
02-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Seriously I hope it's something lw12 related, maybe a teaser? Modo801 is just around the corner I guess.

meatycheesyboy
02-24-2014, 11:15 AM
They are switching things up and are going back to floppy disks for product installation. I figure the next time I need to do a clean install of 9.6.1 it will arrive in a cardboard box with 108 floppies in it. Too bad I don't have a drive that can read them anymore...:P

Floppies aren't nearly hipster retro enough. I demand LW12 be delivered on punched cards!

Axis3d
02-24-2014, 12:03 PM
"Autodesk would like to welcome Lightwave to our family of 3d products" ................. sorry, just kidding.

erikals
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
most likely Substance Designer...

hazmat777
02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Floppies aren't nearly hipster retro enough. I demand LW12 be delivered on punched cards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBOcjnCY9f0 :)

saranine
02-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Not good enough!

Let's rant! [instead of the David Bowie song Let's Dance] !

I want a genuine 19th century style of software. That date. That 19th century feeling. I want:

Lightwave on a Charles Babbage difference engine.

Snosrap
02-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Probably HDRI Light Studio.

geo_n
02-24-2014, 05:45 PM
They hired the flappy bird developer?

erikals
02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
http://www.erikalstad.com/backup/LightWaveFlappy.png

Phil
02-24-2014, 06:10 PM
As far as I know.

From what source?

geo_n
02-24-2014, 06:21 PM
http://www.erikalstad.com/backup/LightWaveFlappy.png

Nintendo is going to sue you now :D

djwaterman
02-25-2014, 03:27 AM
Probably HDRI Light Studio.

Correct. Just gone live. http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/

Andy Webb
02-25-2014, 05:28 AM
There was I hoping for a DOS version of Lightwave :D

motivalex
02-25-2014, 07:10 AM
There was I hoping for a DOS version of Lightwave :D

I do want a linux version of Lightwave.

lardbros
02-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Yeah. HDRLight Studio plugin for LW... it's good (well, much better than good actually), go and get it!!! :D

m.d.
02-25-2014, 07:46 AM
anti climatic....

I love HDR light studio and would buy it right now if the price wasn't so high...

at $500 it is one of the most expensive lightwave plugins available.... more then Kray...more then octane+plugin....twice as much as Fprime...twice as much as LWCAD

It is a unique product and very powerful however

ActionBob
02-25-2014, 07:50 AM
I have bought my share of plug-ins for Lightwwave. This looks useful, but at $500.00 (U.S.), this is pretty steep for a casual user. I bought Octane and the plug-in for less. I understand the usefulness and speed at which you can set up product shots (and a good investment to a pro doing this regularly), but sheesh, an introductory price would have been nice. I understand that you are buying the complete set of plug-ins for a variety of host applications, but since I only use lightwave and octane, it would have been nice to have a plug-in option for only my app of choice.

Still nice though - anybody see a sale on this, please post.

-Adrian

arail
02-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Plug-ins seem to be getting more and more expensive. $495 for modo's Mesh Fusion. I worry that applications like LW or modo that offer good value when compared to the cost of Maya or MAX are getting dangerously close to the price of those applications once you factor in plug-ins. modo is $1500, add $500 for MF and $500 for HDRLS and you're suddenly at $2500. MAX is more but the gap is narrowing.

50one
02-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Plug-ins seem to be getting more and more expensive. $495 for modo's Mesh Fusion. I worry that applications like LW or modo that offer good value when compared to the cost of Maya or MAX are getting dangerously close to the price of those applications once you factor in plug-ins. modo is $1500, add $500 for MF and $500 for HDRLS and you're suddenly at $2500. MAX is more but the gap is narrowing.

I'm quite surprised by this, tbh I can see that we all wan't the new functionality being added to the apps while the cost being lowered ?- it doesn't make sense.
The only thing that Foundry could do is offer this as an add-on, if you need it than you will have to pay for it, if not than you still got powerful app in your arsenal.....

ActionBob
02-25-2014, 08:52 AM

I think it is a no-brainer when it comes to pro's making money with these programs. I do feel that a company has the right to charge whatever they want for their work / product. That said, it would have been nice to have seen an introductory price or perhaps (like the modo version) a dedicated, lower cost plug-in option as opposed to the bundled version where the lightwave plug-in resides. I don't see myself using those other apps.

I like to support those that support us 'wavers. I was ready to pounce on this if it were in the neighborhood of 300, but 500 for an HDRI creator / editor is bit much for me. While this plug-in makes it easy and fast to set up IBL, you can do it without it - just will take more time. I'll wait for a sale or something. :-)

jeric_synergy
02-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Like any tool, what makes sense for a pro may not make sense for a casual user.

I'd very much like plugin writers to stay solvent, and even prosper (!!!). It's up to their marketing to decide at what point their price maximizes profit.

That said, I've always found watermarks to be the most likely strategy to get me hooked: fully featured plugin with watermarks on the render for try-out purposes. Gets me hooked (damn you, Trapcode!!!) with all the features. I've always found cut-down versions to be just aggravating. YMMV.

cagey5
02-25-2014, 01:49 PM
I've always liked the premise that if you make money with a product, you pay the full market price, but if you're a hobbyist only that you're able to purchase at a much reduced price. That way you have a much better skill set to be able to start making some money, but of course you than have to stump up the full price. Which would still be an easy decision to make if you were in a position to earn money.

UnCommonGrafx
02-25-2014, 02:54 PM
This tool is a no-brainer buy for those who do this kind of work, i.e., it gets to pay for itself.

For the hobbyist, as others have said, there are ways to almost do this with many hoops.

If I had the bucks, I would buy. When I get the bucks, I will buy.

lardbros
02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
HDR Light Studio used to cost a bit more when it came out... and to be honest, for ease of use and speed of lighting using HDR's it truly is worth its weight in gold... or $299 :D

erikals
02-25-2014, 03:34 PM
a good price i'd say, even though i got other things on my list as well >

LightWave Octane Plugin
Advanced Placement Plugin
RealFlow Learning Edition
Real Smart Motion Blur
iPi MoCap
3D Scanner

not sure where to place HDR Light Studio, but it is there somewhere...

erikals
02-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Nintendo is going to sue you now :D

they have to hurry before they go bankrupt... (i hope not though... :)

spherical
02-25-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm quite surprised by this, tbh I can see that we all wan't the new functionality being added to the apps while the cost being lowered ?- it doesn't make sense.

That's a little bit of going to the other extreme, don't you think? It isn't "while the cost being lowered", that's absurd. Of course it's going to cost more. No one is quarreling that. It's price being not so steep. Every time a plugin comes out, a bunch of people who either have a big budget, really don't have to shell out anything because the company does, or don't plan on actually buying it at all, see a three-figure or four-figure price for it and start blowing a bunch of smoke about what a great deal it is. Whether they actually pony up is another story. Either way, the net affect is that the prices slowly and continually climb. No one shares their sales figures but the conjecture is that the other guy is getting all that much money, we may as well, too. Once a price is set, lowering it or raising it is difficult. The answers to the feelers sent out sets the price; a lot of it based upon unsound metrics.

The model for software is that the more copies sold, the more money is made. Per-piece cost of copies is low. Just choosing some example figures, if a plugin is priced at $500 and 300 are sold, you get $150,000. Drop the price by $100, so that more people having lesser budgets can buy-in, and conservatively speaking sell only another 200, for a total of 500 units and the inflow goes up to $200,000. Statistically speaking, there are far more buyers at the $400 level than is indicated here; it's just a minimal example.

Do I think that all plugins, no matter how complex, should be $50? No. As in all things, there are limits. The limit, here, is the total market. Go too low and you can't sell enough because the market isn't big enough. The limit at the other end is what the market will bear. Go too high and you can't sell enough because the market isn't big enough, due to buyers not being able to afford the product.

That said, there are a number of low three-figure plugins that we have purchased and are well aware of their value. We are happy to support the authors and reward them for their creativity and hard work; as long as we can afford it. It is the high three-figure and up price points that give one pause. At present, our total LightWave investment stands at $3,718. That's Autodesk altitude and it'll go up from there, no doubt, because who can resist new tech? :)

Snosrap
02-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Correct. Just gone live. http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/

Do I win a free copy! :) I've been giving the demo a test drive and this is really cool. What is so neat is that the color picker is live! Come on NT make yours live as well. :)

sadkkf
02-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Lightwave is now part of the Adobe family? :D

BITE YOUR TONGUE! That would mean a quick sell off for me. :)

This is very cool, of course, and I just wish there were a LW-specific plugin as there is with MODO. That would be a nice money saver.

sadkkf
02-26-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm also reminded of lightbitch (http://www.hdrlabs.com/lightbitch/)

A free set of lscripts to create a lighting rig from an image.

creacon
02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
I was asking myself why the new colorpicker wasn't live, and the only thing I can think of, is that the plugin needs to execute a Lightwave command to refresh the viewport, and according to the SDK this is an unsupported feature. (As it has been for as long as it exists). I use these commands all the time in my plugin and everything works fine, in my case making something live is 1 line of code.

creacon

Snosrap
02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I was asking myself why the new colorpicker wasn't live, and the only thing I can think of, is that the plugin needs to execute a Lightwave command to refresh the viewport, and according to the SDK this is an unsupported feature. (As it has been for as long as it exists). I use these commands all the time in my plugin and everything works fine, in my case making something live is 1 line of code.

creacon

I guess they've got to save "something" back for LW12. :)