PDA

View Full Version : TV that makes you think...

pinkmouse
02-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Just watched Jonathan Meade's latest series on brutalist architecture on BBC Four. Now I'm not a great fan of concrete, and I find his presenting style somewhat irritating, but non-the-less, an absolutely fascinating couple of programs on art, architecture and social and political attitudes. If you can watch it on the BBC iPlayer, I recommend you do, and if you can't, watch out for it on BBC World or your local affiliate. We need more stuff like this - TV that doesn't treat its audience as idiots, or talk down to them. Marvellous.

hazmat777
02-23-2014, 04:08 PM
The Prisoner. "Free for All" and "Hammer into Anvil".

pinkmouse
02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Hmm. The Prisoner; nice architecture, interesting premise, but let down badly by bad writing and wholesale ripping off of common 60's distopian sci-fi tropes. Now if you'd said Quatermass... :)

hazmat777
02-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Hmm. The Prisoner; nice architecture, interesting premise, but let down badly by bad writing and wholesale ripping off of common 60's distopian sci-fi tropes. Now if you'd said Quatermass... :)

Yeah there were some clunkers in The Prisoner for sure, but the two episodes I mentioned I still love after seeing them the first time back in 1990. Not familiar with Quatermass, have to give it a go when I can. :)

stiff paper
02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Just watched Jonathan Meade's latest series...
Yes. Enjoyed that. (BBC4 is now the only television channel that I regularly watch. BBC2 gets an honorable mention. Je suis un snob malheureuse.)

I can't help but wish that he'd pointed out more strongly that a lot of the Concretely Monstrous architecture that's most loathed by Right Thinking People Everywhere ( (c) The Daily Mail) was ugly third rate work by third rate architects copying things that they neither understood nor had any intuitive grasp of, built down to a price, commissioned by venal, dishonest, graft sucking, parasitical local council members. I think that might have made things make more sense for more people. Good stuff, good. Bad stuff, bad.

But, then, yeah. Sturgeon's Law, I suppose. Ninety percent of everything. Including concretal erections.

I thought Meades's series on France was excellent, too. Also funnier than this, though his humour is sly and not always immediately apparent.