PDA

View Full Version : 3Play 4800 - Publishing/Exporting clips

ImageNZ
02-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Hoping someone could clarify an issue I'm having when publishing clips (using the filecopy option):

Clips are marked using Set In/Out and added to the publish queue with filecopy as destination.

What I'm getting is a clip of the correct duration - but starting from the very beginning of the record, instead of the marked in point - the clips are also 420 (instead of 422) and 2 channels of audio (instead of 4).

Am I missing a step somewhere? Will double-check the manual again!

The same thing happens when exporting from the import/export media window when starting a session.

If a clip is added to the playlist and then rendered back to the clip list, the vision is correct (but only 2 channels of audio). When its published it shows as a 422 file (using ffprobe.exe to check the file).

The session is set up as a 4 channel redundant mode, 1080 50i PAL.

Thanks,

Mark

ImageNZ
02-23-2014, 12:04 PM
I should add:

After adding clips to the publish queue and then viewing the queue, the thumbnail displayed for each clip to be published is the correct first frame - but the result is a file that starts from when the record first began.

Is my workflow correct? Is no-one else having this issue? Is there something wrong with my 3Play system?

Maybe someone could confirm:

- It should be possible to export from the clip list parts of the recording as marked by the SET IN/OUT

- When using the SAME AS SOURCE/FILECOPY option, the resulting file should be the same as the native recording format of the 3Play - XDCam HD 422 100mbs

- 4 channels of audio can be exported (same as on the original recording)

All I'm trying to do is export the individual iso's of each camera in the original format for post production - I'm not sure why this is proving to be so difficult!

Any response appreciated.

Thanks

VideoEng QA
02-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Hi ImageNZ,

Hopefully this answers most if not all of your questions.

3Play 4800 records as .mov 420, TriCaster by default records as .mov 422 (with options to also record 420 along with h264, avi...etc.).

In the current 4800 build, if you create a 10sec long clip in the cliplist (via recording and setting in/out point) and send that to the publish media queue and export it, It will improperly send the first 10sec you recorded instead of the expected in-out that was set. There is a workaround, however inconvenient as most workarounds are. If you take the recorded clip you want to publish, place it into an empty playlist tab and click "Export To Clip List" then take the newly created clip and publish it via filecopy you will get the expected section and duration. This is unfortunately a known issue and will be fixed in the next 4800 build released.

Currently in 4800 if you export a clip that has 4 channel audio, the created clip will have 2 streams of 2 channel audio (still 4 channels of audio). We realized this might not be ideal for most applications, so this will also be changed in the next version of 4800 released. It will now export as 1 stream with 4 channels of audio.

I have a 3Play 4800 version with all the changes and fixes mentioned above that is just about ready to release to BETA, I will send you a message and post to this thread when we have that BETA ready if you or anyone else is interested in testing it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

ImageNZ
02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the response. A couple of questions:

Will the new build for the 4800 enable 422 recording? 422 is really what is required for broadcast applications. That's what I would have expected if the 'Native' codec is 'XDCam HD 100mbs' as stated in the product literature - ie its not XDCam EX.

The workaround is not so convenient - I've got 80 clips that would need to be individually put in a cliplist and rendered back to the timeline! But at least it is an option. Is the timecode originally recorded preserved in the clip when it goes through this process?

Does the earlier original build of the 4800 software have these same issues?

I'd certainly be keen to test the Beta version when available.

Thanks,

Mark

VideoEng QA
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
The next build of 4800 will still be recording in .mov 420. If you would like to submit a feature request to have an option in 3Play to record as 422 you can do so here (https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit). We are always wanting to hear from the user on what you would like to see, change or improve.

Specific to "Export to Clip List", clips rendered this way will have timecode reset and start from 0.

Unfortunately the original 4800 build will still encounter those publish file copy in/out point issues. As I mentioned earlier, we are very close to having a build ready for BETA that will correct the in/out point publish issues. That build will allow you to export the desired section of the recording (in to out point) straight from the clip list using the publish queue, and the clip will retain timecode. I apologize for any inconveniences.

Again I will update the thread when we have that build ready for BETA.

Regards,

VideoEng QA
03-03-2014, 02:24 PM
We have a new Beta build of 3Play 4800 with fixes made to Publish Media correcting the issue mentioned above. If anyone is interested in getting this beta please email us here ([email protected]) mentioning this thread and that you are interested in testing the latest 3Play 4800 beta.

Thank you,