PDA

View Full Version : Big city, real size or scale?

Sebasvideo
02-22-2014, 09:03 AM
I want to import the city from the Metropolitan pack from Video Copilot, and the OBJs are real size, meaning a street square is roughly real size, meaning it's about 120m per side. I always herd that in 3D real size doesn't matter, but then I read other people say that it does. These are 6 different squares that will be replicated to make a big city. Which way should I go? Should I scale on import to like 10% or leave it at the regular size?

Thanks,

Sebastian

sandman300
02-22-2014, 10:58 AM
It all depends on what your doing. For the most part I like to work in full scale; much less to think about when adding other object to a scene, or moving things around. But sometimes especially if your working with really small things, it work better if you work at a higher scale (bigger). I think Modeler has difficulty working with large objects like that (something to do with the distance from the origin), but as I understand it, you can temporarily scale down the model to edit it and then scale it back up when done. Now your only working with a city. I'd keep it at full scale. But I would probably chop up the model into smaller chunks, even if only separating into different layers. That way it will be easier to remove things that either can't be seen or are in the way for a particular shot.

50one
02-22-2014, 11:11 AM
There was a thread in here regarding the obj pack from video copilot, lightwave got some problems when importing those files, I think normals will be screwed.
When it comes to big cities I like this LW video - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PodUqc4B5Fc

Ma3rk
02-22-2014, 11:35 AM
I didn't have any problem importing. There aren't any mtl files to use with the obj's, but the UV maps import intact and you can use the jpg textures. Not sure where to apply the ambient occlusion layer though.

As for scale, probably depends on what you plan to do such as if your scene has atmospheric aspects or your planning to do something like Fracture.

spherical
02-22-2014, 03:23 PM
I always work real-world. Keeping some arbitrary fudge factor in mind is a waste of brain power better used on other things. If you use materials that have any relationship to thickness/depth, etc., then you're screwing around trying to figure out what those settings may be in relation to the artificial scale. There are times, hopefully this won't be necessary soon, where scaling way up is necessary, like collision dynamics, but those are rare.

prometheus
02-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I want to import the city from the Metropolitan pack from Video Copilot, and the OBJs are real size, meaning a street square is roughly real size, meaning it's about 120m per side. I always herd that in 3D real size doesn't matter, but then I read other people say that it does. These are 6 different squares that will be replicated to make a big city. Which way should I go? Should I scale on import to like 10% or leave it at the regular size?

Thanks,

Sebastian

well I think that was bad advice, that in 3d real size doesn´t matter, you have to keep in mind some volumetrics, Light´s etc might look differently in scales that aren´t real scale.

Phil
02-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Note also that LW's memory handling can be problematic. Using the entire Metropolitan set in a single scene may well push your memory footprint to unmanageable levels. When using LW, I've come to rely on db&w's infiniMap to use tiled EXRs and save that memory for more useful tasks.

jeric_synergy
02-22-2014, 05:21 PM
I always work real-world. Keeping some arbitrary fudge factor in mind is a waste of brain power better used on other things.
Second that: in dealing with FFX I had to scale everything by 10X, and even with such a simple scale value it was a huge PITA to keep track of.

Sebasvideo
02-22-2014, 10:34 PM
There was a thread in here regarding the obj pack from video copilot, lightwave got some problems when importing those files, I think normals will be screwed.
When it comes to big cities I like this LW video - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PodUqc4B5Fc

Well, in essence you have several options for file formats, c4d, fbx, max and obj in both triangles and quads. Of those Lightwave can only do FBX and OBJ, but the problem with the FBX ones is that for some reason the reflection map doesn't load, in fact not only when loading the first time, but every time the project loads, even after it's been saved as an lws, and the reflection maps have been added to the project and assigned (the UV is there, but the reflection files have to be imported into the image editor and then assigned), when trying to open the project again there are still like twenty error messages that I don't know how to get rid of.

If I import the OBJs they load fine, but they also don't have any reflection maps, but even worse, in surface editor it doesn't show any surface as having a reflection, so you have to guess what else other than the buildings have them. It's a huge PITA to load all the missing reflection textures, and I'm only planning on doing it on the six street layouts with buildings, and the replicating them at different angles to make a bigger city.

I tried importing them at real size and then at 10%, and it seems to me that Layout has less trouble handling the smaller version.