PDA

View Full Version : The new Elite - 30 years later

Rayek
02-22-2014, 02:29 AM
I really REALLY hope this will live up to its expectations. Really, I do. The capital ship battle in-game video looks quite amazing.
Elite Dangerous is coming out later this year. Something to look forward to! I remember playing this on my Amstrad 664 so long ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI#t=131

JohnMarchant
02-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Hope its better than frontier, will be watching with interest, had the original on the Amiga.

The Dommo
02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Looks fun!
Hope it retains the feel of the older games.

I personally had a lot of fun with Elite Frontier.

My brother was working at Frontier while they were starting to get the engine for Elite 4 sorted - way before the Kickstarter stuff.

ActionBob
02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Looks fun!
Hope it retains the feel of the older games.

I personally had a lot of fun with Elite Frontier.

My brother was working at Frontier while they were starting to get the engine for Elite 4 sorted - way before the Kick starter stuff.

Looking forward to this and Star Citizen as well. Both look good - with edge toward Star Citizen. However, if Star Citizen doesn't have a proper cockpit, I am not as interested. If they tout it as a Space combat simulator, then some hybrid of Newtonian physics is a must for me - to take advantage of my flight system, and hopefully by then, Oculus Rift.

Rayek
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
I read an interview with David Braben in Edge magazine - seems they focused first the flight and combat mechanics to get the feel right:

“Why didn’t we do trading first? Because [combat] is a big, big risk,” chief creative officer Jonny Watts explains. “We didn’t want to underestimate how difficult it would be to get the feel right but still have all this longevity in. We’re really pleased at the way the alpha backers have responded, [saying] that it feels right. That was down to iteration upon iteration upon iteration. That’s why we did [combat and flight] first, because it was a bigger risk than people might think. You can’t trivialise
how something feels to play.”

Frontier’s certainly getting something right: the current build is enticing members of the team in early to play it before work. “The most important thing we’ve done, and the most difficult thing, is to make the moment-to-moment combat fun,” says CEO David Braben.

Sounds good to me. I remember reading somewhere that the members of dev teams like Doom and Quake came in early as well to play bouts of their own game. Finger's crossed!

ActionBob
02-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Honestly, I am happy to see a foray into the Space combat / trade / exploration genre again. I tire of so many FPS and although I love them, rts. Time to get the PC arena back to the depth and breadth it used to have. I hope they make it a little challenging and not too arcade-y....

Will definitely be watching these. Played MANY hours of Elite and Frontier back in the day.

-Adrian