PDA

View Full Version : More TC audio issues? Can you suggest a fix?

Ben Freedman
02-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Howdy...

If you recall, months ago I had a strange buzz being recorded in my audio, but not coming through the headphones...

It seems like I'm having a similar problem... Check out this clip:

https://vimeo.com/87226221

You'll here, especially in the quiet parts, a very high-pitched squeal. You might need headphones to hear it, but it's definitely there...

There's nothing on the mixer output (from the mics) and nothing on the TC headphones, but this is coming through loud and clear on my HD-SDI output and on the Streamed Video....

So, it'd definitely originating in the TC... Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
PrimeImage Media
480-399-0000 - direct
480-240-9270 - office
866-549-6051 - fax
[email protected]
www.PrimeImageMedia.com

Buddy.Hannon
02-21-2014, 07:08 AM
I have to say that it sounds like a little bit of feedback for the wireless mic. I know that you're saying that you're not hearing it in the headphones. It's just my two cents, but it sounds like feedback. Does this happen all of the time? If not, what's different in the audio setup? Does it happen if you have a wired mic going into the mixer? Could gain be set a touch too high?

Ben Freedman
02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Howdy...

There are no loudspeakers in the room, so it can't be feedback.

There's absolutely nothing in either the mic-mixer, or the TC headphones.

This just started happened today. Didn't do it yesterday. Same audio setup.

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
PrimeImage Media
480-399-0000 - direct
480-240-9270 - office
866-549-6051 - fax
[email protected]
www.PrimeImageMedia.com

Buddy.Hannon
02-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Interesting.

Ben Freedman
02-21-2014, 09:22 AM
We're live right now. Still experiencing the issue...

http://techfieldday.com/event/nfd7/

Best,

Ben

Ben Freedman
02-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Definitely coming from the TC, as there's nothing in the audio mixer headphone feed, and nothing coming through the TC headphones.... But you can clearly heard the squeal in the SDI output of the TC, and the live stream...

http://techfieldday.com/event/nfd7/

Ben Freedman
02-21-2014, 09:52 AM
One more piece of news...

The noise is almost exactly at 8KHz. I can use a notch filer in Premiere and -20db at 8KHz knocks it right out...

Any help would be appreciated...

Best,

Ben

bbailey
03-04-2014, 10:02 AM
If this is still a problem, you should consider removing all input audio sources and, one at a time, plug each source back in to see if any particular feed might be the issue. Also, with every source removed, is the effect still present? Sometimes an effect like this can be illusive and can be generated by some method you might not consider as possible. If the TC is generating the effect, chances are you'll hear it even with no sources connected. You might even consider disconnecting the audio outputs and just monitor from phones. I had a situation where I assumed all my 1/4" female to XLR male cables I used with my lavs which interfaced into my audio mixer and sometimes directly into my Sony EX3 were wired the same. Occasionally I'd have a problem when shooting with the lavs connected using one of these cables directly to my EX3. I noticed that channel one would be clean but channel two had a hiss which i didn't notice when on location. When I got back to the studio and was editing I could hear the hiss very plainly. I grabbed the two lavs and the two cables and plugged them into my console in the studio. Neither one had a hiss. So I went to my EX3 and plugged in the lavs connected with the two cables. Sure enough, one of the channels was hissing. I switched the inputs and the hiss followed the cable. When I looked at the XLR wiring on both cables I discovered that one cable was wired with pin two as the hot side with gnd at pin one. The other cable's XLR was wired with pin three as hot with pin one as gnd. I wired the XLR with pin two as hot on that cable. Now both cables had pin one as gnd, pin two as hot and pin three open. I plugged the cables with the lavs into my EX3 and walla, no hiss on either channel. I've had those cables for a long time and never had considered checking the wiring on the XLRs. I look at the rest of my 1/4" to XLR cables and found one more that was wired with pin three as hot. I re-wired that one too. Since these cables worked fine with my portable mixers and studio console, I had made an assumption that the cables were fine. Just goes to show you, check everything. Don't assume. You may simply have a cable issue.

Ben Freedman
03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
We recently had a complete crash of the system, and we had to reinstall from scratch. I'll be shooting the same job this week, so we'll see if the noise is still present. Don't think it's a cable. Only 1 audio source (mixer) attached...

Best,

Ben

joseburgos
03-08-2014, 06:12 PM
What model TriCaster?
Have you tried using solo on TriCaster inputs to narrow down which input is giving you the problem?

Ben Freedman
03-09-2014, 08:37 AM
The solo button doesn't help, as the sound is not heard through the headphones. Only using 1 input on the tricaster...

Ben

joseburgos
03-09-2014, 08:39 AM
How about solo on your mixer? Sorry I am out of ideas.

Ben Freedman
03-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Mixer feed is clean...

After a complete crash of the system, and a restore to the original software, the issue seems to have disappeared...

I must say, while I love the new software, there seems to be all sorts of bugs and stability issues with it. Now my headphone volume control has stopped working...!!!!

Ben

SBowie
03-09-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure what that is but, as a workaround and diagnostic test, you might try rolling off the highest freq. band in the equalizers. If you can eliminate the problem at input, that might indicate an upstream issue. If it can't be eliminated (or at least reduced) at input, but it can at output, that would tend towards an internal problem.

Ben Freedman
03-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Indeed. If I can reproduce the issue, I'll try that. Since the catastrophic crash, I haven't had the issue...

Can you fix my headphone volume control?

Ben

SBowie
03-09-2014, 09:31 AM
I think I've seen a case on this recently, though looking just quickly now, I didn't find it. I had a busy week, but thought I'd seen QA respond to a thread on the topic here. You might find something about it if you do a quick search. I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet, so am even dopier than usual, but I thought it was looking like a 410 only issue.