PDA

View Full Version : Animation tutorial topics

Ryan Roye
02-20-2014, 07:14 AM
I have some ideas concerning free and commercial tutorial content for Lightwave and I wanted to post this poll to help get a feel for the level of interest on various topics. Basically, the topics of highest interest will be more likely to get the highest priority. So, the question could be seen as "what would you like me to work on first?".

Also, if there is a subject regarding animation that I did not post in the poll, please feel free to mention it.

SUBJECT DETAILS:

- Digital Puppeteering with Virtual Studio and Nevron: use devices found in your home to speed up your animation workflow. Examples: using game controllers to drive actions, Nevron+Kinect to use your face movement to control things, and other workflows involving input devices with buttons, sensors, etc using *VISUAL* workflows with live, real-time feedback. Watching this tutorial would leave the user with the knowledge required to take full advantage of virtual studio.

- Advanced Bullet Dynamics: Most people can figure out how to drop a bunch of boxes on a flat plane, but what about some actual workflows that can be used in a production? How to simulate clothing? Gotchas? Optimization tips? Controlling the result visually? Alternative usages (IE: using dynamics to "create" a model).

- Common scenarios for character animators: How can one make a character get on a bike and drive it? Step an on escalator and have the revolving steps move the character? Swing on a vine? Pick up and drop things (showing multiple ways to do it)? Walk on uneven terrain without hand-keying it all? Ideally, this tutorial would be "Rig-neutral" and apply to whatever rigging setup the user prefers.

geo_n
02-20-2014, 07:26 AM
- Common scenarios for character animators: How can one make a character get on a bike and drive it? Step an on escalator and have the revolving steps move the character? Swing on a vine? Pick up and drop things (showing multiple ways to do it)? Walk on uneven terrain without hand-keying it all? Ideally, this tutorial would be "Rig-neutral" and apply to whatever rigging setup the user prefers.

Voted this one since its the most advance topic and really tough for me to do in lightwave.

Slartibartfast
02-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Also voted for that one. I think there is a gap to fill with tutorials between:
- basic animation steps. (Do this and do that to make a leg bend.)
- advanced techniques to do amazing and way over my head animations, as well as rigging a character.

I'd like to see a simple tutorial covering the whole process. Start with a generalized character. Put it in layout and show a simple rigging, or even load up a rigged character and show how to proceed to make him walk a bit, then sit down on a chair for instance. All the way to hitting F10. I bought your IKB-tuts, and those are very informative, but as a total beginner in CA I'd like some more basic step by step tuts.

Thanks / Slartibartfast

bobakabob
02-20-2014, 01:06 PM
All three! You have a real talent for clarity, the how and the why, so looking forward to seeing the results.

Davewriter
02-20-2014, 08:28 PM
I would also vote for the "Common scenarios for character animators" option.
Any help I can get :)

restif
02-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Common Scenarios for Character animators. Once I get my characters rigged I want to start seeing how animation works in Lightwave. I have several scenarios where one character picks up another as well at other objects. This would be very helpful!

Ryan Roye
02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
The Common scenarios topic, at least from my perspective, will be targeted towards beginner-to-intermediate audiences (IE: basic constraints and how to use them = beginner, simple nodes and raycasting = intermediate, more complex setups involving multiple types of constraints = advanced).

I'm still waiting for a larger pool of poll responses of course. If anyone who voted on the other topics would like to chime in and explain which part of Bullet, or Virtual Studio would interest them most it will be helpful even if common scenarios winds up being the first topic I work on.

As for more basic CA tutorials, it might be outside of my teaching niche of delivering material on focused topics but I'll consider broader-scoped stuff in the future. Even the IKBooster tutorial series was particularly focused on a specific topic (IKBooster tools/workflows) and was more conceptual/informational than "project-based". I do feel the common scenarios video will allow me to cover a lot of the stuff that I couldn't include in the IKB series... I try very hard to make sure people get their money's worth, but I do have to consider the amount of time it takes to prepare content and material to go with it. The IKB videos alltogether required about 500 hours to make, not including the time it took me to learn and refine those workflows in the first place.

Always remember, however, that animation and the tools used to create animation are two separate things that must be practiced and learned which is why I highly recommend the tutorials provided by Tom Roth (http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/02/liberty3d-welcomes-legendary-character-animator-tom-roth/) (which are grossly underpriced in my opinion). He does use Lightwave in his tutorials, but they are much less focused on the tools/software and more on the actual elements of animation required to get believable movement. He also covers walk/run cycles and some other concepts that have killer synergy with the IKBooster videos.