PDA

View Full Version : Is there an option in Lightwave for "static mesh"?

Sebasvideo
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
In Modo there is an option to turn any object into static, meaning that it can't be edited anymore. It still can be moved and materials applied to it, but the mesh itself, the vertices, edges and polygons can't be moved or edited in any way. This makes it easier to work with meshes that have a very high polygon count, where otherwise it would be difficult or almost impossible.

I searched the Lightwave manuals for static but it doesn't make any reference to this specific feature, even if it shows the word static but applied to other things. But I thought that perhaps in Lightwave it has another name. Does this exist in Lightwave?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a sequence of a fluid simulation that I imported from Blender and each of them has a really high polygon count, and while Layout can deal with it, it still takes a few seconds to move to a different frame. In Modo, if I don't set the sequence to static on import, I can't work with it, it takes forever to do anything and it locks up constantly. However, if I import the sequence as static mesh, I can scroll through the timeline in real time without a problem.

Lewis
02-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Nope, no such thing in LW sadly :(.

jeric_synergy
02-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Feature request.

Snosrap
02-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Nope, no such thing in LW sadly :(. Best you could do is change the item to bounding box or points - or something of that nature. Also turn down your bounding box threshold.

Sebasvideo
02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Best you could do is change the item to bounding box or points - or something of that nature. Also turn down your bounding box threshold.

Actually, it doesn't matter what viewing mode it's in. Whether I set it bounding box or texture solid, when I place the cursor at a different frame it stalls for a few seconds while at the bottom it says "Freezing object 4/8". I think subpatch is set to 3, perhaps it would go faster if I set it lower, but that's fine, I'd rather go for quality even if I have to wait a few seconds.

This static mesh capability, it's not even available with some plugin?

shrox
02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Satanic mesh maybe?

RebelHill
02-19-2014, 11:47 AM
There's no static mesh in modeler, but in layout there's nothing but static mesh, as mesh edit operations cant be performed there.

Sebasvideo
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
There's no static mesh in modeler, but in layout there's nothing but static mesh, as mesh edit operations cant be performed there.

True. I think the problem here is that the subpatching process itself is very heavy because of the excessive number of polygons, and subpatching it takes that to a much higher level. I'm not sure why does it need to freeze them though. Is there something like a "freeze cache"? That way it can take several minutes caching the freezing in all the frames and then I can scroll without problems. It's not a terrible deal though, I can still make a preview and play it at real time once it's done.

- - - Updated - - -

Satanic mesh maybe?

The only thing satanic here is your boing boing kitty :)

UnCommonGrafx
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Freeze is what you are looking for.
ctrl-d

Sebasvideo
02-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Freeze is what you are looking for.
ctrl-d

Could be, although it's not the same as static mesh. However, the problem here is that it's a sequence of 480 lwo files. Is there a batch script to freeze several files at once?

allabulle
02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
You might try opening the General Options panel ("o") in Modeler and set the desired Subpatch divisions or Catmull-Clark subdivision level desired. Then freeze the object geometry ("Ctrl+D) and send the object to Layout. In Layout there won't be any subdivision to freeze anymore.

It's probably too obvious and already known but just in case here you go all the same.

Still I'd like to know what 'freeze cache' for an object is actually doing in other application(s), besides what's its effect.

Sebasvideo
02-19-2014, 04:41 PM
You might try opening the General Options panel ("o") in Modeler and set the desired Subpatch divisions or Catmull-Clark subdivision level desired. Then freeze the object geometry ("Ctrl+D) and send the object to Layout. In Layout there won't be any subdivision to freeze anymore.

Yes, but like I said, I would have to open 480 lwo files, freeze and save, which is not going to happen, unless there is a batch tool for it. Is there?

UnCommonGrafx
02-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Go over to the python thread and ask.
:)

Surrealist.
02-19-2014, 05:40 PM
I think subpatch is set to 3,

You can adjust the display subpatch level to 0 and still have quality for rendering.

jeric_synergy
02-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Does LW's architecture even have, uhhhh, the infrastructure to take advantage of such a feature?

What's the timing like if the OP Freezes the object at an appropriate subd-level and loads that instead? There is, IIRC, a "proxy-object" plugin.

But a subd object is by definition not "static", since its level of subd can be changed.

geo_n
02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
You can also try to set subd order to last to add to previous tips.
Or just add a single mesh proxy then do an item object replace later when you're rendering.

RebelHill
02-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Like surralist said... Just set display subD to 0, and render to whatever level you find necessary.