PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster 300 and Apple TV issue

WeatherVision
02-19-2014, 09:45 AM
I am currently using a Tricaster 300 and want to hook up an apple tv so we can use our iPad to show various things on air. I have an Apple TV 3 and connected to a hdmi to sli converter. When I boot up the Apple TV i get the boot screen (Apple Logo) to pop up and then the input goes dark.

Anyone have an suggestions for how to fix this or if there is a bigger issue that will not allow this set up to work?

Thanks!

JPulera
02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
On a camcorder having HDMI output, the output format is usually set in a menu, and often defaults to a standard "1080i" regardless of what display might be connected. With other devices, the HDMI output tries to communicate with the display device to automatically determine which video format they can agree on. Going into the converter, this is not happening and my guess is that is the issue with AppleTV. It's not getting any feedback from the converter box as to what format it wants. Not owning an AppleTV unit, I don't know if there's a way to "lock" the HDMI video out to a certain frame size/frame rate or not. Are there any DIP switches on the SDI converter to tell it what format to use, or is that automatic?

Do a search for "HDMI EDID" and you will find little boxes with HDMI pass-thru which will emulate a display to send the proper signal back to the HDMI source, this might be what you need to "fool" AppleTV into thinking it is feeding a display.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

WeatherVision
02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
The Apple TV does allow me to lock into 720p since the Apple TV can only do progressive and the 300 can only do 1080i. So did set that correctly on the Apple TV and Tricaster to try to get those to work. I dont think our SDI converter has any dip switches but that is something to check. I have read other people saying that their AppleTV works with this setup but they do not say which Tricaster they are using.

WeatherVision
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
That solved my issue! I forgot we had an HDMI splitter here in the studio so I rerouted my setup through that and it worked. The problem was that the Apple TV was unable to see the Tricaster as a display so it would not output. It worked using this configuration Apple TV >>>>>> HDMI Switcher input (EDID compliant) >>>>> HDMI switcher Output >>>>> HDMI to SDI Converter >>>>> Tricaster.

Thanks for the help!

JPulera
02-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Well now I've learned something as well, wouldn't have thought of the splitter idea so you ARE connecting a display. Genius.

Thanks

Jeff