PDA

View Full Version : edison bulb

pdrake
02-18-2014, 12:32 PM
hello, anyone have any advice on how to achieve the glowing filaments of an edison bulb?

like the image. thanks

MarcusM
02-18-2014, 12:41 PM
You want something different than "Enagle glow" in Layout?

pdrake
02-18-2014, 12:56 PM
glow doesn't work behind the glass bulb.

jeric_synergy
02-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Shoot.... this question gets answered JUST infrequently enough that I forget the answer....

One suggestion that will come up: multiple passes, w&w/o glass.

Ma3rk
02-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Shoot.... this question gets answered JUST infrequently enough that I forget the answer....

One suggestion that will come up: multiple passes, w&w/o glass.

Ya, I miss Pontari's SuperGlow2. It could do that and ya didn't have to even think about it. Today's work-arounds so far have been pretty convoluted w/o having resort to multiple passes and compositing tasks.

M.

pdrake
02-18-2014, 01:48 PM
it's kind of ridiculous that at this level you can't glow behind transparent objects. i faked it with luminosity and lens flare on linear lights. it will be good enough for the client. they also have a picture of the actual fixture.

jeric_synergy
02-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Nice, and thanks for the picture.

Yeah, I SUPER-miss "SuperGlow". It'd be nice if LW3dG would fold the SG feature list into LW: it basically made "Glow" do all the stuff that one would EXPECT it to do.

One of my all-time favorite plugins.

JoePoe
02-18-2014, 08:08 PM
How about Corona, ... or Bloom?

Yeah, a bit of a hit at render time, but might, depending on the situation, beat separate passes and composite.

Edit: to post example.... (quick and dirty)

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=120259&d=1392783041

JoePoe
02-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Another fairly painless way would be to copy your filament geometry > puff it up a bit (normal move) > give it a good luminosity and a transparency based on incidence angle. :)
You could use that all by itself if the filaments are real thin, or as an extra layer on top of the original geometry.

I find that also using the Edge Transparency shader gives it a much softer transition to nothing.

edit: I know you've got your solution for now.... just throwin' stuff out there. :beerchug:

jeric_synergy
02-19-2014, 07:01 PM
JoePoe, what's the story on that moiré backdrop?

(I can't believe I remembered the alt code for é .)

JoePoe
02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
That's what you want to know about? Not my super terrific Edison Bulb?? :ohmy:

I wouldn't call it moiré (I had to copy and paste your é ;D) per sé :D....

The story is....

Once upon a time there was a shader named Lyapunov.
This extravagant little shader hailed from the magic land of Dpont, and was just one member of a modestly sized family called the Renderman Collection.
Based on Sylvio Sell's Blender shader, Lyapunov came by his expressive nature honestly. He was, legend has it, named after the Russian mathematician/mechanician/physicist Aleksandr Mikhailovich Lyapunov whose fractal patterns (Lyapunov fractal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyapunov_fractal)) astounded and amazed all who gazed upon them.

Despite being a little hard to handle at times, Lyapunov lived and played well with others in The Kingdom of Lightwave.
He spent his days frolicking in the node editor and contributed to many eye catching textures AND displacements!!

One day he met a sexy little shader that looked just like him (Don't look at me, I didn't bring this up.... but it's important to the story).
It was love at first sight :heart:. And as it is often the case, these two patterns got .... um... over"layed" :o.
From this beautiful union came an unusual little offspring which they named .... Moiré..... strange little fellow.

....Of course this union only lasted for one render, at which point they both were off overlaying with other shaders.
But even today, they still meet up from time to time.... shaders with benefits!

The End ..... Or is it just the beginning?! :hey:

jeric_synergy
02-20-2014, 11:53 AM
That was a beautiful story. ;)

bazsa73
02-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Indeed, that was a sweet bedtime story for LW geeks. Thanks Joe.