PDA

View Full Version : explosions before hypervoxels??

SamuraiSlayer
11-18-2003, 11:38 PM
i was just wondering what was used for explosions before hypervoxels was around... or was it ever NOT around?

i was watching "Seven Days" on SpikeTV and I know they always used lightwave for all of their special fx, but that was back in 1997... so what did they use then

and what is used on other 3d programs, like 3ds max, what do they use for explosions...?

jcool
11-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by SamuraiSlayer
i was just wondering what was used for explosions before hypervoxels was around... or was it ever NOT around?

i was watching "Seven Days" on SpikeTV and I know they always used lightwave for all of their special fx, but that was back in 1997... so what did they use then

and what is used on other 3d programs, like 3ds max, what do they use for explosions...?

Probably composited in real explosion footage.. That's how it's still usually done now, I believe.

EyesClosed
11-19-2003, 02:02 AM

Well, Maya, for example, is more robust. It offers hardware, software, and voxel rendering. XSI has hardware and software rendering, I think. Not sure if it does voxels.

SplineGod
11-19-2003, 02:17 AM
A lot of shots like that were comped directly in LW. Usually you had footage (pyro CD) of explosions you mapped onto polys and placed them where you needed them.
Its also pretty easy to use procedurals on polys to get a similar effect and will render faster then volumetrics in many cases. :)

Edbittner
11-19-2003, 03:28 AM
Yeah, what Larry said. Also Davd Jerrard had a really cool and effective way to do fireballs using spheres and different layers of fractal noise colors. Hell, I still use that one sometimes.
Ed
With a shockwave and some particles.

cresshead
11-19-2003, 09:17 AM
sometimes you have to think "outside the box"...
and you'll be surprised what you can achieve with a little lateral thinking....just because hypervoxels are ace [and they are!] doen't mean you have to use the all the time!

steve g

Valter
11-20-2003, 09:32 AM
I don't agree that is so easy to do a explosion animation. But I agree when say that easy to make a static frame of a explosion.

I'm fight now to make a good and reallistic space explosion animation. I got problems with fire motion in the moment of explosion. I can't find a good motion of HV textures for my explosion. But go ahead.

cheers

Edbittner
11-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Nobody said it was easy. The thread title was "explosions before hypervoxels". Mearly an alternative method was suggested.
Larry said it was easy to texture polys with procedurals. The still frame I posted was from an animation I did in LW 5.6. Besides NOBODY really knows what an explosion looks like in space. The debate continues.
Ed

SamuraiSlayer
11-21-2003, 02:57 PM
this page: http://www.snopes.com/photos/shuttle2.asp
shows pictures of a shuttle explosion from the movie "armageddon"...

i have yet to find a web page with a picture of an actual explosion in space...

i don't know if a explosion in space is possible, i may sound ignorant in the following paragraph...

MY THEORY
-------------------------------
Because there is no oxygen in space, the shuttle would have to have an oxygen supply, and the shuttle would be pressurized. Oxygen is also very flammable, and when you think of 'air' you might think of oxygen, but in fact, only about 8% of the air is oxygen, the rest is other kinds of gasses, so...

you shoot something at a shuttle, it punctures the shuttle, and causes fire inside of the shuttle. The fire would try to escape, and find more oxygen to burn up, but... THERE'S NO MORE!! And now all of the pressure of the shuttle was released, so it would SMASH!! The fire/explosion would quickly disappear, after burning up all of the oxygen, a few pieces of stuff would be left floating

ok nevermind that

if you blow up a submarine in the ocean, what does it do? It explodes, then it kinda implodes/collapses

there ya go, an explosion in space, about the same as in the water. after all, nasa uses water to train their astronauts

...i dunno:confused:

that :rolleyes: is hard to explain

Rei
11-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by SamuraiSlayer

if you blow up a submarine in the ocean, what does it do? It explodes, then it kinda implodes/collapses

Ok, it expoldes from the torpedo, then implodes as the structure fails, them explodes properly as the amunition + torpedo goes off etc.

Watch Crimson tide.

On space explosions -

We know what a supanovae looks like, and thats a big explision in space!