PDA

View Full Version : absolutely bizrre - it's not 1965 anymore

saranine
02-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Why do stores still think that it's 1965?

Take this Australian 3D store - digistor. They sell lightwave. But only if you take the time and the effort to ask the store for a price first. Don't buy it online. Those digital downloads are the easy way out. Be a real man. Do it the hard way. Almost writing a song about it to the tune of that ad solo man [youtube it if you are interested - it's a soft drink with a guy in a canoe] :

you gotta work it hard
to be a lightwave man
got to take the lead
and ask the store to follow
can't download to be a lightwave man
and when you ask digistor for a price...
you love the dvd disk like gold oh...

solo ad narrator: only buying lightwave from a brick and mortar store slams it down fast. Light on the download fizz. The dvd has that extra tang.

Honestly. That is absolutely weird. Do people whol run these stores still think that England hasn't won a world soccer cup? I've attached a screenshot of the digistor website. The 3D digital market has a long way to go. IT is nowhere near maturity in terms of its business models.

Yes. I know. bizarre. 1980's touch typing.

sami
02-18-2014, 01:59 AM
You probably know about these guys, but just in case, here's another Australian store with prices:
http://newmagic.com.au/Products/NewTek/LightWave-3D.asp

saranine
02-18-2014, 02:49 AM
You probably know about these guys, but just in case, here's another Australian store with prices:

No. I didn't know about this store actually. Good to know that there are some sellers who aren't decades behind. I mean, how bizarre can you get? Choices:

download lightwave from newtek site

buy from a brick and mortar site that requires you to email the manager and get the price from him.

Have some thinking music to decide the option for you. To quote Otto in A Fish Called Wanda "you need time to adjust to the possibilities before you...think about it!" Great scene by the way. It's probably on youtube if you google youtube a fish called wanda.

Well done! You decided to choose the quicker and easier digital download option for lightwave! A smart choice!

adk
02-18-2014, 02:58 AM

That's who I'd go for anything LW related Down Under. All our LW purchases, at my previous gig, were through these guys and they were great to deal with. Not to mention pretty decent LW users to boot!
I just wish I could remember specific names for you.

saranine
02-18-2014, 02:59 AM
That said though, that magic website seems to be another run around to other brick and mortar stores. Another song :

round and round we go
nobody knows

[which pop song was that - I've forgotten - the next line is something like "this is the place we ca-ame for". Shows a weakness of google doesn't it. This sort of search needs a wolfram alpha for things like "which pop song had this lyric..."

Anyway, it doesn't appeal to me to go round and round from brick and mortar store to store. I knew a guy once whose life ambition was to watch every professional football team in Britain at each of their home grounds. He failed to do it by about 3 teams. Maybe he should have had this ambition instead: visit every brick and mortar store that sells lightwave.

Life's so easy when you go to the newtek site. Lightwave is there for you to buy. But I guess that some people choose the difficult path in life. Maybe it is their fate. Their kisma. Their karma. And who are we to judge such people. But personally I don't enjoy wasting my time running around.

adk
02-18-2014, 04:49 AM
round and round we go
nobody knows

[which pop song was that - I've forgotten - the next line is something like "this is the place we ca-ame for". Shows a weakness of google doesn't it. This sort of search needs a wolfram alpha for things like "which pop song had this lyric..."

Spandau Ballet

As for the rest ... that's entirely up to you. I'm just saying that the guys at Newmagic were very good and helped us out - quite a lot.

saranine
02-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Spandau Ballet

As for the rest ... that's entirely up to you. I'm just saying that the guys at Newmagic were very good and helped us out - quite a lot.

You are right! It is that Spandau Ballet song! I don't remember ever listening to the entire song. Weird. In these forums we improve the pop music awareness of Lightwave users. I mean, we can't have this high brow stuff like working out how Vermeer did his paintings. :D

Pop music. The real culture.

bazsa73
02-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Let's rant!

saranine
02-18-2014, 03:05 PM
That's not a pop song. Isn't the title "Let's Dance" by one of those daft early 80's here today gone tomorrow outfits [Devo? Thomson Twins? ] .

Though if someone can find a song called "let's rant" I will have a look.

saranine
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Apologies to David Bowie. lol.

Nangleator
02-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Oh, pshaw! Just hop on your velocipede and peddle as fast as your mustache wax can take it, then negotiate in person the vending of these 'soft wares' of which you speak!