PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing video card

yoshiii
02-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Hello I am building a new pc for gaming, 3D rendering, 3D design. I will use lightwave.

I have a GTX 660 Direct CU II for my current pc which I will use in the new build. Is this a good card to use? I can buy a GTX 580 Lightening 1.5g for 150 dollars. Will this be better than the 660? How about the 680 or the 760?

spherical
02-17-2014, 12:10 AM
There are a few threads on the forum dedicated to this. Most of the questions have already been addressed. That said, the forum search may not turn up relevant results. Resort to Google by limiting the search to

site:forums.newtek.com [insert search terms here]

THAT said, (don't I remember this question being asked recently somewhere else?) the 660 is fine. The 580 will tumble models faster. The newer cards are crippled in frame rate in order to sell more of the overpriced Quadro line.

Waves of light
02-17-2014, 05:58 AM
There are a few threads on the forum dedicated to this. Most of the questions have already been addressed. That said, the forum search may not turn up relevant results. Resort to Google by limiting the search to

site:forums.newtek.com [insert search terms here]

THAT said, (don't I remember this question being asked recently somewhere else?) the 660 is fine. The 580 will tumble models faster. The newer cards are crippled in frame rate in order to sell more of the overpriced Quadro line.

What Spherical said. Plus, if you use 3DCoat for sculpting, the 580 will be better, as it allows you to move and manipulate dense meshes better than the 600 series. Again, this is because they crippled certain aspects of the card, as the 500 series were out selling the Quadro line. This is why I picked up a second hand Asus Direct II 580 1.5Gb. If you can get hold of a 3GB card, then even better.

If you're going to go down the GPU render route (e.g. Octane) I believe the 600 series will be slightly better.

yoshiii
02-17-2014, 05:00 PM
What Spherical said. Plus, if you use 3DCoat for sculpting, the 580 will be better, as it allows you to move and manipulate dense meshes better than the 600 series. Again, this is because they crippled certain aspects of the card, as the 500 series were out selling the Quadro line. This is why I picked up a second hand Asus Direct II 580 1.5Gb. If you can get hold of a 3GB card, then even better.

If you're going to go down the GPU render route (e.g. Octane) I believe the 600 series will be slightly better.

How are the 700 series? The 770 or 780? How about the Titan?