PDA

View Full Version : What happened to N-Sided Quidam character software?

Paul_Boland
02-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Hi Folks.

I am a Quidam 3D user. It's not as good as Poser but it was more affordable and it had an exporter for Lightwave which worked great!! I have Quidam 3, the latest version of the software. I just now did a Google search looking for N-Sided, the company behind the software, to see if there was a Quidam 4 or any updates to version 3, but it seems the company is gone!! I can find sites which have the software for free download, but I didn't take any of those because as I said I already own the software. But I'm just curious as to what happened to the company? Does anyone know?

prometheus
02-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Hi Folks.

I am a Quidam 3D user. It's not as good as Poser but it was more affordable and it had an exporter for Lightwave which worked great!! I have Quidam 3, the latest version of the software. I just now did a Google search looking for N-Sided, the company behind the software, to see if there was a Quidam 4 or any updates to version 3, but it seems the company is gone!! I can find sites which have the software for free download, but I didn't take any of those because as I said I already own the software. But I'm just curious as to what happened to the company? Does anyone know?

Itīs been out of business it seems since 2010, I havenīt come across any official statement of them ending it though, itīs just not active any more.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?137428-Quidam-v-3

Paul_Boland
02-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Aw man... Thanks, Prometheus. Sad to hear that.

CaptainMarlowe
02-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Quidam was a great software, but they never managed to gain a sufficient rentability. All the technology has been bought up by Dassault Systems, I believe. The Guy behind Quidam (Pierre Bretagnolle) who was also one of Amapi designers is now a freelancer, according to its linked in profile. This said, I still have Quidam 2 on my Mac and it comes still in handy on several occasions. Especially to create characters and all the necessary morphs for facial animation, then Quidam is really great.
I believe that Fuse (by Mixamo) (http://www.mixamo.com/fuse) is a bit in the spirit of Quidam, even if I was not convinced by my first try with them (a bit expensive for what they offer, but it may change in the future). You can also use MakeHuman (http://www.makehuman.org), which grows, can be very interesting and is completely free.

Paul_Boland
02-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Fuse looks like Quidam but the pricing is severe! MakeHuman is interesting, thanks for the link.

prometheus
02-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Das studio is nice too, since you can pose and animate directly in daz, load mocaps, combine motions etc, then export out to either obj format, or fbx format and with genesis figures it seems to be working nicely nowadays. and itīs free, only limited in ways that you donīt have real genitals and not much of clothes to work with, free resource such as renderosity might help with some of that, and you can always make your own clothes, do morphs on the
characters face to make your own custom personality.

Make human interface sucks, and saving out stuff is weird, lack of bones and posing tools..however, the figures are based on real life scans, and thus you get more naturalistic humans actually than daz...textures in make human seem to be to low for good use, so you might need to make your own.

quidamīs body editing seem to have been the best tools Ivé seen for changing a character, unfortunatly I thought they did poor marketing and demo trials, and the library of good looking models from scratch was too limited, it could have been a good serious contender if done right.

fusion seem similar to quidam, but the feedback Ivé seen isnīt promising, including the looks of it in terms of more cartoon stylished figures and the pricing makes it a no no for me.

Michael

gerry_g
02-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Wasn't the French code team behind the now defunct Amapi (and Hexagon) responsible for it and are the not now working for Daz or someone similar, I'm pretty certain it was their handy work hence like every thing else they have ever done it too has proved short lived

CaptainMarlowe
02-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Das studio is nice too, since you can pose and animate directly in daz, load mocaps, combine motions etc, then export out to either obj format, or fbx format and with genesis figures it seems to be working nicely nowadays. and itīs free, only limited in ways that you donīt have real genitals and not much of clothes to work with, free resource such as renderosity might help with some of that, and you can always make your own clothes, do morphs on the

Make human interface sucks, and saving out stuff is weird, lack of bones and posing tools..however, the figures are based on real life scans, and thus you get more naturalistic humans actually than daz...textures in make human seem to be to low for good use, so you might need to make your own.

quidamīs body editing seem to have been the best tools Ivé seen for changing a character, unfortunatly I thought they did poor marketing and demo trials, and the library of good looking models from scratch was too limited, it could have been a good serious contender if done right.

fusion seem similar to quidam, but the feedback Ivé seen isnīt promising, including the looks of it in terms of more cartoon stylished figures and the pricing makes it a no no for me.

Michael

Have you checked the latest make human version ? The GUI has been revamped is much more usable now.

prometheus
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Have you checked the latest make human version ? The GUI has been revamped is much more usable now.

I got 1.0 alpha 7, so no..yes I see they did some changes, but I would have to test it, what concerns me and what I can not find out, do they now have a windows dialog save output?
or is that the same without any reference to any location what so ever?
in 1.0 alpha 7 it is saved out to my doc/makehuman export...I want to get a windows dialog and being ableto save where I want directly.

I also find that tweakings of for example nose mouth head etc, it takes too long time for it to respond to the tweaks when you are moving the settings, and I also find the settings non inituive somehow, it doesnīt click for me how they work really ..as opposed to slider tweaks in daz studio..which is way easier to tweak.

I also think the mesh might have too low quality and the same with included textures with too low resolution, no options of doing actual poses of the whole figure on arms legs etc, only tweaks for head and modeling.
also, when tweaking mouth shape or face shape, the view will snap to front view or side view depending on tweak you choose, and thus you canīt see the tweak from another viewpoint, until dropping it and rotat the figure..this is bad.

also selecting tweaks or modeling gives you tweak setting slider dialogs on the left side, and on the right side a menu with nose,mouth or eye categories, these could be merged together or beneath eachohter in one menubar.

texture exported will lack a proper eyebrow transparance texture map, and eye map.

I hope they can release a betaversion ..because it is clearly in alpha with so many features missing.
That said...I like the approach and research they have put in to it for racial tweaks and the natural look of the figures, assymetry tweaks etc and ..actually looking somewhat more natural than daz figures.
Edit...the fixing of eyes and eyebrows is of course to use the uv texture in render/clip map...not in transparency.

Michael

CaptainMarlowe
02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
I agree with almost all your points. As you said, it is still alpha. What I like is the right to re-use the generated mesh commercially. If I import it in 3D-Coat to create a sculpture, for instance, I can afterwards sell it, which may come in handy in some cases (for instance, I had a project long ago to create and sell a French Castle with all its gardens, but it involved lots of sculptures, and I needed a mesh usable commercially to create them : make human is very useful for that).
In alpha 8, you can now choose where you export your data.

prometheus
02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I agree with almost all your points. As you said, it is still alpha. What I like is the right to re-use the generated mesh commercially. If I import it in 3D-Coat to create a sculpture, for instance, I can afterwards sell it, which may come in handy in some cases (for instance, I had a project long ago to create and sell a French Castle with all its gardens, but it involved lots of sculptures, and I needed a mesh usable commercially to create them : make human is very useful for that).
In alpha 8, you can now choose where you export your data.

just installed the alpha 1.08..and Yes..it seems much better now, the sliders arenīt weird blocks to drag, so that is much better, and the respons when tweaking is now much faster..great.
the age can now be set from 1-90, and the body shape in general looks better.
And yes, I can now export and save with windows dialog..great too.

However, I when exporting I donīt get the textures exported, tried fbx and obj format, now I just unzipped the makehuman to desktop and actually ran it from there, which I think I shouldnīt, but in that folder there is no textures, so I wonder if I have to copy over to the old program folder or something, thereīs no installer for the whole thing, so I guess it needs to acess the textures from the old content+ but at the same time the texture
in the program openGL does look newer?

Michael

prometheus
02-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Having issues trying to post on the make human forums, I knew it was a long time ago I registred, now I then asked for resend of password, but it doesnīt recognize my mailadress, then I try to do a new registration, but then it
complains about the mailadress already being in use...blah?
and the main page has no contact mail adress I can turn to and adress this?

prometheus
02-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Thereīs no textures in the data folder for the newest makehuman 1.08, and you canīt use the 1.07 version since those do not match.
So it seems we have to make our own textures for now?

shrox
02-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Michael

No free genitals?! Well, ain't that a kick in polys...

prometheus
02-19-2014, 04:24 PM

I have this scene coming of the canadian olympic hockey team and then some maple leafs as the only thing covering some parts on them ,then some wind dynamics going on to reveal that teams vulnerability.
See...such scenes would be impossible without real genitals.

That was of course just some bizarre thought suddenly appearing, I did have a dream long ago that made me swet, I was walking in the desert..in the nude, no one was there to see me nude thoug, but strangely I felt
ashamed...and then I found a beautiful flower ..which seemed to be the only flower around and I ripped it off the ground just to cover my family jewels, and suddenly the whole ground started to crack and opened
a big abyss ..and I was falling in to it, and all darkness only to wake up in swet.
No..If I would like to make a scene like that, It would look quite ridiculous with daz flat crotch "Real humans"

by the way, I found the textures now for make human, they are of course located under data/skins...or data/eyes..or data/clothes....I thought they should have been in the data/textures folder...but that one is empty.

I got to get to bed now, my cold infection is giving me unusally weird thoughts now, like genoma rig with genitals and neuron motion and how such mocap would work:)

Michael

shrox
02-19-2014, 04:27 PM
... I did have a dream long ago that made me swet, I was walking in the desert..in the nude, no one was there to see me nude thoug, but strangely I felt
ashamed...and then I found a beautiful flower ..which seemed to be the only flower around and I ripped it off the ground just to cover my family jewels,...l

I don't want to know things like this.

Davewriter
02-19-2014, 08:29 PM

There is the option of purchasing the "Pro" version of Vic or Mike or... which will give you the fun parts.
So just like everywhere else in life for me... I've got to pay a pro for...

cresshead
02-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Hmm what's this?

http://www.mixamo.com/fuse

is this what happened to the software...looks rather familiar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojpam5Fu8MM

CaptainMarlowe
02-22-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm not so impressed with Fuse so far : way too expensive in my book, and not giving anything more than Quidam did quite a few years ago.
Now, you're right, Fuse is a Quidam-like, although I don't think it shares its code, nor it has behind it someone from the former N-Sided team.

prometheus
02-24-2014, 09:18 AM
makehuman v1.08 is much better than v.1.07
UI is better and speed etc, figures are more easier to shape etc.

I was testing the fbx export, the rig seems to come out as it should when exported, but trying to pose them screws up the whole body, I do not know whatīs going on here, trying to rest them also
deforms everthing to a mess.

Think I will stick to daz studio, even though makehuman provides some basic models that are nice...and somewhat more natural life looking than daz.