PDA

View Full Version : ridiculous request

psychostyrene
11-18-2003, 09:29 PM
hiya just thinking about keyframing and studying relative motion and character flow, and the thought occured that what id REALLY like is some kind of onion skinning feature...kind of like two layouts superimposed over each other... so that as you can use the arrow keys to mover foreward and back thru the frames in layout you have what is essentially a still frame( which you can also scroll thru with a foreward and back key)using all the same parameters as whatever view yuouve chosen for your layout window..... so for example you can have your model and layout at say frame 30 and have like a ghosted wireframe of frame 20 in the background for comparison..... whatever settings you use for your standard window would also apply to the ghosted image behind...i know nothing about programming or coding but id IMAGINE that this would function as an offshoot of the preview function... which after all does nothing but give you an image sequence..... i dont know how hard it would be to generate that on the fly and then display a frame behind the layout... but it would be hell useful to those of us who do character keyframing....

cheers for everything thats already in there
G jensen

Mylenium
11-19-2003, 08:10 AM
Yeah, ghosting would be very useful. Technically it shouldn't be too difficult to do. Basically you would only have to store a snapshot of the display/ OpenGL buffer at the respective time which in practice means moving it to another memory area and digging it out when needed. With todays graphics cards you should hardly notice any drop in speediness and interface feedback.

Mylenium

Nemoid
11-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Agree. plus, traditional animators use ghosting alot from ages!!
I love onion skin!!!!

Karmacop
11-19-2003, 08:29 AM
someone has made a plugin to do this already, I'm not sure how, but here's how I'd do it.

create a custom object on the object that get's cosnetic information from the model it's applied to. This cosmetic infromation (what it looks like) instead of being static would be, for example) of the current frame+1, current frame+2 currentframe+3 so that you'd have 3 'onioned' frames after the current frame.

I think this is ow lightwave would handle if it was going to be per object instead of per scene.

psychostyrene
11-19-2003, 01:27 PM
thats great but unfortunately i trained as an animator rather than a programmer... and digging thru the code to find the right bits and assempling them into a plugin is about as realistic for me as teleporting to the pub after work.... im curious to know how realsitic a request this is and how much attention the coders pay to this forum....

cheers all
G

Karmacop
11-19-2003, 03:59 PM
He sure doesn't make it easy, but I found his site. http://www.geocities.com/andygecowebcozw/LScripts/ . It's just a directory listing but it has some screenshots and a demo (though I can't get the demo to work). But that's an already made onion skinning plugin for lightwave. Costs about $50 us or something? I'm not sure ...

EDIT: Oh yeah, I think you can email him by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lw3d/post?postID=FGiWLBqMLF2vdC8IWaPevaJnv-pfJQX3_F1hnEHsg_Pbt_ku28Te_xJvgM8zaCOieFgWUFK1

psychostyrene
11-19-2003, 04:58 PM
thanks man... i greatly appreciate that link... the plugin looks impressive...

cheers
G