PDA

View Full Version : Free Script: Split Frame

Matt
02-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Someone was needing this, which had been done before, but as a .p plugin, and was only 32bit. I could have sworn there was already an LScript that did the same thing, but I couldn't find it, so thought what the heck and wrote it anyway.

What does it do?

It takes the currently loaded scene and saves out multiple scenes based on the number of columns and rows, setting the Limited Region render property for each one. You can also specify an overlap margin. For when you need to do massive renders that can't be rendered in one go, or you want to spread the rendering load of one frame over many machines using ScreamerNet.

Hope you find it useful. As always, the LScript code is commented for those wanting to learn it.

Cheers
Matt

spherical
02-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Cool. These are all completely separate scenes? Can it be done with separate cameras?

Matt
02-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Cool. These are all completely separate scenes? Can it be done with separate cameras?

Yes separate scenes, but I could make it possible to split out cameras to different scenes with each camera being active - good idea!

spherical
02-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Yes. Was remembering a plug or script that would load cameras in sequence. Combining the two, you could render a huge pixel dimension file while sleeping.

ernpchan
02-14-2014, 09:47 PM
What about having one camera that animates to make the tiles.

Matt
02-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Can it be done with separate cameras?

Okay, try this, lemme know if it works for you.

Phil
02-14-2014, 11:37 PM

Heh. I had to do the same thing in the last couple of days to get a massive ground plane texture out of Vue for use elsewhere. This will be pushed into tiled EXRs, but rendering with xStream through LW was just a ridiculous endeavor due to the amount of time required (although it was kind of neat to see the camera stepping across the terrain. Therapeutic.)

It shouldn't be too hard to generate a script to do this, though.

ernpchan
02-14-2014, 11:47 PM
I made a script for AE that does this when I had to deal with generating print res files from Flash swfs so the technique definitely has its place.

spherical
02-15-2014, 01:39 AM

As long as the camera doesn't move....

spherical
02-15-2014, 01:41 AM

Thanks, Matt. I'll check it out first thing. I've been up for a little over two days, now, so wouldn't be the best tester on the planet, ATM.

ksnoad
02-15-2014, 03:38 AM
Nice!

Kev xx

spherical
02-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks. No, that's not what I meant. I was a bit confused when the settings greyed out with "Cameras" selected. What you have is scenes are saved with each camera that was in the original scene selected in sequence in each scene copy. What I meant was one scene is saved with cameras duplicated from the selected camera, each having the Limited Region according to the column row settings. Then, you can load cameras in sequence to render out the tiles.

Thought I may have found a way to get what I'm looking for but it doesn't work like I thought. I figured that I could just Load Items From Scene and get each of the cameras. Problem is, the Limited Region of each doesn't come in with the camera. Evidently, it is saved in the scene.

The other thing that was unexpected is that the camera position when loaded in changes. Complicating matters, the camera in the original scene is parented to a null. The loaded-in camera rotated clockwise around the null by the amount that the null is rotated. Parenting to the null and adjusting the H corrected that but the position remained incorrect; pointing the right way but still in the place that it rotated to. Would have to copy/paste the X/Z values to reposition.

But, there is only one Limited Region available in a scene, so my approach won't work. :( Darn! So, I'm not seeing the benefit of version 1.1, I guess.

tyrot
03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
can somebody show me how plugin works,,, and also CAN IT WORK WITH OCTANE ! please show me! gotta render 6 K image....

WOOOW it is working with OCTANE!

MY GOOOOOOOODNESS - MATT you saved my life!

3dworks
10-28-2018, 04:49 AM
this script seems not to work anymore in LW2018 (at least on macOS) - i'm getting "line 61, illegal arithmetic operation on data type".

matt, could it be somehow upgraded? i see it's an lscript, but sorry i'm not into programming... or is there any better ready solution for LW 2018? for using this with octane it would need to save out separate scenes with cameras set in a way that it would work without limited region. the reason is that octane cannot render 'cropped' regions in LW without needing the whole frame loaded. i guess this is only possible with shift cameras.

oliverhotz
10-28-2018, 09:04 AM
there also a version of it in odtools.

3dworks
10-28-2018, 11:29 AM
there also a version of it in odtools.

ah, i wasn't sure - please what is the name to find it inside the plugin crowd?

oliverhotz
10-28-2018, 11:39 AM
its called LWS Splitter.. under 2018 / setup

3dworks
10-28-2018, 01:14 PM
its called LWS Splitter.. under 2018 / setup

great, thanks!! PS would be really nice to have a sort of cheat sheet for all OD tools, as they are growing and some times the right ones are not too obvious to find in the plugin jungle. maybe it could be something like a single page PDF with all the plugins listed by function groups.

oliverhotz
10-28-2018, 02:17 PM
if you are on the internal discord, or the facebook page, there's a single page pdf with it all.

- - - Updated - - -

here you go.

Steel
10-29-2018, 04:54 AM
if you are on the internal discord, or the facebook page, there's a single page pdf with it all.

- - - Updated - - -

here you go.

Hi Oliver. Is it possible to create a script which divides up the whole frame into segments but wihout the limited region function? So for
each segment we need a unique new camera (positioned with horizontal and vertical lens shift and the possibility to give some Overlap).

The reason is that Octane Denoiser does not support renderings higher that about 4k resolution and is not able to make use
of the limited region border on function. "The render region is always working over the full image frame buffer."

Ive have to render a about 19.000px x 19.000 px image with octane. At the moment there is no possibility to render
out such bigger resolution images with the use of denoiser. :(
In the Octane editor there is also the possibilty to lens shift the camera. But its not easy to setup in good way.
A workaround by hand would be adjusting the Octanre Render Target Camera Lens Shift X and Lens Shift y and
"cutting " the image again by giving a negative Overscan value in Lightwave Camera settings. But its very complex
if in my case a lot of rows and columns are needed.
Iam sure that iam not the only one who needs the possibilitiy of rendering high res pictures with octane.
Maybe this would a really useful feature for many LW-Octane users.

Greetings :)

Here also link to octane forum thread:
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=69158&start=10

oliverhotz
10-29-2018, 07:25 AM
you can file a feature request on my page for it (link mentioned in the registration mail)