PDA

View Full Version : How to Create Re-entrant M/E on your TriCaster 460 or 860.

csandy
02-14-2014, 05:24 PM
A neat feature of the TriCaster 8000 is the ability to have one M/E as a source for another M/E. You were trying to enjoy your Valentine's Day, but you were just too bummed out because you only have a TriCaster 460 or TriCaster 860.

One of the best uses for a re-entrant M/E is to have a virtual set inside of a virtual set. This can be accomplished by taking a 3ft HD-SDI cable to one of your secondary video outputs and re-entering that output into one of your standard video inputs. Let's say you're using an 860 and you plug it back into SDI input "8". Now go to your output configuration tab and set your secondary output to display the isolated M/E for one of your virtual sets, let's assume it's M/E 2.

Now have your virtual set on M/E 2 re-enter M/E 1 using SDI input 8.

Enjoy your Valentine's Day.

kanep
02-14-2014, 09:57 PM
This does work. It does use up the second output, where as on the TC8000 the built in re-entry leaves your output #2 available for other uses. You can also perform the same trick using the Network output and a NET input if you don't want to lose an SDI input, however the latency will be a little bit higher doing it this way (FYI, the TC8000 re-entry has zero latency).

Useful none the less!

csandy
02-15-2014, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the follow-up Kane!

joseburgos
02-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Colin have you tested my virtual shadow trick to see if the latency ruins the effect using this method?

PS cool info and great insite Kane as to how it works

csandy
02-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Not yet. Your post did inspire me to try the re-entry trick though. I'd probably have to try it Kane's way with the net inputs to be able to get enough latency to notice without bringing out test gear. With the weather I didn't feel like driving out to the SAV warehouse, but I had an 860 at home. We're pretty much in for the long weekend. I'll try it out and give you a call.

SBowie
02-16-2014, 08:29 AM
I'd probably have to try it Kane's way with the net inputs to be able to get enough latency to notice without bringing out test gear.I played around with some of this back when we we first enabled the network output, and it worked passably for a quick effect. 8000 is much more fun, of course.

joedemax
02-18-2014, 02:07 PM
This is cool. One trick I use on my 460 system is to make a Transwarp effect to combine two M/Es. All you do is create a transition that holds the same position for all of the frames. I've used this method to create quad box effects etc. On the older systems it was a little tricky as you had to press loads of buttons to get it to work, where as now all you do is just create a macro to set it all up in one shot. If I need to switch out of the effect, I tend to just take a DSK on top of it until I have disabled it.

P4P
08-22-2014, 11:42 AM
I tried to port SDI output 1, into SDI input 4 on my TriCaster 410, and I can't seem to get this to work. I can't find where I control whats going out on SDI output 1, so I'm sure thats the root of the problem. Is it because I'm on a 410?

kanep
08-22-2014, 12:53 PM
You can do this on a 410, but you have it connected wrong.

1. Connect output #2 to input #4 (make sure the output format matches your session).

2. Now in the Output Configuration window, set the M/E that you want to re-entry on Output #2.

3. Now go into another M/E and choose input #4 as an input (typically on the B chanel, like to fill a monitor on a virtual set), you will see that input #4 is another M/E inside this M/E.

P4P
08-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Worked like a charm. Silly of me to have it connected to the wrong input! Thanks!

Buddy.Hannon
08-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I use this on a T40 Version 1 to put a virtual set into one of the boxes in a double box effect. Though I have to send preview to the output that is being used as an input, soI can only do cuts between the double box onscreen and the sources for the double box. We use this when we're doing a show were we Skype someone in. Besides the limitations of cuts only, it work every well.

joseburgos
08-25-2014, 10:11 AM
If you create a custom double box with the virtual set background as part of one of the boxes, you would achieve same results and recoup your input and output :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you create a custom double box with the virtual set background as part of one of the boxes, you would achieve same results and recoup your input and output :)

Buddy.Hannon
08-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks Jose, I'll give that a shot.
I had to come up with something on the fly last week, but I like your idea better.