PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Lightwave

Scamp Vamp
02-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Hello all.

I am a Lightwave hobbyist who is just now getting back into 3D graphics after a number of years away from it.
I still have my copy of 9.6 from 2007/2008 but I was wondering if it was worth it for a hobbyist to upgrade to v11.6.

I am interested in character and mechanical models with a view to rendering with a cel shaded look.

I would just like some of your opinions please on how Lightwave is now and what new features would benefit me for producing the above mentioned images. Or would I bet just as well sticking with 9.6.

Time to dust of the manuals and get learning again :)

Many thanks in advance.

ernpchan
02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
The 11 series is nice but if you're a hobbyist I would suggest getting proficient first. What you want to do is already possible in 9.6.

souzou
02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
In case you haven't seen it there is a special offer that finishes today that is $200 off upgrades (so $495 instead of $695) which translates to about £300. There were a few additions in v10 but lots in v11. There were a few changes with edges that help with cel shading, and imho VPR is a massive addition.

Have a look at the lw site to check out new features if you haven't already: https://www.lightwave3d.com/overview/

Surrealist.
02-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Also don't forget Genoma for rigging characters, is a fairly significant feature in that area.

I am not sure how far off 12 is, but, I don't know I'd maybe be inclined to wait because 11 has been around for what about a year now or more right?

bobakabob
02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
VPR, the interactive renderer is a huge leap forward and makes animating and surfacing so much easier. Genoma, Bullet and Instancing are all very strong features. You wouldn't regret upgrading.

Scamp Vamp
02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Wow thank you for the fast replies.

I've been having a look at the new features and as mentioned some seem perfect for what I would like to do. Combine that with the low price atm and it definately seems good.

On the other hand as Surrealist said how long till version 12 and will I pick it up again as ernpchan mentioned?

Decisions decisions.

spherical
02-14-2014, 01:13 PM
No one out here knows about 12's timeline, so don't waste CPU cycles thinking about it. New versions usually get sprung at Siggraph, whether the version is ready or not. That's 6 months away.

hrgiger
02-14-2014, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. The rumor is that there is another update in the 11 series yet (possibly 11.7) which tells me we probably won't be seeing anything about LW12 this year. But as far as whether its worth to upgraded to LW11 from LW9, I would say if it's not a huge financial burden, I would say yes. Instancing, Flocking, Bullet, Stereo 3D rendering, GoZ, VPR, a few nice new modeling tools, some new UI and workflow enhancements...

UnCommonGrafx
02-14-2014, 02:20 PM
I don't see them going outside of siggraph in announcing 12.

This is how varied our opinions are here on the forums.

Buy now and I would bet you would get an update for 12.

jeric_synergy
02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Not even Yawheh knows when 12 will be out, so I suggest you jump in now. the 11.x series is a major upgrade.

hrgiger
02-14-2014, 02:52 PM
I don't see them going outside of siggraph in announcing 12.

This is how varied our opinions are here on the forums.

Buy now and I would bet you would get an update for 12.

Well I wouldn't tell that to someone because if that doesn't happen, they're going to have false hope dashed pretty quickly. Unless LW3DG announces it, I would not count on a free upgrade to the next version. Buy for what you need or want now.

Snosrap
02-14-2014, 09:57 PM
LW 11.6 is great and well worth the upgrade. 9.6 seems so old school now. Layout has seen most the improvements, but Modeler has some enhancements too.

Surrealist.
02-15-2014, 12:03 AM
I am not sure why everyone is so certain that 12 is so far away.

"On February 20, 2012 NewTek began shipping LightWave 11 Software"

That is almost exactly 2 years ago!

I say do the math and wait. I actually could not remember it had been that long when I made my first comment.

If you buy now, likely it will be another upgrade within a year to go to 12, I would almost count on it. If they release it in 6-8 months which is highly likely considering that it has been 2 years already, there is not a chance you'd have it go back this far to get a freebee.

And they have added so much in the 11 cycle it is harder to believe that they'd be rolling out any new features before getting some upgrade sales. Just sound business.

No one knows for sure. I just say use your head and do the math.

Get working with 9.6 and then in a few months get the trial to 11 and work with it for a while and then be patient. (it will work in discovery mode until release of 12)

Scamp Vamp
02-15-2014, 04:28 AM
Hey guys, thank you all again for your opinions and help.

Having had a good look through all the new features etc and finding an article about the version histories of LW I have decided to stick with 9.6 for now. My reasons are as follows:

Most of the enhancements have been for layout and rendering, I will just be modelling things for the next few months so I wouldn't make use of most of the new features for the time being.

The new modeller tools are very good but its not going to kill me to live without them :D

I would kick myself if I bought an upgrade now and found i'd missed out on a free update.

I am going to get to grips with modeller again and dig out some of my old 3D books/tuts. See how im doing by the time the next major update is out and buy it then if I feel im progressing enough.

Thanks again for everyones help, its nice to find such a helpful community.

andypete
02-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone,

This is a timely thread. I’m thinking about lightwave too and have some questions (I have version 8.5):

- Are modeler and layout still separate components, and lwo and lws files?
- Is the viewport preview renderer comparable to FPrime?
- Do you still need to use a dongle?
- Is the Mac version well supported (or any flavor of linux)?

My focus is product solutions, engineering design and manufacturing. The industries vary by client, but currently I’m working with equipment OEMs with architectural and land use applications. So I’ve been thinking about LWCAD (something new to me). The work also includes parametric tools, currently Inventor but could be any solids app.

In the past, I’ve used LightWave in very scalable ways. We built a collaborative workflow across design, engineering and simulation groups, all using exchangeable datasets. LightWave’s content structure and scene files allowed us to manage and generate things externally. We’d write LWS files directly from our simulation control systems, for example. Hundreds of parts and thousands of key frames, instantly. Things we couldn’t do manually in a short period of time.

I’m looking to tap that flexibility again. I’ll snoop around the forums, but I’m wondering if anyone has any relevant feedback. It looks like it’s a good time to upgrade too.

Thanks
Andy

spherical
02-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Yes.
Pretty much.
No, but it can be used in conjunction with the new license file for plugin compatibility.
If you ask Mac people, they'll say that things could be better.

11.6.x up from 8.5 will be a great jump. A lot of speed improvements & new capability. You'll have to grok the new Unified Sampling and Node workflow, although the usual surface Editor is still in place, and in order to move forward.

LWCAD is nearly indispensable.

Snosrap
02-16-2014, 02:22 PM
- Are modeler and layout still separate components, and lwo and lws files?
Yep

- Is the viewport preview renderer comparable to FPrime?
I think it's much better because it works with all the shaders etc.. I use a some sort of reflection Fresnel on about every surface I create, with FPrime the only type it would recognize would be a gradient, using VPR you can just add the Fast Fresnel from the Shaders Tab. -- yes BESM,BRDF,Halftone, etc. all show up in the VPR!

- Do you still need to use a dongle? Nope

- Is the Mac version well supported (or any flavor of linux)? Mac is.

My focus is product solutions, engineering design and manufacturing. The industries vary by client, but currently I’m working with equipment OEMs with architectural and land use applications. So I’ve been thinking about LWCAD (something new to me). The work also includes parametric tools, currently Inventor but could be any solids app.
There are new importers and exporters to work with solids from the likes of Inventor etc..

In the past, I’ve used LightWave in very scalable ways. We built a collaborative workflow across design, engineering and simulation groups, all using exchangeable datasets. LightWave’s content structure and scene files allowed us to manage and generate things externally. We’d write LWS files directly from our simulation control systems, for example. Hundreds of parts and thousands of key frames, instantly. Things we couldn’t do manually in a short period of time. Those workflows should still work.

There are tons of improvements in LW from the 8 series, it would be a no-brainer to upgrade.

bobakabob
02-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Agree, it would be so hard to live without VPR and the new animation toolset.

andypete
02-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the helpful answers. That's what I was hoping to hear!