PDA

View Full Version : My Star Trek art show!

shrox
02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
I had eight large, printed pieces on display at a gallery for a month here in Eureka. I had a variety of subjects, but one of them had people asking about it everyday, a render of the starship Enterprise. I decided to do an all Star Trek show. Here is the first one I am working on for it.

This is just a first pass, I'll redo the candle mesh and texture.

shrox
02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Any comments on the composition? I like it but I am concerned.

spherical
02-11-2014, 08:05 PM
I like it. Comp looks fine to me. Work on the candle would be good, yes.

Things that jump out at me:

The wick is toward the back, yet the wax is highest there.
Melted wax on the candles I have running here don't dome up. It just melts in place, growing outward as the flame obtains more fuel and builds energy. Just started one to check and the melt actually does drop in height, forming a concave liquid surface that, due to surface tension, rises the most at the wick base and some at the edges. When the melted pool reaches a rim, then it carves a channel and runs out.

shrox
02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I like it. Comp looks fine to me. Work on the candle would be good, yes.

Things that jump out at me:

The wick is toward the back, yet the wax is highest there.
Melted wax on the candles I have running here don't dome up. It just melts in place, growing outward as the flame obtains more fuel and builds energy. Just started one to check and the melt actually does drop in height, forming a concave liquid surface that, due to surface tension, rises the most at the wick base and some at the edges. When the melted pool reaches a rim, then it carves a channel and runs out.

OK, I'll go with the composition, I am tossing the candle for a better one. The candle melt is based on it just few seconds after lighting. Do you recognize the scene?

spherical
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Of course... Catspaw.

Well, I can't recall candle wax ever behaving like that. Physics doesn't match, but then that's artistic license, I guess.

shrox
02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Of course... Catspaw.

Well, I can't recall candle wax ever behaving like that. Physics doesn't match, but then that's artistic license, I guess.

Correct! I lit a candle we have that has burned down some. As it started melting I just kind of looked at it. It beads up for a bit, then flows over the edge.

shrox
02-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Here is another I am going to include.

shrox
02-11-2014, 09:56 PM
This is one I started last year, I'll work on it some more. The NCC-1701 hovering over the CVN-65.

Silkrooster
02-11-2014, 10:47 PM
I really like the ocean one. Nice job on all of them though. I hope you do well...

shrox
02-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks Silky, it's the Enterprise over the Enterprise.

I am just not happy with the candle I have made. Is it cheating to us a billboard poly with a map for the candle?

spherical
02-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Correct! I lit a candle we have that has burned down some. As it started melting I just kind of looked at it. It beads up for a bit, then flows over the edge.

Hmmm.... I tried four different candles and none of them ever rose up in a dome like that. They just melt radially outward. Examining them, you can get across the just-lit message by the local transparency of the SSS material; liquid and transparent near the wick and scattered farther out, wiht a channel leading to the lowest edge.

spherical
02-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks Silky, it's the Enterprise over the Enterprise.

I am just not happy with the candle I have made. Is it cheating to us a billboard poly with a map for the candle?

What don't you like about it? I thought the first one was great... except for that drip... :)

shrox
02-15-2014, 11:54 AM
What don't you like about it? I thought the first one was great... except for that drip... :)

The wick is off center on the candle I was looking at too, so it leaves a sloped ridge, low near the flame, and higher away from it.

Shabazzy
02-15-2014, 12:45 PM
I love the catspaw one, the only problem I have with it is the chain's fixing point. I can't see it's position working in the real world as the balancing point to keep the model as level as it's doing in the picture.

Enterprise v Enterpise; I'm not that keen on the scale of the 1701 in relationship to the battleship. Having two large focus of attentions that close to each other kinda throws the whole balance off. It sort of makes the image too cramped and claustraphobic which is confusing given the environment they're in.

I'd probably enjoy it more if there were more depth and perspective in play.

Kaleidoscope; well that just works for me. Love it.

shrox
02-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Here is a frame grab from Catspaw.

And it looks like it's actually silvery.

I was trying to get a snapshot look on the 1701 hovering over the CVN-65. I might mess with it some more.

Thanks for re-titling the mirror box one, Kaleidoscope sounds much better!

shrox
02-15-2014, 01:11 PM
This is one I started last year, I'll work on it some more. The NCC-1701 hovering over the CVN-65.

What if I just ditch the aircraft carrier entirely?

spherical
02-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Well, then there wouldn't be the Enterprise/Enterprise factor. Of course, the Shuttle isn't in there, nor is the schooner. How about replace carrier with the schooner. Better juxtaposition, in both scale and history. BTW, seeing as how this is my suggestion, I'll deem it okay to do my own interpretation. Agreed? :)

spherical
02-15-2014, 05:32 PM
And it looks like it's actually silvery.

Yes, it is. I was going to cite that as a reason not to use a billboard. Reflections may be subtle but important.

shrox
02-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Well, then there wouldn't be the Enterprise/Enterprise factor. Of course, the Shuttle isn't in there, nor is the schooner. How about replace carrier with the schooner. Better juxtaposition, in both scale and history. BTW, seeing as how this is my suggestion, I'll deem it okay to do my own interpretation. Agreed? :)

Well, I already had that in mind with the shuttle and the schooner. So, no...or yes. Let's just call it quantum coincidence.

Other pieces will be:

Crystal Cave. In a crystally cave.

Shore Leave. People swimming and diving off the hanger deck of the Enterprise hovers just over an alien ocean. Maybe a few jet skis even.

Downtown. Looking up from street level in a major city intersection as the Enterprise glides over the skyscrapers.

The ISS and Enterprise

Tholian Web.

A kid's hand just as he tosses the Enterprise in the air.

Shnoze Shmon
02-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Shrox loving your work here.

As the picture from Cats paw shows if you have a wide enough candle you can have uneven/partial walls of wax around the wick.

With the Enterprise over Enterprise the carrier looks low polly next to the starship and the horizon sunset. I think rounding or otherwise reducing the sharpness of corners on the island would help.

I Love the Kaleidoscope Enterprise. Makes me regret stopping at just gemstone when I played with it. I am curious how many sides the mirror object had and what lighting aside from the ship you used.

And if what I posted gives you any ideas about your "Crystal Cave" I'd be honored.

shrox
02-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Here is the Enterprise with the HAL/Monolith.

All these are just first passes, some I might not even use. Since these are going to be large prints, I want to take the time to tend to detailing the models and stuff.

Shabazzy
02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
See now that's a sense of scale I'd have liked of seen in your two Enterprise ships. This really works for me.

shrox
02-19-2014, 10:58 PM
I rearranged the models withe the two Enterprises, I kind of like this one better, although I might reposition the carrier and add some more lights to it.

Shnoze Shmon
02-20-2014, 12:49 AM
The Monolith is really good!

Like the new angle on the 2 models. I hope this doesn't annoy you but I still feel like the starship looks a lot more real than the carrier. Maybe some texture tweaking would help. Or maybe it's that the starship is reflecting it's surroundings more.

Shabazzy
02-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Yes, this update is much better. This gives it a much better sense of scale and composition. The only thing I'd say would give me pause for thought is that I always pictured the 1701 as being a LOT bigger than a naval battleship. At least 5 to 10 battleship lengths from stem to stern. This 1701 looks about the same size (which is probably why I had a problem with the sense of scale).

Regardless, it's still amazing work.

shrox
02-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks.

The CVN-65 model isn't done yet, the two ships are about the same length, the CVN-65 is actually a little longer the the TOS NCC-1701. Both about 1000 feet long, there are lots of measures and diagrams online. The CVN in mine is the 1960-70s version, now out of commission.

I'll put them in the gallery when done.

shrox
02-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I think I might add a shuttle leaving the bay and a heli taking off from the carrier.

shrox
04-18-2014, 08:31 PM
I am entering this one in the Humboldt Arts Festival on May 17th & 18th.

"Kaleidoscope." This piece can embiggen your life for only three hundred dollars.

shrox
05-26-2014, 06:20 PM
I had an fairly good day, so I did some more on this one.

pauland
05-27-2014, 02:46 AM
The Kaleidoscope one is my least favourite - it's so busy. I'm not sure why it's supposed to be a "kaleidoscope" - the most important part of a Kaleidoscope is the symmetrical, angular patterns - which aren't present here.

One thing I might suggest - it shouldn't be obligatory to show the complete spaceship, every time.

It's a tough gig coming up with cool images/compositions for such a well known icon that's been reproduced so many times.

danielkaiser
06-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Here is the Enterprise with the HAL/Monolith.

All these are just first passes, some I might not even use. Since these are going to be large prints, I want to take the time to tend to detailing the models and stuff.

I think the reflection should be the refit 1701A.

shrox
06-01-2014, 10:42 AM
The Kaleidoscope one is my least favourite - it's so busy. I'm not sure why it's supposed to be a "kaleidoscope" - the most important part of a Kaleidoscope is the symmetrical, angular patterns - which aren't present here.

You do understand metaphor and artistic license I hope...

pauland
06-01-2014, 11:59 AM
You do understand metaphor and artistic license I hope...

I'll keep my thoughts to myself, if you don't want them.

shrox
06-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I'll keep my thoughts to myself, if you don't want them.

Well, the name of it is just a name, it could be called "Project Number 29856" or "Cylinders, a disk and some rectangles in a geometric primitive with reflective surfaces."

It was actually Shnoze that suggested "Kaleidoscope", and I liked it, better than my "Mirror Box" name I think.