PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Frames

wvp
03-04-2003, 10:53 PM
I know you can digitze one frame of video, but is there a way to grab a freeze frame ala the Amiga Toaster?
I would love to be able to grab a frame & save it in a quick manner. I could even let another machine do the actual freeze, but need to grab this image & store it quickly (like when doing an a/x roll linear edit)

Smcvicar
03-05-2003, 02:05 PM
You can accomplish that with a single mouse click. Just open up Capture and time it to grab a single frame....Create a folder where you want your images to go and name and number the first one...e.g. Party 001. Press your record button and voila. Continue onto your next frame and just press record...VT2 automatically changes the number for you. It's that easy.

slacker
03-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Well I don't know about fast, but here is one way to save:

Cue up your video to the frame you want to capture.
Hit the Print Screen key (copies a screenshot to the clipboard)
Drop into Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or even MS Paint (Shudder) and select "paste".
Crop out everything except your image and save the result.

The perk with the above method is that with photoshop you can save the image in just about every conceivable format known to man.

Regards,

Joel Slack
Media Department, New Life Christian Fellowship

RomainR
03-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Other than the above you can cue a clip in a DDR or on a TED timeline to show the frame you want to grab. Open Aura and go to Window->Video Grabber panel. Select the program out and grab.

Then you just save the grabbed picture to you favorite format.

If this is for use in TED and you have no need to reposition the still. You can simply use the hold still filter in the effects folder of your Videotoaster dir. Just place it on the clip you need a still from. I you need to use a DVE on the hold still then create a subproject and you'll be able to use a DVE on the still.

Hope this helps

SBowie
03-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by slacker
The perk with the above method is that with photoshop you can save the image in just about every conceivable format known to man. It seems a little convoluted, Joel, since you can do the same thing with a single keystroke using Aura.:cool:

SBowie
03-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by RomainR
Other than the above you can cue a clip in a DDR or on a TED timeline to show the frame you want to grab. Open Aura and go to Window->Video Grabber panel. Select the program out and grab. You may want to use Mix mode when doing this in Aura (to avoid flicker)...

Faraz
03-05-2003, 07:09 PM
The Aura method seems to work best. Since you get the capability to do correct jitter as Steve said and fix and other issues, such as color corection etc.

wvp
03-05-2003, 07:40 PM
For the record this is something I want to do outside of TED. This would be for "tape to tape" projects (can I say that here?!)
I can freeze the video with an external machine, but in Amiga Toaster you could grab video (or the external freeze frame) but hitting a button on the switcher - very simple. If you wanted to save the frame you clicked on a save icon & done!
Loading the image into the switcher was as simple as clicking on a "load" icon & locating the frame & done!

Aura or capture panel seem to be the best way to go to get it into the computer. To "play" it back it looks like I will either load the frame into DDR or possibly could capture in Aura & have Aura on a switcher input? I'll have to check that one out when I 'm at the computer.
Thanks!

SBowie
03-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by wvp
Aura or capture panel seem to be the best way to go to get it into the computer. To "play" it back it looks like I will either load the frame into DDR or possibly could capture in Aura & have Aura on a switcher input? I'll have to check that one out when I 'm at the computer.Thanks! You can set up a (single) keystroke to capture succesive images and append them to one layer, showing them on the Program Out at will by placing Aura on the DSK. You can move back and forth in the frames being displayed with the cursor keys.

Gordon
03-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Smcvicar's suggestion may still be the best for single frame captures from tape. Not only can you save each frame almost instantly to the hard drive at a location you set up, but you can also capture in progressive scan mode to eliminate jaggies. Furthermore, by using a DDR to record, you can save to the hard drive and have the frames automatically added to a DDR.

Still not quite like the Amiga with a live freeze, (which I always disliked because you couldn't capture a frame without freezing live video).

You should also be able to write a TScript to capture a frame and put the DDR on Program out automatically.

Rich Deustachio
03-07-2003, 01:59 PM
The way in which you choose to capture stills depends on what end usage of the stills will be used for. Capturing a single frame from the capture panel gives your still RTV files which is great for editing and using stills in the Toaster, but not for exporting or for printing. The Aura method is suited for capturing still that will be used to export to other applications or to be printed.