PDA

View Full Version : HDR Light Studio coming to LW!

lardbros
02-11-2014, 06:09 AM
I know everyone is talking about Matt's LA LightWave user group video... and I'm really happy that we're getting HDR Light Studio... if you've never used it, make sure you give it a look. Especially if you're into product rendering, it's invaluable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh63mOwYc0Y&list=WL1E6685283726ABE4

Knew I'd requested this, but couldn't believe how long ago it was. 2011?!?!?!

My original feature request:
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?37370_b5op24ij

Thanks Juanjo for making this a reality! It looks like a great implementation of the plugin.

Does anyone else here use HDR Light Studio??

Tim

50one
02-11-2014, 06:40 AM
I'm using it but for Modo tho, it's really great tool, Matt presentation was great and Junajo implementation looks really good, is he already aprt of LW3D ? hint hint....

rcallicotte
02-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Juan!!?? COOL. Thanks for the heads-up. This is great news!

Simon-S
02-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Awesome! When's this available?

Andy Webb
02-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Could have done with this yesterday!

Definitely looking forward to this...

zapper1998
02-11-2014, 10:33 AM
so is there a time frame when this will be available??

Waves of light
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
I thought the presentation by Matt was really informative. If this, as the new colour picker was, is to be introduced into native LW, then that has to be a bonus. Looking forward to future announcements.

prometheus
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this, nice.

Michael

Ma3rk
02-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Dang! I knew I should have gone to that meeting. Definitely something to add to my wish list.

Anyone know if the filmstrip icon in the interface was for using a sequence as the light source?

lardbros
02-11-2014, 11:45 PM
The plugin will most likely just be part of the HDR Light Studio download package... As opposed to coming with LightWave.

Once you've bought HDR LS you get access to all the plugins for free.

As for the film strip icon... I don't think the version I have does animation of light sources, but will check that icon when I get to work.

Ztreem
02-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Lovely!

spherical
02-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Once you've bought HDR LS you get access to all the plugins for free.

Not exactly "for free". Common misconception borne by creative marketing that we have been ingrained to accept. They're bundled into the price. Not what I would call a really good business model that otherwise would garner a larger buy-in. For instance, the Modo plugin with the Studio is less expensive by a significant amount. Yet, if you own any of the others, you have to pop for the whole enchilada and just waste a bunch of money on 12 plugins you'll never receive any benefit from (and so keeps many out); while some who have a lot of cash to throw around get the full benefit "for free". Now that there are more applications that can become live-connect, their approach really needs to be re-thought. This isn't exactly cheap software to start with (indeed well worth it) but, especially when added on top of the application's costs that it works with, there is only so much budget to go around and, at some point, a breaking point is reached and the manufacturer ends up getting less instead of more—because they get nothing from a lot of would-be customers.

For many, a more workable approach would be to craft a tiered pricing model that lets customers buy-in at their level and then add-on later if their stable of products increases. If their stable doesn't increase, they aren't paying for something that they'll never use:
One Live plugin = $X
Two Live plugins = $Y
Three Live plugins = $Z
Add a Live plugin = $A
Add two Live plugins = $B
Add three Live plugins = $C

Why make the entry price for more than one application be so high?

lardbros
02-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Okay, okay... Kind of splitting hairs...
It's not free as you're paying for the software itself and the plugin development is included in the cost!...

but if you invest in HDR Light Studio (aside from the versions they now do for specific versions of software plugin) you get the plugins with it. We currently use HDR Light Studio in Deep Exploration, 3dsMax, RTT Deltagen, and definitely will use it in LightWave... it's worth our time and money buying the complete one.

Also, the plugin as a whole has come down in price a fair bit since it was first released!