PDA

View Full Version : Displacement per object, not surface?

Sebasvideo
02-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Here's something I find very peculiar so I want to find out if it's really that way. Based on what I'm reading in the manual and experimenting with, if I want to add displacement to a surface, the source of the displacement being a procedural texture, I can't set the amount of displacement in the surface editor, I have to enable it from the object properties, and as far as I can see, it's enabled for the whole object, so if I want to enable only for one surface in that object, it makes a huge mess.

So in Lightwave there's no way to make a procedural a displacement for just one or more surfaces in the same object?

geo_n
02-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Use weight maps to control where you want displacements to occur more accurately.

JohnMarchant
02-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Agreed weightmaps are the best way to control it and many other things, like texturing.

creacon
02-11-2014, 01:42 AM
You can use the displacement input in the node editor (which is per surface) , then you have to activate "Enable bump" in the object properties and set a distance value.

Weightmaps will give you better control, but this is easier, can't make any guarantees of what's going to happen where the different surfaces meet.

creacon