PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave <--> Maya Interchange: Camera and Envelopes

Julez4001
02-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Guys
I need your help. Beside Point oven, are their tools to transfer Exact Camera information between Lightwave and Maya where one can constantly go back and forth.

Basically I would like to have a render of a mesh, in exact same placement in camera, with both apps' camera.

FBX?????!!!

Also can one export motion curves back and forth between each app?

50one
02-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Not sure if so ething improved with FBX recently, but it wasn't exporting any keyframes last time I've checked...

Cageman
02-16-2014, 05:54 AM
On occation, FBX can screw things up regarding cameras, but in most cases it works flawlessly.

zardoz
02-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Julez, I've used these scripts to transfer cameras from lightwave to max several times and it is perfect. I think it might work well with Maya
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/camera-i-o

but usually you after importing stuff between max and lightwave with FBX you have to adjust the Horizontal FOV to match the cameras. That's the only problem I always have.
cheers

bumpersonic
02-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi there, in the past we have always used the following script to import camera / null position and rotation data into After Effects, I only mention this because the script exports out as a .ma file (ASCII Maya file). This maybe of no use as i'm not up to date with maya anymore, but just on the off chance.

link to script:
http://mentalfish.com/2009/08/lw-2-ae/

Julez4001
03-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Julez, I've used these scripts to transfer cameras from lightwave to max several times and it is perfect. I think it might work well with Maya
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/camera-i-o

but usually you after importing stuff between max and lightwave with FBX you have to adjust the Horizontal FOV to match the cameras. That's the only problem I always have.
cheers

Did you ever come up with a solution to fix Horizontal FOV to match the cameras?
I found that if I set the Horizontal FOV to 1.01, it gets real close.

It does come very close indeed.

Do you bake out your deformations separately?
Alembic ??????

I wonder why Newtek advertises Camera Perfect matching?

zardoz
03-22-2014, 02:16 PM
well, I never sent files between lw and maya só I can't really tell. But I've used those scripts between lw and max and it works fine in all aspects.
If you do it with fbx you will get the camera fog wrong, and if it is animated then it's a big problem. If it is a fixed value it's easy to fix, just copy lws horizontal fog to max horizontal fog and it will be ok.
With those scripts it's perfect. Now with Maya...I don't know. Lately I've been sending stuff from and to xsi and fbx works fine for that, even the camera fov comes right.
Deformations we use point cache pc2 and it works all right, I never tried alembic.

Greenlaw
03-22-2014, 07:37 PM
I use LightWave's FBX export to move camera data to Motion Builder, Maya and Fusion--it works fine here. Be sure to enable Cameras, Animations and Bake Motion Envelopes.

G.

Greenlaw
03-22-2014, 07:48 PM
One more thing: if your camera is part of a rig, you'll probably want to bake its motion down to world space and then unparent the camera from the rig before exporting it. May as well keep it simple and foolproof.

G.

Julez4001
03-15-2015, 11:49 AM
Seem like FBX is the way to go for Camera Matching
This is a scene that started out in LW and then into Maya (2013).

When I did a camera match in Photoshop, I had to scoot 5 pixels to the right and 2 up to get it to exactly match.
Anybody else had to do this?

Update:

I did a select all->copy-->paste
when matching the pictures but when I do a frame flip in ACDSEE of both images they match perfectly.

In Maya, How do you get a basic no smoothing look.
I thought it was soften/harden edges but nada. The surface in Maya has the normal "icky" look.

Cageman
03-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Try this...

jasonwestmas
03-15-2015, 01:23 PM
you might have to unlock your normals in maya before smoothing the normals. FBX has a normal locking feature which can screw things up some times.

After creating your maya point cache, you could try saving a selection set in maya and then saving the maya cache inside the fbx file. In the FBX caching options you must select the selection set of the object cached. I'm not sure if lightwave can open this correctly but it's worth a go. Otherwise alembic scenes should work out fine.

Surrealist.
03-17-2015, 02:27 AM
Seem like FBX is the way to go for Camera Matching
This is a scene that started out in LW and then into Maya (2013).

When I did a camera match in Photoshop, I had to scoot 5 pixels to the right and 2 up to get it to exactly match.
Anybody else had to do this?

Update:

I did a select all->copy-->paste
when matching the pictures but when I do a frame flip in ACDSEE of both images they match perfectly.

In Maya, How do you get a basic no smoothing look.
I thought it was soften/harden edges but nada. The surface in Maya has the normal "icky" look.

In PS make sure you are using ctl shift V so the pixels line up exactly where they were. Not sure if that was your issue or not. Smoothing in Maya as Jason said you may have to unlock normals first. After that you may have to use "set to face" to get the unsmoothed look. For the usual LW smooth look use "set smoothing angle", and the default I believe is 89 just as it is in LW.